CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-14-2007, 06:26 PM   #1
Dan Koloski

Profile:
I am following Mike Yukish's post of 2 years ago to make a 4 strand climbing rope. I have 2 questions:
1) Am I doing something wrong, or am I supposed to want to kill myself only 3 feet into this project? The tag (free) ends become entangled very quickly and I find I need to put a clamp on the rope at the point where I need to take a break to untangle the tag ends.

2) It is apparent that the inexpensive 3/8 rop eI bought is too thin. Is there a 6 strand sinnet? If yes, can anyone provide a link to an illustration on how to make one?
Thx,
Dan
Old 08-15-2007, 07:51 AM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
You're one brave soul to weave your own climbing rope, I don't think I'd have the patience. I'd imagine the braid needs to be *tight*, lest it come apart or tangle itself, and any part of one strand that isn't pulled taut means that you now have one less strand supporting the weight for that 1" section of rope.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
Bryan Veis

Profile:
This may sound like a joke, but it's not intended to be. Google "'6 strand' braid" -- you will find quite a number of sites dedicated to braiding in one form or another, including women's hair. One of the latter gives pretty good instructions on braiding 5-9 strand braids. If you throw in "sinnet" in lieu of "braid," there is at least one site that has instructions on an 8-strand sinnet -- maybe you can extrapolate the 6-strand pattern by comparing the 4- and 8-strand instructions. I'd like to hear how it turns out, I've been thinking of making my own rope as well.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:19 AM   #4
James R. Climer

Profile:
I liked the results I got with
5/8" and even better with the
1" rope I experimented with
that's used here where I work:
the width of the 4-strand was
similar to a 1 1/2" rope and has
good feature to allow solid grip.

Getting the hang of the knot pattern
requires a little patience, but the