CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-09-2004, 09:16 PM   #1
Theron Mathis

Profile:
I was inspired several weeks ago to get my poundage up in the OH squat. Dan John's challenge of BW 15x seems far off but a great goal.

One way I have thought about improving is by doing some static holds for time. Such as taking a weight that I can't currently squat such as 135 and holding it overhead with the snatch grip for 30-60seconds. Perhaps even bend the knees slightly.

My reasoning behind this is that part of the OH problem for me is not leg strength but balancing and holding the weight overhead over time.

Any other thoughts?

Theron
Old 12-09-2004, 10:20 PM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Theron,

Your idea doesn't sound bad, but my gut instinct says you would get more effective balance practice by lowering the poundage to something you can OHS fairly easily and then dropping and doing static holds in the bottom position. I think, for almost everyone, that it's far more difficult to balance in this position compared to standing or near-standing. In addition to the balance work, you'd also be getting a nice stretch.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 12-10-2004, 07:08 AM   #3
Brian Gibson

Profile:
I agree with Ryan. The bottom position in the OHS is, by far, the most difficult for me to keep my balance.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:29 AM   #4
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Nothing wrong with static holds, like Ryan&Brian have said the top position is probably far easier to hold than the bottom or parallel position.

If your arms are buckling under the weight holding at the top with heavier poundages might be a good idea.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:50 AM   #5
Dan John

Profile:

There was an original "original" article on this stuff that included some ideas:

Squatting Behind the Neck Presses: you get in the deep squat position, then press the bar up. Feel your hips "pop" into the right position.

You could simply add "Pressouts," too. After each OS, do a three to five inch pressout, then repeat.

My favorite is "Dan Love." I get behind you, put my knee in your back and grab your hands while you are in the deep position. Then, two people will grab one of your knees and pull them outwards. Then, I have you alternate between a Mr. Universe Chest and Buddha Belly Breathing. Within about a minute, your hips give up and you slide into the proper positions. Your shoulders get exhausted and you start "bone on bone" lock out rather than a muscle press.

Finally, "The Exercise" helps, too. Power Snatch to Overhead Squat...repeat for sets of five.

It will not be the result of discussion or "figuring" it out. You must push your body into it.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:53 AM   #6
chris muscarella

Profile:

Dan, could you please describe bone on bone lock-out and where and how it is applicable in the o-lifts.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:00 PM   #7
Mike Burgener

Profile:
dan????? geeeeze!! i have a few students that will take 40 kg...snatch it....stay in the bottom position until?????? that last man is still under the bar....sometimes i have seen kids hold this position for 2-3 minutes....great drill.