CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 06-20-2010, 04:40 AM   #171
Jesse Emers

Profile:
Re: My Midlife Crisis

Ben, your doing great stuff. I wish more of my friends would start CF.

Scaling workouts is obviously completely normal and necessary. As far as your naps and energy levels, I think that has more to do with nutrition than the workouts.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #172
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

Oh, thank you. When I started, I was still caught up in a very macho approach to setting the appropriate weights. I still had the same mindset I learned in conventional bodybuilding philosophy: Go big or go home. I have since been educated that there is a more effective approach to training.

As far as my exhaustion issues and my diet, I would love to learn how they are connected. I eat a very healthy diet in most respects. The vast majority of my meals are home cooked. I never eat fast food. Admittedly, I haven't been able to stick with a paleo diet (much less a zone diet). However, on the bright side, I did recently stop drinking alcohol completely. Considering how much I drank on a daily basis in the past, I am giving myself a huge gold star for that achievement. My weight is stable at around 200 pounds and I am five foot nine in height.

I just feel like these workouts are so strenuous that they are forcing me to sleep ten to fifteen hours a day or more. If you have any suggestions on how I can improve my diet to give me more energy, I would be happy to listen. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to summon the discipline to go completely paleo yet. But there was a time when I couldn't conceive of not drinking every day either, so hope springs eternal.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #173
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Ben,

Jesse brings up a couple of good points. You have the scaling down and the dietary considerations will come - - you obviously are knowledgeable to that extent too.

Recovery from all the hard work and stress you've gone through recently will take time, possibly several weeks, before you get your energy reserves back. Your body is simply telling you it needs to recharge. There are quite a few people doing CF who don't follow any particular diet. They'd do much better if they did. A sensible CF-friendly diet will make things really come together for you. Paleo or Zone are the best ways to go - - many say the Paleo Diet is preferable simply because dairy, grains, and higher glycemic-index foods are eliminated. This lowers one's susceptibility to insulin response spikes or variations which limit or sap energy. Hydration (lots of water) is also key!

Are you taking a good mutli-vitamin and supplements? Go with a good B-complex on top of a mutli, and consider (if you aren't already doing it) taking up to four grams (4 X 1,000 mg tablets/capsules) of Omega-3 / Fish-oil a day. A B-12 supplement may also be a good source of additional energy.

It's probably near impossible with the rigors and different demands of your job, as well as happenings with your children, but try to hit the sack at the same time each night. If you need a nap, go for it. I have to take one ever so often - - either don't sleep well or overdo it.....

I apologize for the longish post - - lots of things on my mind I want to share. Robb Wolf (CrossFit NorCal in Chico, CA), is a nutritionist by trade and CrossFitter by avocation. He teaches the Nutrition Certifications and seminars for CrossFit and is a Level 3 trainer. He has links to a lot of great articles and information and has posted on the CF Journal numerous times. Give his stuff a "look-see."

Blessings,

Steve
Old 06-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #174
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

Thank you for the good advice. I need to ramp up to proper dieting in the near future after I stop patting myself on the back for all the achievements I have accomplished so far.

I have an appointment with CrossFit California City tonight at six. I am really excited. They have a beautiful website, and I always like new challenges. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #175
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Hey Ben,

You are so welcome! And never stop patting yourself on the back for hard work - - you deserve the kudos. If everyone worked as hard as you have, (aside from some who would suffer from the overdoing it, as you have), we would have a ton of extremely fit firebreathers......

Glad you got a chance to get with Bob Guere at CF CC. Bob is AWESOME! You'll have a blast!

Take care and blessings!

Steve
Old 06-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #176
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen R. Lampl View Post
Ben,

Hope you're feeling better at this point. That was a tough workout and would have put a good number of people on their butts.....

BTW, if you have time in your busy schedule, while you're up in Ridgecrest (and if you can make it to California City), check out CrossFit California City. A friend of mine, Bob Guere, owns it. He runs it out of his garage right now and will hopefully be moving to a box soon. Bob is an awesome guy and would welcome you if you had the chance to get there. He also keeps up to date and is well-versed in programming and all things CrossFit. Here's a link to his affiliate (w/f/s): http://www.crossfitcaliforniacity.com

Take care!
Steve-O! Thanks for the kind words.... Ben is coming by tonight!

