CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
Joe Novak

Profile:
Inflammation and what it means

I was going to respond to a comment that someone made, but thought it would derail the thread, so I thought I would pose it to the greater board.

Do most people understand what inflammation is? Or do people in the CF community have a different definition of it than what I've always understood it to be? There was a comment along the lines of "You don't know how inflammed you are."

I don't know about you, but I sure know when something is inflamed, and I usually have a good idea about what caused it, and it isn't usually diet. My mucous membrane was recently inflammed, but that was an allergy, the result of pollen in the air (my body reacting to a perceived pathogen and attacking it.) I've had inflammation from muscle/tendon injuries, (damaged cells being delivered extra blood flow to fix the damage, not a bad thing IMO.) The worst inflammation I've ever had was a horrible ankle sprain, same situation as above. I had a wickedly infected ingrown toe that was horribly inflammed (my body reacting to a very real pathogen.)

Do people mean muscle soreness as inflammation? Swelling at the joints? GI Bloating?

Now, there are immune disorders out there that cause abnormal inflammation, that probably can be controlled or mitigated with diet. I appreciate any thoughts you might have...
Old 04-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #2
Todd Neal

Profile:
Re: Inflammation and what it means

I understand inflammation to be the body's response to, for lack of a better way to put this, something wrong. I see the term most commonly thrown around when talking about diet, usually paleo, so I just take it to mean that people are trying to avoid foods that don't do well for them.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
Chris Mason

Profile:

Inflammation is an immune response to many, many stimuli. It is necessary and only really a problem when considered in degree and when a high degree becomes chronic.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:17 AM   #4
Chris Jones

Profile:

from what i understand on some readings recently, inflammation is natural and necessary for muscle repair/healing to a certain extent. But im not sure how you differentiate between normal muscle inflammation from workouts and something that is more than it should be.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:39 AM   #5
Steve Agocs

Profile:

Relative to diet, a lot of people use the word "anti-inflammatory" and "pro-inflammatory." This may not be the best choice of words outside of the fatty acids, but that's what a lot of people mean when talking about inflammation.

For essential fatty acids, to make things simple you basically have EFA's that do break down into inflammatory mediators. You need these and they are your Omega-6's. The other pathway EFA's metabolize through gives you anti-inflammatory compounds and those are most of your Omega-3's.

This is why CrossFit and so many other people recommend Omega-3 supplementation, also due to the fact that the ratio most modern diets give of 6:3 is way off, so it benefits people to up their Omega-3 amount both to balance out the ratio as well as fight off tissue inflammation and "unseen" inflammation like what eventually causes cardiovascular problems.

The exception to this is flaxseed oil. It's Omega-3, but a lot of people lack an enzyme to convert it to DHA or EPA (which are the Omega-3's in fish oil and are compounds that are further down this metabolic chain), so for some people taking flaxseed oil actually kicks up the Omega-6 pathway inadvertently.

I have a feeling this post makes no sense whatsoever because I just finished a hard kettlebell workout. Sorry in advance
Old 04-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
Todd Neal

Profile:

I had no idea "inflammation" meant all of that, but it makes more sense than what I was saying.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

http://eatingacademy.com/tag/inflammation
Old 04-30-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
Larry Bruce

Profile:

This is a pretty good book preview wfs.

There is a holistic aspect to it, in that it's related to nutrition, lifestyle, fitness, genetics, etc. It's always an interaction.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/0307...uldandotcom-20
Attached Images
File Type: png exerpt.PNG (172.8 KB, 201 views)

Last edited by Larry Bruce : 04-30-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
Jose Soriano

Profile:

I think context for that quote is important, because it's possible that people don't know. Consider individuals with cardiovascular problems that may be due to inflammation, or gastric issues due to sensitivities towards foods - both to such a degree that normal function is affected over time, but not immediately noticeable on a daily basis. The effects of such can be as little as the inability to perform an additional rep, or a full movement, etc., which can add up over time.

If it's "you don't know how badly swollen your quads may actually be after a squat," then yeah, that's slightly less clear.

So with all the info re: inflammation that's been put out, can the OP elaborate on what the question was?

Because it seems like Todd's answer is the most applicable due to it's general nature - it's a sign or reaction indicating something is wrong.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:34 AM   #10
Joe Novak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Soriano View Post
I think context for that quote is important, because it's possible that people don't know. Consider individuals with cardiovascular problems that may be due to inflammation, or gastric issues due to sensitivities towards foods - both to such a degree that normal function is affected over time, but not immediately noticeable on a daily basis. The effects of such can be as little as the inability to perform an additional rep, or a full movement, etc., which can add up over time.

If it's "you don't know how badly swollen your quads may actually be after a squat," then yeah, that's slightly less clear.

So with all the info re: inflammation that's been put out, can the OP elaborate on what the question was?

Because it seems like Todd's answer is the most applicable due to it's general nature - it's a sign or reaction indicating something is wrong.
Todd's answer answered my question; I still disagree with "you don't know how inflammed you are" in the GI tract, eliminating gluten, etc; if you are truly gluten sensitive or celiac, you know and have known for a long time. I think that people that eliminate gluten feel better because they eliminate lots of processed foods and eat better whole foods. I could eliminate gasoline from my life too and be healthier from all the walking I would do; but it wasn't the gasoline that caused the problems. If you eliminate bread, pasta, cereal, and carb heavy snack foods, you lose weight and feel better.