CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-17-2010, 07:44 AM   #31
Allen Tluczek

Profile:
Re: Rhabdo... 4 days after Rhabdo. URGENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
The problem is that -- among Crossfitters -- beginners are among the most likely rhabdo victims, often due to poor programming and/or poor scaling. So you take people who are new to intense exercise, with no particular goals beyond "getting in better shape," and the first thing you do is put them in the hospital because you wanted to prove how tough your workouts are. Oops.

That's a very different situation from ultramarathoners and military athletes. Whether they know about rhabdo specifically or not, they know that they've signed up for a brutal experience, and they've often done a lot of hard training to get to the starting line.

Katherine
Which is exactly what happened to my girlfriend. Two workouts at her new gym, 6 days in the hospital.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:19 AM   #32
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
No I don't appreciate it. I find it downright offensive. Sarcasm/humor is one thing when you're dealing with silly stuff like trash talking towards other athletes, but in matters of life, death and liver failure, it is not funny at all. Do hospitals use black humor to raise awareness for cancer? Didn't think so.

Show some respect for the OP. I don't think he finds it funny either.
Again, sorry you don't appreciate it, I however do. Be as offended as you want.

CF isn't a hospital. Black humor is used all the time in anti-drug and tobacco campaigns. Seems more in line with the intent of Uncle Rhabdo.

Darla, sure it can be avoided but not unless you're aware it exists. Uncle Rhabdo did that didn't it? Black Humor by definition is going to be humor about something morbid or scary right?

I'm a former medic, I bet many of the people I helped wouldn't have appreciated my sense of humor afterward. I'm a former SWCC operator, god knows everybody there was unmercifully, sarcastic and black, didn't make'em any less effective. I'm a current counselor, I'd burn out without the ability to laugh at a tragic situation. In all of these situations folks could and have died. Still or because of that the humor abides.

And nobody has died from CF induced Rhabdo, yet, save the funeral marches for when they are needed.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:26 AM   #33
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
The problem is that -- among Crossfitters -- beginners are among the most likely rhabdo victims, often due to poor programming and/or poor scaling. So you take people who are new to intense exercise, with no particular goals beyond "getting in better shape," and the first thing you do is put them in the hospital because you wanted to prove how tough your workouts are. Oops.

That's a very different situation from ultramarathoners and military athletes. Whether they know about rhabdo specifically or not, they know that they've signed up for a brutal experience, and they've often done a lot of hard training to get to the starting line.

Katherine
Fair enough I guess, but caveat emptor too. CF is advertised as intense, so one shouldn't be surprised when it is. Additionally, didn't they find that CF induced rhabdo was most likely from people formerly accustomed to intense exercise, like the Ranger from the NY times article. I paid attention because that described me. Again caveat emptor.

And I've never gotten rhabdo, elbow tendonitis sure but not rhabdo.

I think affiliates and trainers have a responsibility here too. At my Level I rhabdo was talked about, perhaps IMO more than neccesary, and exercises to be aware of were discussed so...

Some of it is the Hoo Yah principle: Never let your motivation overtake your abilities.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:30 AM   #34
Damon Stewart

Profile:

We've had over 30,000 individual workouts without a single case of rhabdo. I'm guessing most Affiliates can say the same. Without Crossfit's emphasis on Rhabdo awareness I'm sure it would be different...like the football coach who gave several of his players rhabdo last year.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #35
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darla Powell View Post
I'm a cop. I LOVE black humor. Use it all the time. It's how we cope. The difference here is that Crossfit's black humor is about something ( for the sake of argument) it causes that can be avoided. I guarantee you I don't walk around wearing a T Shirt saying I killed someone with a funny clown on it.
It's about avoidability? I am a paramedic; I use black humor at least as much. Do you honestly feel the events that Emerg Serv workers joke about are all avoidable? I'm not sure how that's relevant.

Last edited by Rene Forestier; 12-17-2010 at 12:07 PM..
Old 12-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #36
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Tluczek View Post
Which is exactly what happened to my girlfriend. Two workouts at her new gym, 6 days in the hospital.
Ow.

I'll bet she's in a real hurry to go back, too...

If I were an affiliate owner, I'd put rhabdo avoidance very high on my list of goals.

Katherine
Old 12-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #37
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Ow.

If I were an affiliate owner, I'd put rhabdo avoidance very high on my list of goals.

Katherine
Exactly
Old 12-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #38
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Ow.

Katherine
Exactly. Thank goodness for CFs aggressive awareness efforts.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #39
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
Exactly. Thank goodness for CFs aggressive awareness efforts.
As mentioned earlier I think that a individual who has in their past exercised intensely and comes back to this form of exercise without building up to it is far more likely to induce Rhabdo than a newbie. There are SO many other forms of exercise that can induce this that I'll bet Crossfit is SUPER low percentage.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:45 AM   #40
Darla Powell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Forestier View Post
It's about avoidability? I am a paramedic; I use black humor at least as much. Do you honestly feel the events that Emerg Serv workers joke about are all avoidable? I'm not sure how that's relevant.
Read it again.