CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
Jonathan Renner

Profile:
Re: Weighted hill sprints (20kg vest)

Hill sprints are great. 200 meters is a bit long though, no? What is your goal in performing them?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
Rick Schwing

Profile:

Curious?
Im going to start doing these as I live right near the ocean we have about a 30-45% hill ranging from id guess 15-25 yards depending where you start? Also have a 20# vest? How many uphill sprints do you suggest and how often a week?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #13
Jonathan Renner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Schwing View Post
Curious?
Im going to start doing these as I live right near the ocean we have about a 30-45% hill ranging from id guess 15-25 yards depending where you start? Also have a 20# vest? How many uphill sprints do you suggest and how often a week?
There's nobody in here who can answer your question if you don't give us info on what you're trying to accomplish with hill sprints. What are your goals? What does your training look like?
Old 08-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
Rick Schwing

Profile:

My bad man.
Im taking a break from gym and box for a month or so. Looking to do alot of cardio and body weight exercises. Trim down, been doing Wendler for about 6 months now. And im not to worried about strength lose.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:44 AM   #15
Jonathan Renner

Profile:

Quote:
My bad man.
Im taking a break from gym and box for a month or so. Looking to do alot of cardio and body weight exercises. Trim down, been doing Wendler for about 6 months now. And im not to worried about strength lose.
Well hill sprints would certainly fit the bill if you're looking to get in some cardio and lose some fat.

Here is a decent overview on the types of hills you can run, and what they will do for you:

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hilltrain.htm (Safe for work)

G'luck.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:07 AM   #16
John Jaeckel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
As an ex track guy I hated hill sprints

Few things about them

Steeper the grade the shorter the sprint.

I would avoid a 45lb vest and stick with a 20lb until one was really sure they could handle it, and still only use it on a paved hill vs a dirt one. It might not seem like a lot but as you fatigue, one mis-step with extra weight can make rolling an ankle or hurting a knee a very likely thing to happen.

Also remember to pump those arms and drive those legs... that and try to keep from puking
Haha,

I do them up the side of an earthen Army Corps of Engineers dam here in Columbus, not sure of the incline but it is very steep. Typically, I do either 45 or 70 yard sprints, have done them with a 30 lb vest but honestly I get a lot of doing them just BW. Also good advice on the sprinter form, not a bad idea to do a good warmup and stretch too as you can pull hamstrings. I have felt some strain in my knees but nothing bad, it is true that there is almost zero impact on joints.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #17
Vladimir Musman

Profile:

Quote:
As an ex track guy I hated hill sprints

Few things about them

Steeper the grade the shorter the sprint.

I would avoid a 45lb vest and stick with a 20lb until one was really sure they could handle it, and still only use it on a paved hill vs a dirt one. It might not seem like a lot but as you fatigue, one mis-step with extra weight can make rolling an ankle or hurting a knee a very likely thing to happen.

Also remember to pump those arms and drive those legs... that and try to keep from puking
Shawn, thanks for the advice. Problem is - I only have a 45lb vest and I don't know how many of the metal things in there I need to take out to make 20 (lol Ill try to figure it out) I also will try them today without a vest at all, as I also did not consider the fact that injury could easily happen with a mis-step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Renner View Post
Hill sprints are great. 200 meters is a bit long though, no? What is your goal in performing them?
I would say that my main goal is fat loss without performing an obscene amount of running. I have been doing crossfit and strength training for two years now and am decently strong, but I remain fat and it sucks.

Quote:
Curious?
Like I said, I did four to start - I played it by feel, as in when I felt dead tired I stopped. I would not do hill sprints more than a couple times a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Renner View Post
Well hill sprints would certainly fit the bill if you're looking to get in some cardio and lose some fat.

Here is a decent overview on the types of hills you can run, and what they will do for you:

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hilltrain.htm (Safe for work)

G'luck.
Jonathan, thanks for the link it'll help greatly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaeckel View Post
Haha,

I do them up the side of an earthen Army Corps of Engineers dam here in Columbus, not sure of the incline but it is very steep. Typically, I do either 45 or 70 yard sprints, have done them with a 30 lb vest but honestly I get a lot of doing them just BW. Also good advice on the sprinter form, not a bad idea to do a good warmup and stretch too as you can pull hamstrings. I have felt some strain in my knees but nothing bad, it is true that there is almost zero impact on joints.
Stretching is something I will definitely incorporate, as the last time I did these I kind of just went for it.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #18
Adrienne Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir Musman View Post
Привет Adrienne, I am indeed Russian. В каком городе ты жила?

