CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-04-2004, 08:29 AM   #1
Matt Hilliard

Profile:
If you havent noticed when you check out the examples of the workouts there are specific types of music that go along with them.....some of those exercises' music examples make me want to jump out and do those exercises right then and there.......so I bought an MP3 player and have been downloading music to it for 3 days now.....yesterday I had about 11 songs total ...mostly consisting of some of the same music you hear here......Dope's "Die Motherfer" and some Ramstein....you know the motivational music.

OK so here is my point in this thread...I was going to go do my WOD as planned when I looked outside and a storm was rolling in. So I had resolved to skip my running and just whatever I could w/ my makeshift gym at home......until I put the music on....:biggrin:

Next thing I know I am in the rain running my arse off (to Ramstein's "bang-Bang)at a pace I wouldn't normally (or didnt think I could) and all while it is Lightning and raining.....although not raining hard. I ended up running my 1.5 miles in 10:12 (personal best) I was stoked.....I went back to my shop/gym and did what I feel was one of my best WOD's ever.....true I took 3 days off,sure I may be getting a little stronger......But I think it was the music.Even at the point of muscle failure I rested for about 3-5 minutes and jumped back into it.......I couldnt catch my breath for a while,but hey that is what it is all about right?

This is just a goofy thread about my WOD yesterday but I am still stoked from it......Sohow many of you listen to music and waht kind.

I am so looking forward to todays WOD!!!!!!! :proud:

I hope this can be motivational to smoe of you
Old 10-04-2004, 08:58 AM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Matt,

I just looked at your profile. Let me get this straight. You're from Florida, saw rain and lightning, and THEN decided to go running?!?! Man, that music must have had you REALLY stoked!

Some other people have posted what kind of music they like to listen to on another thread: http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/3203.html.

I've hit some PRs lately while listening to Bowling For Soup's "Life After Lisa." Maybe we can get them to do 6 or 7 versions of it, one for each of 'the girls.'

Ryan
Old 10-04-2004, 09:02 AM   #3
Matt Hilliard

Profile:
LOL....yeah Ryan believe it or not I did.....I am training to hopefully go to the Police Academy and become a LEO in the very near future,so I kept telling myself also that "hey criminals dont stop in the rain.....so I must train like I am on the job"
And yes the music had me WAY STOKED!!!!

Thanks for the link I will check it out

I like your idea about naming the workouts.... :wink:
Old 10-04-2004, 09:20 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
There's an old police saying. . ."a good police officer never gets cold, tired, hungry, or WET" Also, you smell like a dog when your dry cleaned uniform gets wet! I guess that's what rookies are for, chasing people in the rain (I've been on the job for 15 years and am a detective now so I really don't get wet.)
Old 10-04-2004, 09:31 AM   #5
Matt Hilliard

Profile:
Now see I guess your right....being that I havent started yet I wouldnt know that......Oh well I will be so happy when I do get hired that I will be chasing anyone I suppose. I am so anxious to get into the academy and start it burns sometimes in my stomach.....kind of like the first time you kiss your girlfriend....lol

Who do you work for Larry?
Old 10-04-2004, 09:33 AM   #6
Matt Hilliard

Profile:
Nevermind I just checked your profile.....Chicago
Old 10-04-2004, 10:13 AM   #7
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Matt, you think maybe the lightning had something to do with it, as well as the music? I've always been like that in electrical storms. I'd just have to run in them. Used to drive my mom nuts. I don't know if it's just psychosomatic or physiological, but I do seem to feel really "charged up" when I'm out running or biking in a lightning storm.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:25 AM   #8
Matt Hilliard

Profile:
not really sure but I was pumped either way......it felt good to be that way
Old 10-04-2004, 10:40 AM   #9
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Funny, first time I ever ran a 5k was in a torrential downpour in Santa Monica. No lightning, but lots of rain and stares from on lookers. Of course that was about 15 years ago and I was younger and much more foolish, but it sure was a hoot!
Old 10-04-2004, 10:42 AM   #10
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Oh yeah, music. Everytime I hear "Take Me Out" by Franz Ferdinand at the gym during a WOD, I've been pumped and cut my rest time in half. Check out the strong mechanical beat. Real "popish" not exactly Rammstein, but way cool and it's my son's favorite song at the moment!!