CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
Marcus Herou

Profile:
WOD classification

Hi.

Would be really cool if someone had classified the wods into groups/categories of type. Then one could easily compose his own wod schedule.

Examples (bad category names):
Lynne: Max strength
Fran: Max anaerobic intensity with aerobic elements
FGB: ....

Or if the background for each wod was summarized somewhere one could do this mapping by himself. Is it published somewhere? Did not find it at CF Journal at least.

Even better would be if the official WOD program was explained somewhere and why each WOD is selected and what purpose it has in the bigger picture for building the perfect overall athlete.

If anyone would be able to help me out I would be very greatful.

Cheers

//Marcus Herou
Old 08-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:
Re: WOD classification

Go to a level one certification.

All the CrossFit programming knowledge (and much more) one could ever ask for...
Old 08-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
Marcus Herou

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Moriconi View Post
Go to a level one certification.

All the CrossFit programming knowledge (and much more) one could ever ask for...
Yeah, that is of course one way. Though a little sceptical about that a certification would magically give me that specific kind of knowledge (not questioning the cert itself). I live in Sweden as well so it is not that easy to just get space on a certification programme in reasonable time. First cert 1 ever was held in May, quite crowded.

Been training CF for four years now (back and forth) as complement and about two years as my major routine so I think am pretty in to the basics behind CF. Read tons of papers and exercised even more, however what I lack is articles supporting the theory behind single WODs or more precise the sequence of the WOD's. FGB is one of the few wods fully explained for example.

Since everything about CF is so scientific and open source I thought that this was a no brainer and that someone on the community would be in a share and care mode.

Cheers

/Marcus
Old 08-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Check out this thread:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?p=360512
wfs

Specifically the posts by Aushion and Simon.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

The answers you seek are in this Journal article:

Theoretical Template for CrossFit's Programming

As mentioned in the article, this is NOT the method by which the main page is programmed. Honestly, after CrossFitting for about 3 years, I can assure you that there is no set macro for the main page WOD's; at least, there's not one that's ever been used consistently for any great length of time. However, the article does explain the different "classifications" of CrossFit workouts, and offers a basic model that one might use to begin designing a CrossFit style program.

Last edited by Christopher G. Woods : 08-04-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

I suspect the main reason why they don't lay out their programming concepts for the mainpage is that everyone will deconstruct it and second-guess every WOD instead of just doing it.

Really, every single WOD is flawed or deficient in some way (too long, too short, too much/too little endurance, requires too much/little skill...). They only make sense in the context of an ongoing program of constantly varied movements. As soon as you get into thinking 'ah, i've done columns A and B already this week, time for something from column C!', you end up with something very different from the mainpage WOD schedule.

As an example, left to their own devices, would anyone out there have programmed back-to-back 10k runs based on a template for programming? Or 2 CFTs in a 3 day span (as I recall it, anyway)? But Coach did. And it seems to be working.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
Marcus Herou

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Check out this thread:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?p=360512
wfs

Specifically the posts by Aushion and Simon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
The answers you seek are in this Journal article:

Theoretical Template for CrossFit's Programming

As mentioned in the article, this is NOT the method by which the main page is programmed. Honestly, after CrossFitting for about 3 years, I can assure you that there is no set macro for the main page WOD's; at least, there's not one that's ever been used consistently for any great length of time. However, the article does explain the different "classifications" of CrossFit workouts, and offers a basic model that one might use to begin designing a CrossFit style program.
Thanks! That's great! The theoretical template is exactly what I'm looking for.

After reading the template I think that what I really asked for was if someone had classified the different wods as:

M = monostructural metabolic conditioning or “cardio”
G = gymnastics, bodyweight exercises
W = weightlifting, powerlifting and olympic lifts

That is basically the essence of this thread I think.

Cheers and thanks again

//Marcus
Old 08-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
Marcus Herou

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormac O'Connor View Post
I suspect the main reason why they don't lay out their programming concepts for the mainpage is that everyone will deconstruct it and second-guess every WOD instead of just doing it.

Really, every single WOD is flawed or deficient in some way (too long, too short, too much/too little endurance, requires too much/little skill...). They only make sense in the context of an ongoing program of constantly varied movements. As soon as you get into thinking 'ah, i've done columns A and B already this week, time for something from column C!', you end up with something very different from the mainpage WOD schedule.

As an example, left to their own devices, would anyone out there have programmed back-to-back 10k runs based on a template for programming? Or 2 CFTs in a 3 day span (as I recall it, anyway)? But Coach did. And it seems to be working.
Makes sense, however do I hate 10k runs so I never do it

Anyway I think I do not want to become a 100% crossfitter (run 10k and 100m fast at the same time). I am a little biased towards the explosive side rather than the enduring side of CF.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:54 AM   #9
Marcus Herou

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Herou View Post
Makes sense, however do I hate 10k runs so I never do it

Anyway I think I do not want to become a 100% crossfitter (run 10k and 100m fast at the same time). I am a little biased towards the explosive side rather than the enduring side of CF.
And yet today I ran 10km I really am an idiot