CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
Vladimir Musman

Profile:
Smile Weighted hill sprints (20kg vest)

As some of you may have read on my blog - blog.intensitybringsresults.com (WFS - except for a few curse words here and there from time to time), I am training with Rick Scarpulla at Ultimate Advantage right now.

Wednesday is usually my day off where I do not commute to Ultimate Advantage after work, and generally don't train much.

However, I have a 20kg (45#) weighted vest lying around, and have wanted to try hill sprints for the longest time. So yesterday, I put it on and did 4 200m uphill sprints with the walk back down being my rest period.

I didn't realize it would be so brutally effective, my traps are sore, my calves and quads are sore as well as my abs. It was great, and only took me 20 minutes to do the whole thing!
Old 07-28-2013, 04:14 AM   #2
Andrew Joseph

Profile:
Re: Weighted hill sprints (20kg vest)

I'm sure it is a great workout, but I would be worried about the strain to my knees and ankles.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Joseph View Post
I'm sure it is a great workout, but I would be worried about the strain to my knees and ankles.
I will have to dig for the reference, but a recent exercise physiology study showed that having the incline higher on a treadmill actually reduced the jarring/impact/joint stress when running, so I would assume that uphill sprints are probably similar.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
Andrew Joseph

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Schultz View Post
I will have to dig for the reference, but a recent exercise physiology study showed that having the incline higher on a treadmill actually reduced the jarring/impact/joint stress when running, so I would assume that uphill sprints are probably similar.
The uphill part isn't what concerns me, it's the weight vest.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
Blaise Davis

Profile:

sounds like a fun time to me
Old 07-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #6
Dylan Forbes

Profile:

Hill sprints can stuff you up enough already without a weight vest if you do them with enough intensity / volume
Old 08-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir Musman View Post
As some of you may have read on my blog - blog.intensitybringsresults.com (WFS - except for a few curse words here and there from time to time), I am training with Rick Scarpulla at Ultimate Advantage right now.

Wednesday is usually my day off where I do not commute to Ultimate Advantage after work, and generally don't train much.

However, I have a 20kg (45#) weighted vest lying around, and have wanted to try hill sprints for the longest time. So yesterday, I put it on and did 4 200m uphill sprints with the walk back down being my rest period.

I didn't realize it would be so brutally effective, my traps are sore, my calves and quads are sore as well as my abs. It was great, and only took me 20 minutes to do the whole thing!
I like the vest, but only after conditioning without the vest first.

200m seems like a long hill for a sprint. I would rather keep the sprints to a distance that was in the 12-20 sec range depending on your ability and hill grade. But that's just me! I have no idea what your abilities are, and Coach Scarpulla won't steer you wrong!
Old 08-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
Adrienne Lee

Profile:

Privyet, Vlad! Ya dumayu, chto vui russkij? Izuchala russkij yazik v universitete, zhila tam odin god : )

Anyway, I tried hill sprints after reading your post. No vest, but still felt like I was going to die! I ran up two roads near me and didn't stop until I got to the top or until I got to the fence. I didn't time myself, just went all out (intensity brings results, right?!). I only did 4 sets as it was my first time (~260m, ~230m, ~260m, and ~310m, according to the map). Awesome workout, though; I can tell hill sprints are very different from flat-land sprints and will help me a great deal. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mne ochen' nravitsya chitat' tvoj blog!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
Vladimir Musman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Forbes View Post
Hill sprints can stuff you up enough already without a weight vest if you do them with enough intensity / volume
Dylan, I agree with you; and next time I will be sure to try them without the vest and ramp up the intensity with shorter sprints/rest periods just to vary it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Joseph View Post
The uphill part isn't what concerns me, it's the weight vest.
Andrew, from my anicdotal evidence (the way I felt after the sprints) everything was sore but my feet felt absolutely fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise Davis View Post
sounds like a fun time to me
It was a riot :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
I like the vest, but only after conditioning without the vest first.

200m seems like a long hill for a sprint. I would rather keep the sprints to a distance that was in the 12-20 sec range depending on your ability and hill grade. But that's just me! I have no idea what your abilities are, and Coach Scarpulla won't steer you wrong!
Aushion - I definitely agree that conditioning without the vest needs to happen first, and I kind of skipped a step there. The sprint did feel pretty awful long, but for full disclosure Coach Scarpulla did not know I did these until after the fact. I will go back to the hill and experiment with short speedy bursts without the vest. I think I may try to go find a steeper grade though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne Lee View Post
Privyet, Vlad! Ya dumayu, chto vui russkij? Izuchala russkij yazik v universitete, zhila tam odin god : )

Anyway, I tried hill sprints after reading your post. No vest, but still felt like I was going to die! I ran up two roads near me and didn't stop until I got to the top or until I got to the fence. I didn't time myself, just went all out (intensity brings results, right?!). I only did 4 sets as it was my first time (~260m, ~230m, ~260m, and ~310m, according to the map). Awesome workout, though; I can tell hill sprints are very different from flat-land sprints and will help me a great deal. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mne ochen' nravitsya chitat' tvoj blog!
Привет Adrienne, I am indeed Russian. В каком городе ты жила?

Hill sprints are evil - vest or no vest. Try to time yourself next time if only for keeping all of your sprints consistent, I did this using my phone which I also used for music. Next time I will also try varying the grade of the hill, but will go back to working without the vest for a while.

BTW - adding this in an edit - I also used a visual marker for the end of my sprint (in my case it was a parked car though) I found it very helpful to concentrate on the goal of reaching the car's front bumper instead of the extreme discomfort I was feeling

Last edited by Vladimir Musman; 08-05-2013 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: added some info
Old 08-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

As an ex track guy I hated hill sprints

Few things about them

Steeper the grade the shorter the sprint.

I would avoid a 45lb vest and stick with a 20lb until one was really sure they could handle it, and still only use it on a paved hill vs a dirt one. It might not seem like a lot but as you fatigue, one mis-step with extra weight can make rolling an ankle or hurting a knee a very likely thing to happen.

Also remember to pump those arms and drive those legs... that and try to keep from puking