Bob
Old 06-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #177
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

If I end up being the only person training tonight, maybe we could work on my double unders. I won't get far at sectionals doing one at a time.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:09 PM   #178
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I did my first workout at CrossFit Cal City. They are a very nice goup of people. I noticed they all introduced themselves to me. Also, the owner is very knowledgeable and really pays a lot of attention to form.

Five rounds for time of:
45 pound barbell Overhead walking lunges, 50 feet
21 Burpees

Let trailing knee gently kiss the ground on each lunge.

I had one of those comical workouts that only CrossFit can provide. I was working out with two grown women and two teenage girls. We had all scaled the workout to the same level. I smiled inwardly at the opportunity, finally, to finish a workout first. After coming in last routinely at CrossFit Bako every time by a wide margin, I was looking forward to a change.

And by the time I finished the first set of burpees, my heart was about to pound right out of my chest. By the middle of the second round, I was seriously worried about having a heart attack. I scaled the workout back to fifteen burpees, and then just sat down. A big fat DNF. I was the picture of dejected embarrassment as all around me the women and the girls whipped through the burpees on their fourth set, seemingly without breaking a sweat. It would be as if Paris Hilton lined up next to you at Sectionals...then you collapsed at her feet as she smiled through her last set.

It really didn't help that they were all so encouraging. CrossFit metcon workouts actually penalize 200 lb seemingly beefy guys like me. We have a lot more body mass to move. Or at least that's how I seek to justify the situation.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:56 AM   #179
Scott Ewan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Greene View Post
CrossFit metcon workouts actually penalize 200 lb seemingly beefy guys like me. We have a lot more body mass to move. Or at least that's how I seek to justify the situation.
LOL Oh this sounds familiar.
I often find myself tearing through a WOD...until I get to the burpees. I was the same with yesterday's WOD - loved the lunges, then the burpees killed me.
I also use the body mass excuse. Sounds good to me!

Old 06-22-2010, 08:48 AM   #180
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Greene View Post
I did my first workout at CrossFit Cal City. They are a very nice goup of people. I noticed they all introduced themselves to me. Also, the owner is very knowledgeable and really pays a lot of attention to form.

Five rounds for time of:
45 pound barbell Overhead walking lunges, 50 feet
21 Burpees

Let trailing knee gently kiss the ground on each lunge.

I had one of those comical workouts that only CrossFit can provide. I was working out with two grown women and two teenage girls. We had all scaled the workout to the same level. I smiled inwardly at the opportunity, finally, to finish a workout first. After coming in last routinely at CrossFit Bako every time by a wide margin, I was looking forward to a change.

And by the time I finished the first set of burpees, my heart was about to pound right out of my chest. By the middle of the second round, I was seriously worried about having a heart attack. I scaled the workout back to fifteen burpees, and then just sat down. A big fat DNF. I was the picture of dejected embarrassment as all around me the women and the girls whipped through the burpees on their fourth set, seemingly without breaking a sweat. It would be as if Paris Hilton lined up next to you at Sectionals...then you collapsed at her feet as she smiled through her last set.

It really didn't help that they were all so encouraging. CrossFit metcon workouts actually penalize 200 lb seemingly beefy guys like me. We have a lot more body mass to move. Or at least that's how I seek to justify the situation.
You're a bit hard on yourself Ben! You were prudent to stop, and WOD another day. We truly have the "leave your ego at the door, or it will be summarily dismantled by the WOD" belief at CFCC. Not by design, but by the natural order of things. Remember, all those ladies have been CrossFitting at least twice as long as you, and most have been at it for 2 years. CrossFit is about movement, not about male v. female, me v. you, etc.... it's about the movement and the improvements that can be made to YOU. Competition is what makes it fun, and certainly will push you harder. But that is not where the magic lies. Nor does it lie with intensity. Intensity is just the gas pedal. The movement is the painstaking care by which you build the machine. (by the way, I'm owning that phrase)

For all your workout log readers; Ben has the drive and intensity that coaches look for in CrossFitters. It will be my pleasure to clean up his form, coach him along, and then compete against him in the Sectionals next year!