CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 06-22-2010, 09:33 PM   #181
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:
Re: My Midlife Crisis

After yesterday's struggle, Aha! A WOD I just knew, and I mean knew, I would do well at:

Work up to a AMRAP set of hang cleans at 135 pounds, then "Death by Pullup". Eh, pullups aren't my thing, but hang cleans are amongst my best lifts. When I got the e-mail from Bob letting me know what the WOD was going to be, I just raced an hour from Bakersfield out to California City because I didn't want to miss a chance to shine. Hey, I will take any opportunity for self-esteem when it comes to CrossFit.

Sure enough, Bob told me with a chuckle before I started my max set, "I mean, if you hit twelve or something, you can just stop." Ooohs and aaahs ensued from the ladies, who actually stopped working out and looked on with their jaws dropped as I ripped through twelve reps with good form in excellent time. I looked at him and asked, "Stop now?"

Moments like like this make me love CrossFit.

If only every workout could be like that. I really could have kept going. I could have done three more for sure and I might have hit twenty.

I remember well working out at the globo gym before I started CrossFit and trying to set up the weights for a back squat workout. I was too lazy to strip all the 45 lb plates off the bar, so I tried to just hang clean from a lower rack to shoulder height with two such plates on each side. The weight was the same as what I used today, 135 lbs. But try as I might, no matter how much effort I used, I just could not hang clean that sucker. I must have looked pretty ridiculous struggling with it over and over again. I finally had to just set the bar down on the lower rack, take the plates off, and then lift it. That was this year, not when I was in junior high school.

I CrossFit. I need to remember how I feel right now the next time the WOD includes lots of burpees.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #182
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I almost forgot to mention that on "Death by Pullup" I made it to the round of 6, plus four, using a green band and a dead arm hang pullup style. Not Chris Spealler numbers, but hey, I can't be good at everything.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #183
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Ben,

I am so glad you had the opportunity to go to CFCC and see/work with Bob. He apparently has the same take on your drive, desire to work hard, and dogged determination. Couple that with a bit more experience and knowledge of your body's capabilities (at any given time in the scheme of things) and you will progress at an amazing pace.

Another thing about CF, is that just about everyone is good at something with respect to CF. This may be rowing, running, power cleans, thrusters, or what have you. The idea behind the training concepts of CrossFit is the proficiency / competency across all physical domains - - so that we become well-rounded athletes. That's why we push ourselves......

BTW, props on the cleans and then today's work with the Death by Pull-ups!

Take care!
Old 06-23-2010, 11:06 AM   #184
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

Thanks! Yeah, I am impressed by how CrossFit does not have an inherent bias towards any particular body type, unlike football or basketball. Let's face it, if you aren't tall you have a huge disadvantage with basketball. If you aren't big, football will be impossible. But I have seen CrossFitters of both genders and all shapes and sizes who excel at one facet of CrossFit or another. The corollary to that is that every body type will have a facet of CrossFit they will find challenging.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:08 AM   #185
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I had my second good workout in a row. Today's WOD was:

3 rounds of

Run 400 meters
12 ab-mat situps
12 kb swings 53 lb kb

13:25

I believe I am actually improving my fitness. I was concerned, as always, about making sure I finished this WOD, so I kind of jogged on the runs. When I finished the WOD, I felt like I still had gas in the tank. That was the first WOD ever that I didn't feel absolutely devastated at the end. I know for sure and certain I could not have finished it back in March in any condition.

Since I started scaling my WODs I have not experienced the debilitating soreness and exhaustion that plagued me up until recently. I feel comfortable working out five days a week. On this regimen, I know I will experience huge improvements.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #186
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I feel like telling the world something. I admit it is totally off topic, but heck, it's my log, and I can say what I want.

A year ago, the bottom fell out of my universe. I had a successful law firm. When the mortgage crisis hit, Kern County was one of the worst hit counties in the entire country. My business just plummeted. A former employee filed a lawsuit against me. My new marriage soured. I had to borrow $300,000 dollars from my father to stay afloat. I became a fat, weak alcoholic who cried every day. I was the laughingstock of my community. I saw absolutely no future for me but sheer misery.

My business is turning around and the lawsuit was dismissed. My marriage is wonderful and we are expecting another child. I am in the shape of my life. I have stopped drinking. I have never been happier and more at peace.

Never give up hope. Ask God to enter your heart and He can work miracles. Never feel that your life is a lost cause. Place all your troubles in His hands. My life is a living testament to His power and mercy.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:42 PM   #187
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Ben,

What a wonderful log entry! Thank you for sharing that! Also, great job (and time) on the run/sit-up/Kb swing WOD!

You post reminded me of one of my favorites.....11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11.

God Bless you and yours! Steve
Old 06-25-2010, 12:43 AM   #188
Scott Ewan

Profile:

You just made my day!
Thank you!
Old 06-25-2010, 09:07 PM   #189
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

It was inevitable that sooner or later I would bonk during another workout. Today was that day.

I challenged Linda, scaled.

Deadlift 225

Bench Press 155

Clean 135

After 22 minutes, I was too exhausted to do any more. I completed the round of 8. I considered pushing myself harder to keep trying, but in the interest of avoiding overtraining and injury, wisdom got the better of machismo and I stopped. If you think I wussed out, please let me know.

Right now, I just want to lay down until I feel better. That was the hardest WOD ever.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #190
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I challenged myself on ring dips and did 10 unassisted. Compare that to 4-17-10 when I couldn't do one even with substantial assistance or 4-23-10 when I was able to grind out 3. I am really making a great deal of progress in a very short period of time. I need to challenge myself on pullups. I am sure I can exceed my recent PR of 10.

I also did 500 meters of rowing in 1:55. I was hoping for a PR, but oh well.

I am really wrecked after trying "Linda" yesterday. I am going to have to scale down the clean portion of that exercise to 115. Live and learn.