CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-29-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
Leon Robotham

Profile:
While watching a documentary named Children of the Chinese Circus, I could not help but be amazed at some of the feats these children were able to perform but the way they were treat reminded me of horror stories of children homes.

Has anybody seen this documentary? if so, what did you think?

I think that some of the methods were pure torture.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:35 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
What is torture to our sissified natures is just another day at the office to other cultures. In places like Thailand where you get put out as a sex slave or laborer or become a Thai boxer, being treated harshly is just part of childhood development. What do we have to show for the silver spoon treatment many of our kids get? See if you can find a Hollywood startlet that isn't in rehab or a trust fund kid that isn't a junkie, thief, drunk driver or parollee. Lindsay Lohan and Paris (gag) Hilton come to mind. I agree that they are being treated harshly but where they come from the alternative is not a walk in the park and might even be less desireable.

In this country speak harshly to a kid or dare to physically disciplne them in public and you are considered a child abuser. You will note the lack of Americans in that Chinese Circus or the Cirque de Soliel...or however you spell that.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:35 PM   #3
Garry Berryhill

Profile:
Eugene is completely right. Our nation's future engineers, doctors and fighting men (and women) are utterly undone when compared to the prostitutes, gladiators and traveling-circus performers of the third world.

If only we had learned from them before it was too late!
Old 05-30-2007, 02:19 PM   #4
John Mark Trower

Profile:
I'll be first to agree that Americans in general aren't like they used to be, but brutality for brutality's sake doesn't produce a better person. Are they great athletes because of the brutal treatment, or in spite of it? This reminds me of "300" - There is much to admire about the Spartans, but their child-rearing methods left a lot to be desired. Underweight children were left to die or be eaten, ignorant of the fact that an underweight, colicky baby can still grow up to be a 220lb elite athlete. The Russian army is notorious for severe hazing, recruits are killed by brutality that has nothing to do with training - like making a guy stand at attention to be punched in the throat or groin. Does this make them tactically superior to SEALs, Rangers, or Recon Marines, most of whom come from "soft" American upbringings? Hardly.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:35 AM   #5
Leon Robotham

Profile:
John

this is pretty much my point, you don't need to beat 10 shades out of someone to get them to perform. All coach says to get people to perform better than a drill sarg would, is do what? say 3,2,1 go!!!!

Leon.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:01 AM   #6
Darren Zega

Profile:  
Being a recent grad from a Senior Military College, I can definitely agree that there are a lot of things that are cruel maltreatment simply for the sake of someone else wanting to feel superior. However, in American society these days, so many things fall under the label of "hazing" that it's near impossible to get any good hard training done these days. My freshman year If I screwed up I could be dropped for a over a hundred push-ups if my cadre instructors wanted to. Was it fun? Heck no, but the mental and physical discipline it taught me was invaluable. Fast forward four years to my senior year and we were not allowed to make a cadet do more than 25 push-ups in a one-hour period because several freshmen felt they were being hazed and their parents threatened the university with a lawsuit.

I can surmise the laziness of the average American by one simple fact. The words 'coward' and 'sacrifice' are no longer part of our used vocabulary. Think back to the last time someone was ever called a coward or reminded what it meant to sacrifice for a cause. Outside of military, law enforcement, emergency and similar communities, these words do not exist.

In just four years I saw the youth of America (17-18 year old college students anyway) go from understanding hard work and wanting to improve, to a group that expects what I would consider coddling. You can see it in the increased childhood obesity numbers. I really hope that American youth (I’m only 22 by the way) can really find the discipline that other countries with half the privileges display.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:14 AM   #7
Emily Mattes

Profile:
I am of two minds here. I agree with Darren that Americans in general have gotten out of the habit of hard work, sacrifice, honor, discipline, and nobility (not royalty, but being noble).

But there are better ways to teach children these things than putting them out for prostitution or making them work 15-hour days in a factory. You can't learn much about the value of hard work if you've died of AIDS or malnutrition before you've hit sixteen.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:05 PM   #8
Ken Froese

Profile:
Some years back I was diving for Sea Urchins off the coast of Maine. The season was in the winter so we were diving in 29 degree water. Most local crews would dive 4 tanks and call it a day. I was working with a all Russian crew and we were diving 6-8 tanks a day.

One day our 18 year old tender got sideways in a wave and sunk his skiff. I saw it happen and dragged him to the main boat. The other diver and I dragged the skiff to deeper water and tied it to the main boat to right it again. The tender just put on dry clothes, warmed up and went back to work in the skiff. we just laughed about it and he never complained.

I could just imagine what would happen if you took an 18 year old American kid and stuck him in a skiff off the coast of Maine.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:57 PM   #9
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
Eugene,

You are WRONG!! Paris does NOT gag, I have video proof of the opposite!!

LOL!

Tom
Old 06-17-2007, 02:08 AM   #10
Alex Rosch

Profile:
I haven't seen that documentary, however, I will comment on the topic.
Remember when we were kids...and I'm only 26. If you got detention at school, that was the LEAST of your problems...because while you were sitting in a room after school, teacher was calling your parents!
Now, a kid is talking on a cell-phone, which the teacher takes away for being used inapproipraitly, and all of a sudden it's a 'safefy' issue because the kid can't txt his friends durring school hours!
Now you're abusing yer kid if they have to take out the garbage, not have a cell-phone, or have to wear pants that don't have a tag that says 'so-and-so' designed/made them.
There was a case here in Alberta (Medicine Hat) where a straight A student (give or take), went down the wrong road, that is hanging with her 23 year old boyfriend and doing drugs (cocaine, E). So the parents locked her up as the grounding and punishment escalates due to non-compliance of their 12 year old daughter (sneaking out). Pretty soon, she is locked in her room, with pretty much just a matress...she's doing better than 80% of the world's population (with respect to having a nice bed to sleep in). So finally, said deprived child conspires and kills her family with her boyfriend...This is what loving, caring people following a standard behaviour-mod protocall get (you see this in any psych hospital, Maury 'boot-camp' or Dr Phil for that matter).
Man, it sure is a different world out there...
Sorry about the tangent, and the long post :P