CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
Derek Maffett

Profile:
I am interested in getting into some kind of fitness competition. I doubt I could travel very far for one and so an online competition (video submission or the like) would probably be best.

I ask because I am looking to store up some extra money (noble cause, I assure you :happy:). If anyone knows of such competitions, I would ask you to please tell me about them so I could participate.

This might have belonged in Competitions, but I felt that it was more of a Community question (not a specific challenge but a question about a variety of unknown challenges).

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Doesn't anybody know anything about this stuff? Or is it not as common as I might have thought?
Old 08-11-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

To be completely honest, Derek, I don't think it's as common as you might think, particularly the "online" version.

The best one I can think of is the ongoing work at Concept 2 (www.concept2.com (w&fs)). Look at the "Motivation and Community" and/or "Training and Competition" links. They offer online logging (and ranking) of your current performances on the C2 ergometer. (By this method, I'm currently #1 among 85-90 year old women for 500 meters). One obvious downside: you have to have access to a C2 ergometer.

Beyond that, there are various other organizations offering competitive opportunities. The Dragon Door people offer the "Tactical Strength Challenge" (I think I have that name right) at least once a year. The "STREND" organization (I think the name is an amalgamation of "STRENgth ENDurance") offers a vaguely CrossFit-like combination of weightlifting and a 3-mile run . . . but both require in-person appearances at the scheduled venues. I don't think they have an online division.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:56 AM   #4
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:
The only one I know of is (w/f/s)http://virtualmeet.net/
but there is no money to be won just pride! It's an online powerlifting meet.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:33 PM   #5
Charles Bennington

Profile:
What kind of shape are you in? If we're comparable in performance I'd be willing to pick something to work at as a competition with you. Just a thought.

Chuck
Old 08-12-2007, 11:54 PM   #6
Derek Maffett

Profile:
What kind of shape am I in? Not "Crossfit" shape by any means. I am fairly strong (comparison to bodyweight) but not very well "conditioned." I am open to competition but it would have to be in relation to bodyweight. At 5'4", 115 lbs, I don't stand a chance of lifting as much as other people.

If you are interested in starting a competition, you could just post it in Competitions. You would get more competitors than just me, competitors that are better matches for you, and advice from a whole bunch of different people with the same goals as you. Not to mention that competitions are a great motivator to pursue your goal steadfastly.

I am actually already part of the one arm chinning competition if you want to try your hand at that. Even if you don't though, I would advice you to scroll through the topic and pick out all the useful information in there. :happy:
Old 08-13-2007, 07:56 AM   #7
Craig Loizides

Profile:
You could just do the WOD every day. If you post your results to the main page comments every day your workouts will start to feel like competitions and reading others times will help motivate you. Nothing will get you into crossfit shape faster.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
are you looking to be this type of fitness competitor?

http://www.npcnewsonline.com/new/npcrules_fitness.htm

w/f safe link

or are you looking for something more like the old "Survival of the Fittest" competition that was televised on NBC's "Sports World back in the early '80s?

If it's the latter the Crossfit competition that was just recently completed would be right up your alley.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:06 PM   #9
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Men's Fitness held two competitions recently, awarding a 1500 dollar Bowflex as the prize both times, I believe. That was the kind of competition I was talking about. Don't get me wrong, friendly competition is great, I was just looking for something where I could earn some money doing what I had learned.

I don't even know if Men's Fitness is going to do another contest like that. Jim Bathurst dominated each one.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:57 AM   #10
Richard Gonzalez

Profile:
OOoh 1500 dollar Bowflex. I could use one to hang dry my clothes from.

Any competition giving away a Bowflex is a competition not worth winning.