CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-12-2006, 10:00 PM   #1
Jordan Dotson

Profile:
So after about 6 weeks of increasing/decreasing random pain & guesstimation, I finally made it out to a university hospital yesterday, & found out that I've got some nasty inflammation in my thumb/wrist tendons that's not going away anytime soon (thank you desk job). Doc prescribed some ridiculous PT & told me not to workout for a month.

So I'll be optimistic & focus on killing my legs & core. Question time: anyone have a similar experience in which they've had to completely reorganize workouts because of an upperbody injury?
I can't do anything that puts pressure on the base of my hand, can't press anything more than a light bar, & generally can't do anything that would require me to wrap my thumb around the bar (regular, normal way). Any suggestions on how I can organize weekly workouts that only involve legs & core, maybe some light DB rotator cuff work, without overtraining?
Sidenote: Moderate deadlifts haven't seemed to bother the inflammation too awful much (neutral wrist), but just holding the bar on back squats seems to cause some resonant pain the next day.

Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated...thanks.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:01 AM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Abs- situps, GHR, hollow rocks, planks

lower back- zercher good mornings, GHR for back, deads if no pain. (Zercher moves are ones where the bar rests in the crook of your bent elbow, takes a while to get used to the "discomfort")

Legs- sprints, runs, box jumps, zercher squats, front squats with arms straight in front of you. One leg work such as pistols etc.

swimming?

Fist/knuckle pushups might work

One armed Oly work with good arm DB SN, C&J, swings.

One of the old CF journals talks about training through injury, looks it up in the FAQ I think. Pick something you can do and specialize on it, set a goal while you are injured in this area.

Can you make an ugly thumbless grip and do any pullups/chinups without agravating this?

I don't mean to make light but this injury should be easy to work around. There is more than enough to work on for a long long time. No reason why you can't sub for a year or more with this inconvenience. I would also doggedly do the rehab. moves as well. Good luck
Old 11-13-2006, 08:57 PM   #3
Jordan Dotson

Profile:
Thanks for all the good ideas, man. I've been doing knuckle L-sits & pushups, recently, as well as plenty of pullups, which have never directly caused pain, but I believe these minor degrees of pressure have been the cause for the gradual increase in inflammation.

As for exercises...I know all the things I can still do (although I'd love some more info on these Zercher movements?). I'm looking more for ideas regarding progression/periodization that hopefully others have had success with. As it's going to be at least 4-6 weeks, I know I can complete a small mesocycle, but I know 5+ days a week in the gym working legs & core could cause problems.
Nor do I have access to a pool or any place to run for that matter, being that I live in a city with disgusting (seriously, disgusting) levels of atmospheric pollution...

Okay, I'll be more specific....anyone have ideas how I can incorporate various forms of squatting & deadlifts into a workout progression with heavy doses of tabata workouts?
Are tabata fist pushups or situps as useful as say, tabata front squats?

(Message edited by Pistol_32 on November 13, 2006)
Old 11-13-2006, 09:30 PM   #4
Yael Grauer

Profile:
One day leg, one day core, one day conditioning (lower body), 1 day off. Less/more depending on if I'm still sore from last time. Tabata anything works well. There are tons of exercises you can incorporate to prevent boredom, I'll do intervals of four or five depending on what I'm doing.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:25 PM   #5
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Ironmind sells a belt squat kit. Avoids the hands entirely.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:04 AM   #6
Andy Shirley

Profile:
I was going to suggest the belt system for squatting. Elliot beat me to it.

Also Anthonyb has been destroying his legs lately due to an arm injury. Check his WOD journal.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:46 AM   #7
Jordan Dotson

Profile:
I tell you what, $100 is a little steep for 6 weeks of rehab, but I like that idea...gonna see if I can rig something up myself along those lines. Thanks for the tip...
...& for some reason or another I can't seem to locate Anthony's journal in the WOD section?

Old 11-18-2006, 08:33 AM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Jordan...with the inflammation try giving up all wheat and gluten products...I know people who almost went under surgery for wrist arthritis and then cut out all gluten and now are pain free.

Old 11-19-2006, 10:39 AM   #9
Jordan Dotson

Profile:
Wow...that sounds like a pain in the butt, but better than real pain I guess. If it doesn't ease up soon I'll give it a try. What is it about gluten that catalyzes inflammation?
Old 11-19-2006, 07:53 PM   #10
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Jordan,
A few of the journals have become stuck on the bottom of the WOD page. Look there.