CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-06-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
Drew Parrett

Profile:
How do you incorp vegetables in your diet

I don't really eat any particular way or have goals in mind I would just like to start eating more veggies. It's rarer now then in the past, but Some days I don't have any...

So I want easy ways to get them in. Obviously I could start choking them down raw, but not a huge fan of the taste of many raw veggies, but if that's what it will take I will work on it, and have been over the last couple of years.

I have been trying to make salads lately with a lot of varieties thrown in with a vinaigrette. It is the best way I've found so far. And I have tried other thing like in my eggs at breakfast, or just steaming them at dinner. I don't don't stick with it for whatever reason...

So what are so easy ways you have found to get them in to your diet. The more convenient the better. I think I will stick with it better if it seems to becomes less of the burden I have it in my head to be. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, anywhere and everywhere.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
Todd Neal

Profile:
Re: How do you incorp vegetables in your diet

Asparagus, Brussels sprouts, Broccoli, Cauliflower:
-Toss them with some oil and salt and pepper and spread them out on a baking sheet. Put them under the broiler on high for 15-20 minutes or until they're nice and brown.

Artichokes:
-Cut the stem and stand them up in a pot with an inch of water. Throw a lid on it and steam those puppies for 45 minutes or so. They go great with butter to dip in.

Kale, Mustard Greens, other hearty leafy greens:
-Saute some garlic and onion (or shallot) in a big pot, then dump the greens on top. Put an inch of chicken stock or water and cover to let them steam for 15-20 minutes.

Cabbage:
-Make coleslaw; I think it's just some mayo, a little apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper, maybe some carrots.

Hope that helps. I eat that stuff on a regular basis and it's all delicious. Best move if you're busy is to make a big batch at once (especially easy with the veg on the baking sheet) and eat it throughout the week. Don't ever make just one serving.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

I usually just have a pile of vegetables for dinner. Just get some frozen green beans, broccoli, whatever else you enjoy and toss them in some olive oil, salt, pepper, whatever seasonings you like. Takes 5-10 minutes and I usually do it whenever I am cooking the rest of my meal or reheating leftovers. If I don't feel like doing that I might have a salad.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Am I the only one whose stool gets messed up pretty badly after vegs? Seems like my body really disslikes fiber and it makes a mess

This being said my diet is very low on vegs, very...
Old 05-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #5
Jason Newland

Profile:

What about getting a juicer? It is significantly easier to drink a bunch of vegetables than it is to eat them. I'll toss in kale, spinach, celery, romaine, cucumber, ginger, green apples, and some lemon and blend up a gallon or so, and then have a drink each morning for the next few days.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:44 PM   #6
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Am I the only one whose stool gets messed up pretty badly after vegs? Seems like my body really disslikes fiber and it makes a mess

I have a feeling that is due to the rest of your diet. When I used to eat strict paleo, and subsequently low carb, I would get wrecked by anything high in fiber. I had to slowly reintroduce fiber into my diet for my digestive system to act normally again.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
Todd Neal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post

I've seen it argued that low-carb followers don't need fiber. A fat-adapted body functions very differently than what we're used to.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #8
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Neal View Post
I've seen it argued that low-carb followers don't need fiber. A fat-adapted body functions very differently than what we're used to.
No one needs fiber. They need micronutrients which are contained in vegetables, a food which is typically high in fiber.

But to the OP, another great way to get some vegetables in is to grill them. One of my favorites is to slice length wise squash and zucchini, coat with olive oil and Greek seasoning and throw em on the grill. I usually only do that when I am grilling something else too but it could be a good idea just to fill the grill up and have plenty of leftovers.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:31 PM   #9
Chris Jones

Profile:

Ill echo Todds idea with the broiled vegetables. I do this weekly with broccoli, cauliflower and onions with olive oil salt and pepper. The greens in a pan with onions/garlic are a great idea too thats quick and easy, lots of iron in there and taste good too.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:07 AM   #10
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
I have a feeling that is due to the rest of your diet. When I used to eat strict paleo, and subsequently low carb, I would get wrecked by anything high in fiber. I had to slowly reintroduce fiber into my diet for my digestive system to act normally again.
Maybe. But I do have some vegs each day, just very small amounts. Just enough to "spice up" my minced meat chilly.

But, for example, I ate a pound of cauliflower last weekend and it was a mess after.