CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 07-27-2007, 11:00 PM   #1
Chad McBroom

Profile:
CrossFit never ceases to amaze me. I've been doing CF for a few months now. When I first started, I came across the single leg squats. I attempted to do one and landed flat on my but. I tried a couple using a doorjamb to help lower and pull myself back up. I remember thinking, "This is impossible!"

The crazy thing is that since that day, I have never attempted another single-leg squat. But today, as I was stretching to go on a run, I noticed how strong my legs were feeling as I was balancing on them. I decided to give the old pistols a try and to my amazement, I was able to do several of them relatively easily.

I believe this is a testament to CrossFit's effectiveness. Even though I had not trained, practiced or even thought about doing pistols, all of the back squats, front squats, overhead squats, and squat cleans (just to name a few) had conditioned by body to do them. That's just downright cool.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:37 AM   #2
Connie Morreale

Profile:
chad, the first time i tried a pistol i thought there was no way i'd ever do one. i still haven't, but have worked my way down to 12 inch bench.
your post has insired me. someone else who was where i was and made it! thanks for the post.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:35 AM   #3
Kevin McMillan

Profile:
oh how i wish ill be able to one day :P i have a long way down 6'6 so the pistol is pretty intimidating right now haha. been doing sissy pistols a few times a week to help... hopefully one day
Old 08-08-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
Corey Duvall

Profile:
Chad, my story is almost exactly the same as yours. Couldn't do a single pistol and after a few months of crossfitting the cindy/mary day came up again. I said, I wonder if I can do those pistols. I did the workout, 5 pistols/leg/round. And the amazing part, they were easy enough that the pullups were my limiting factor in that workout.

Keep up the work those who haven't gotten them yet... your day will come. (Got my first muscle up on a bar just 2 days ago)
Old 08-08-2007, 04:26 PM   #5
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Pistols were never really an issue with me. Of course, I am also a little scrawny guy.

One thing I have heard of people doing (for those who don't have a pistol yet), is pistols with weight in front of them. I guess it helps them with the balance portion of the exercise.

Corey, good job on the muscle up, by the ways. I got my rings just today. Once I get a good setup for them, I can start the muscle up machine.

Did I just congratulate someone other than the OP? :blush:

Um, good job on the pistols? :lol:
Old 08-08-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
Steve Lobotsky

Profile:
Chad,as Derek says puy some weight in front ,as in a 15 or 20 lb dumbell. It makes pistols so much easier. I couldn't do one before I tried this.