CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 05-20-2006, 09:54 PM   #1
Joseph Hart

Profile:
I just started BJJ. How often should I go a week to make sure that I am progressing? Everyday won't work being married with kids that I want to see. I have to squeeze in the WOD too.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:24 AM   #2
Adam Noble

Profile:
Three or more times is best to progress, so I've been told. I've been training just over a year, usually make it four or five times a week, some times more, occassionally less. Still really new to it so there is probably someone more qualified to answer this somewhere out there.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:40 PM   #3
Kevin Scott

Profile:
It is going to depend on multiple factors. I have seen people that need to go only 1x per week to progress and some who really need 2-3. The first question would be is do you have any kind of grappling experience. Wrestlers tend to pick up faster with less times per week becaue they already understand positioning, control, and movement on the mat.

Question 2 would be what kind of shape are you in and how are your joints. If you are out of shape or your joints are only so so then you will actually want to start out at 1-2 times per week so you can get used to the workload.

I think for most people you can definately make progress just going 2x a week. Some people can get progress well doing 1x per week. It depends on how you study your craft. BJJ is about understanding the principles rather than learning tons of moves. If you understand the principles of movement and submission you will learn moves easier. So if your the type of person that is good at analyzing and putting things together in your head you can progress because even when your not practicing you will be able to think about it in your head and come up with things that you can then try at the next practice.

Generally speaking the people who progress the fastest put in a lot of time. If your body can handle it you can train 5x a week or more and you will general progress much faster.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:35 PM   #4
John Hoffner

Profile:
I just started BJJ and Krav Maga simultaneously, just thought I'd chime in. The Krav is easier on the joints and provides grea CF-like fitness. BJJ is in same school but I go less than KM due to exactly what you're all saying. I'm 30 and feeling it after BJJ, much more so than a WOD or KM. I can handle the BJJ warm-ups and techniques portions, but when we get to rolling I just get worn out. I'm trying to keep it at 2-3 times a week just due to the joint pain after the 1st couple weeks.

Maybe when I can get better I won't get caught in so many submissions and they won't hurt as much...
Old 05-21-2006, 10:17 PM   #5
Mark Garcia

Profile:
at least twice a week
Old 05-22-2006, 11:00 AM   #6
Bobby A. Smith

Profile:
BJJ is much easier than the WOD. Anyone that can handle the WOD can easily handle JJ.

As far as how many days per week. What are your goals?

Bobby A. Smith
Purple Belt

(Message edited by bobbyasmith on May 22, 2006)
Old 05-22-2006, 11:16 AM   #7
Joseph Hart

Profile:
I would like to progress in learning BJJ at a moderate pace. I would also like to grapple in a tourny by fall.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:02 PM   #8
Bryan Edge

Profile:
I'll echo the 2x week reccomendation. FYI -- I'm maried with 2 kids -- I've also studied multiple martial arts (and presently study BJJ as well) for about 25 years.

I've found 2x a week is minimal for making good progress. If you can get 2x per week you should be fine -- and if you can make the occasional seminar or extra class, that always helps, of course.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:15 PM   #9
Bobby A. Smith

Profile:
Well you can't train 1 day a week and expect to win in a tourney... unless you are a prodigy.

2-3 times a week for an athletic guy should make you competitive.

I have found that seminars don't help as much as training on a daily basis and maybe a occasional private.

Now it is nice to train with an expert in your art to get their perspective, but it doesn't help you progress that much.

Privates are great, as long as you have a goal and ask the right questions.

Bobby A. Smith
Purple Belt

(Message edited by bobbyasmith on May 22, 2006)
Old 05-22-2006, 12:50 PM   #10
Kevin Scott

Profile:
I agree with bobby. If you want to compete by fall you want to make sure you do at least 2-3 times per week. 3 would be optimal if you can find the time. Private lessons are good but I found that private instruction didn't really help me until I was a mid level blue belt because i didn't understand the principles of BJJ before that and was more interested in trying to learn tons of moves.