CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #231
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:
Re: My Midlife Crisis

I did a modified Fight Gone Bad today:

95 lb Thrusters
C2 Concept rower
24" box jumps
Burpees
Fists on the heavy bag

After the first round, I had to switch up the order because my legs were too dead to do sixty seconds of box jumps. I couldn't jump on the back of a cockroach by the last thirty seconds.

Second round, I did

24" box jumps
Thrusters (I tried, but couldn't complete any)
Rower
Burpees
Fists on the heavy bag

Third round, I was only able to complete the box jumps and I collapsed from exhaustion.

Next time, I need to drop the weight on the thrusters to sixty five pounds. I just couldn't handle the 95 lbs.

My last two workouts have really underlined for me how much I have lost in terms of my metcon fitness. I feel a world away from the guy who did 9 on Cindy just nine days ago. I am determined to work steadily on my metcon fitness six days a week, only taking Friday off.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:26 AM   #232
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

If there was any doubt, this confirms it: I am just terrible at pullups. I tried Annie today and stopped because I just couldn't do any more pullups. At twenty. Not unbroken. Period. Kipping like crazy.

I have improved wildly in every area except pullups. This is just so frustrating. I could do eight dead hang pullups when I started. Now I can barely do five kipping.

The last time I tried the Recon Ron program I injured my neck and had to take a week off, but I just can't spend the rest of my CrossFit career trying to avoid exercises with pullups. So, metcons and pullups have to be my focus. Recon Ron, here I come.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #233
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I completed Day 1 of Week One of Recon Ron. I will do that every morning until Week 76 or I can't keep going. I will do them when I wake up. I will progress doing each "week" for two weeks. Friday will be my break day.

At least I have a plan to fix the problem. This will be in addition to my daily metcon workouts. If I don't get better at pullups, I guess I'm just in for some very rough mornings.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #234
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I did Nancy, scaled to three rounds. This one really pushed me to my absolute limit. I had to walk twice for a few feet on the last 400 meter run, and I ran out of gas after the eleventh rep on the final set of OHS's. I had to really fight to get the last four done.

These workouts really test you. Whew.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #235
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I was so wiped out I neglected to mention that I completed the three rounds in 16:49, for the record.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:18 AM   #236
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I completed day 2 of Week One of the Recon Ron pullup program. I am working on my kipping technique as well as my strength.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:37 PM   #237
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Ben,

Sorry I haven't posted for a few - - crazy busy with work and prepping for Sunday's worship (I got to lead for the first time in several years - - what a blessing)!

I appreciated your comment on the 22nd about stress - - I was really fortunate. I never really had a stressful time on the road - - almost all of it was internal (dealing with supervisors, administrators, and unfortunately, a commander or two who had lost sight of what things were like on the road). My last seven years were probably my favorite - - I kept busy, enjoyed working in and with the public, and managed to avoid getting in wrecks.....

Great work the last several days! Have you lost much weight? I had forgotten, but even just a few pounds will temporarily deprive you of some strength, which you will gain back. The Recon-Ron pull-up program is fantastic! I used it and eventually kind of drifted away from it as I got my kip and got my dead-hang numbers up. I'm trying weighted strict pull-ups when I can, but generally, I just try and do the 10 or so warm-up pull-ups each day without kipping. I'll still kip during WODs.

Pull-ups are and exercise, like sit-ups, which you can do every day, but do be careful - - it is possible to end up with "tennis elbow" (strained tendons and inflammation in the elbow) if you overdo it. If you have access to a set of rings (or own a set), ring pull-ups will help isolate things and quickly help you develop more working pull-up strength. You can even lower the rings a bit and do supine ring rows (leaning ring pull-ups) where your feet are supporting some of your weight.

Your determination and drive continue to impress and inspire me, Ben. Blessings, and of course, continued prayers for you!

Steve
Old 07-27-2010, 12:29 AM   #238
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

Oh, thank you. And yes, I have lost five pounds. I am a solid 195 wherehas I had drifted up to 200 prior to the surgery. It appears I have lost some fat as my face is thinner. I didn't eat very well for a few days because of the pain, nausea and painkillers. I was also on nearly strict bedrest for a few days as well, so some muscle loss can be assumed. Given the brevity of my time off of workouts, I would have expected not as much of an impact, but I guess the combination of laying down and not eating hit me harder than otherwise would have been expected.

I just worked a 17 hour day, probably the longest in ten years. No workout for me tonight. Thank God every day isn't like this, or I would be as fat as a frog.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #239
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

My legs are sore from Nancy and I have a running workout scheduled for CrossFit Cal City, per Bob Guere. Sigh. I just took a couple of aspirin and am preparing myself mentally. No one said getting in shape would be easy or fun.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #240
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

Yesterday, I did day three of Week One of the Recon Ron program. I was at the box in Cal City, so I was afraid to kip because the ceiling is right above the bar. Everything went smoothly until I got to the very last rep. I had to repeat it to get over the bar.

The WOD was run a mile, 50 1.5 pood kb swings, then run a mile. This one was sheer agony. It was way, way harder than it sounded. It didn't help that a stiff wind was blowing through the desert, either, or that it was blistering hot.

I did the first mile in 12:11, but at least I was able to jog all the way. I had to take several breaks during the kettlebell portion. The trainer asked if I was feeling any chest pain, so you know how I looked.

The last mile was just walking and slowly jogging intermittently. I finished the workout in a glacial 33:44. I felt like I had just done the Ironman triathlon.

Then after a five minute rest I did three rounds of Cindy in 4:47. Horrible, just horrible.

I feel just terrible today. My abs and legs are very sore, I am tired like a dog, and I just feel like crap. I have been driving for hours every day, working long hours at the job, and pushing myself to the very limit in my WODs.

Coincidentally, I got a call from my doctor's office. My liver enzymes are elevated due to all the heavy exercise I have been putting myself through. Ever since I got back from the surgery layoff, I have been doing nothing but monster metcon workouts and it is hitting me hard.

Sorry about all the *****ing, but I am just really feeling it today. I want to go home, turn off the lights, get in bed, take a Vicodin, and just lay there until I feel better.

I have another big murder trial I am supposed to start on Monday, so I need to rest up and pull myself together for that. Momma said there would be days like these.