CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
Magnus E. Lauritzen

Profile:
Most efficient conditioning exercise?

In college, I am right now doing a project on the most efficient ways to do bodyweight only, conditioning.

I therefore thought you guys might wanted to contribute with your personal favorite BW-only exercise for conditioning?
Greetings,
Magnus
Old 11-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
David Patton

Profile:
Re: Most efficient conditioning exercise?

Burpees
Old 11-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Favorite? Muscleups or box jumps.

Most efficient for improving conditioning? Swimming.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
Dakota Base

Profile:

The most efficient exercise for conditioning is the one that you are willing to do a lot. It doesn't matter if burpees burn more calories and work more muscle groups than jogging if a person won't actually go DO BURPEES and would rather just go easier and go jogging. Jogging outside has the luxury of changing scenery and attaining milestones, whereas 2hrs of burpees is just 2hrs of suck. Swimming might be more efficient than running, but for years, you couldn't get me in a pool. Until last year when I started swimming, I would have rather ran 10miles in a blizzard than swam 100m.

Pretty easy research to categorize different common exercises by calorie demand. Similar to the mental state mentioned above: "Which one will you DO?" - you also have to ask which one can you do long enough to make a difference? Super high intensity workouts might burn more calories in less time, BUT, they also might not be sustainable over long intervals. For example: doing 3hrs of burpees would be an amazing calorie burn if you could do it, but not many guys can sustain that work rate for that long. Kickboxing on a heavy bag for 3hrs is sustainable, so even though it might not burn quite as many calories per rep or per hour as burpees, you'll end up burning more calories in a day doing the more sustainable workout.

Kickboxing and grappling are my favorite conditioning exercises. MetCon style workouts of varied exercises and varied intensity are my second choice. Swim, Bike, Run are my next favorite (in reverse order).

Burpees and box jumps are my favorite conditioning movements.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

What about Tabata type of training? I've even heard Rich recommending "interval" for better CVS..

Plain old conditioning exercises are plain dull. Imagine running 1h+ every day or swimming 2h+
Old 11-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
Jeff Enge

Profile:

I don't really have to imagine. I did the swimming for 13 years.

It's not like you just swim straight lengths over and over again.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #7
Dakota Base

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
What about Tabata type of training?
Takes a lot of tabata intervals to burn a lot of calories, at which point your muscles are going to be tanked. You might burn 30% more during your interval phase, but if you only do it for 4min... Let's see, 4min is 1/15 of an hour, say 1200cal per hour, that's 80calories... So you burnt off about 1/3 of a candy bar.

Long workouts really are the only way to burn lots of calories. HIIT does burn more cals in shorter time than lower intensity conditioning, but don't take it beyond reason. You can't do a 100m sprint and pretend you burnt more calories than running a mile, no matter how fast you go. If your body can handle doing 15 tabata intervals per day back to back on 3-5days a week, I envy you.

That's not to say that running, swimming, or cycling is better than HIIT, but rather to say that you can't program your HIIT so intense that you end up self-limiting your total burn by increasing your burn rate so high that you can't sustain a proper duration.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:22 AM   #8
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

The "power" of HIIT or Tabata would be that calories are burned long after yer done with training, not just during it, like with "normal" running.

But I personally dont care about calories, I want to stress my CVS so it becomes stronger and I can do all the vigorous exercises at a better pace.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:55 AM   #9
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Hm...how come I cant edit my old post?

FYI:

Quote:
A version of HIIT was based on a 1996 study[7][8] by Professor Izumi Tabata (田畑 泉) et al. initially involving Olympic speedskaters,[9] uses 20 seconds of ultra-intense exercise (at an intensity of about 170% of VO2max) followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated continuously for 4 minutes (8 cycles). The exercise was performed on a mechanically braked cycle ergometer. Tabata called this the IE1 protocol.[10] In the original study, athletes using this method trained 4 times per week, plus another day of steady-state training, and obtained gains similar to a group of athletes who did steady state training (70% VO2max) 5 times per week. The steady state group had a higher VO2max at the end (from 52 to 57 mL/(kg•min), but the Tabata group had started lower and gained more overall (from 48 to 55 mL/(kg•min). Also, only the Tabata group had gained anaerobic capacity benefits.
Whats really FTW: Also, only the Tabata group had gained anaerobic capacity benefits.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:35 AM   #10
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
The "power" of HIIT or Tabata would be that calories are burned long after yer done with training, not just during it, like with "normal" running.

But I personally dont care about calories, I want to stress my CVS so it becomes stronger and I can do all the vigorous exercises at a better pace.
Post-exercise EPOC is pretty erroneous when you consider that during exercise itself far fewer calories have been burned. FWIW, aerobic exercise also leads to EPOC, just not as much as higher-intensity exercise.

There's also the indirect benefits that aerobic development lends to anaerobic fitness, so if you want to be as well-rounded as possible, you'll need a level of aerobic conditioning as well.

Quote:
Hm...how come I cant edit my old post?
Because you left it too long.

Also, when you look at intensity of the Tabata study participants, you'll see that they were operating at a ridiculously high level during the intervals, which is a level you can't hope to match just doing bodyweight exercises at home. You can't hit that output with just burpees.

You'll also note that the interval group also performed aerobic work throughout the study, and that while gains were made faster, they tapered off, whereas the aerobic group did not taper off.

If you want to be well-rounded, it makes no sense to rely on one form of exercise for conditioning.