Hill sprints are evil - vest or no vest. Try to time yourself next time if only for keeping all of your sprints consistent
Ya zhila v Petre letom (2007) i v Irkutske 1 god (uchebniy - c 09/07 do 05/08).

Yeah, reading these other posts, I'm getting the impression that my sprints were pretty long. Of course they would feel long, since they sucked, but 250-300m seems on the long end. No idea of the grade, but I did end up way higher than where I started : ) Next time I'll time myself - maybe I could do more reps of shorter runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir Musman View Post
I also used a visual marker for the end of my sprint (in my case it was a parked car though) I found it very helpful to concentrate on the goal of reaching the car's front bumper instead of the extreme discomfort I was feeling
Haha, yup, me too! In my case, it was also the dramatic hyperventilating noise - no need for that, gotta minimize that and exercise self-control!
Old 08-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #19
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Part of the point of a hill sprint is the ability to really work on your form while traveling a short distance and getting a heck of a workout.

You can really add some explosiveness and understanding the drive required with legs AND arms. So many guys fail to realize how important that arm swing is.

You don't want long ones all the time. Mix and match.

A day of 8 50m or less hill sprints up a good incline will do wonders

The problem with longer sprints is form starts to fail, especially after the first round. At that point your training bad form and cardio . Bad form is bad.

Guys in HS and college lost precious tenths of seconds because they spent a ton of time rollerblading. The form they used killed their form on the track. They then had to relearn good form which took time and effort.

I'd rather see some slight "bad" form in a longer jog but again your learning to run wrong and waste energy and put excess force / issues on your body. This is why pose running really try's to drill in form because IT MATTERS.

Like any movement we teach in crossfit form should be the most important thing. We strive on proper form first.

Doing 100 hang cleans in a row will probably mean my form is going to get nasty. I also lose the explosiveness designed by doing them. However 5-10 might be good because form stays tight, explosiveness is kept and I get a good workout.

Train hard and smart . While it might sound good on paper or in person, we always need to ask if this is the right way or best way to achieve the results we desire (and maybe we might have to ask if we even know what we desire).
Old 08-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #20
Jonathan Renner

Profile:

Quote:
Part of the point of a hill sprint is the ability to really work on your form while traveling a short distance and getting a heck of a workout.

You can really add some explosiveness and understanding the drive required with legs AND arms. So many guys fail to realize how important that arm swing is.

You don't want long ones all the time. Mix and match.

A day of 8 50m or less hill sprints up a good incline will do wonders

The problem with longer sprints is form starts to fail, especially after the first round. At that point your training bad form and cardio . Bad form is bad.

Guys in HS and college lost precious tenths of seconds because they spent a ton of time rollerblading. The form they used killed their form on the track. They then had to relearn good form which took time and effort.

I'd rather see some slight "bad" form in a longer jog but again your learning to run wrong and waste energy and put excess force / issues on your body. This is why pose running really try's to drill in form because IT MATTERS.

Like any movement we teach in crossfit form should be the most important thing. We strive on proper form first.

Doing 100 hang cleans in a row will probably mean my form is going to get nasty. I also lose the explosiveness designed by doing them. However 5-10 might be good because form stays tight, explosiveness is kept and I get a good workout.

Train hard and smart . While it might sound good on paper or in person, we always need to ask if this is the right way or best way to achieve the results we desire (and maybe we might have to ask if we even know what we desire).
That's why the question of what the purpose/goal being obtained by hill training is so important. If it's simply to lose some weight and get leaner, then form doesn't matter that much, and doing longer hills with not as much of an incline would be sensible.

However, if you're trying to gain some explosiveness and become a better athlete, then short hills with a steep incline, performed with good form/high knees would probably be what the doctor ordered.