CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-25-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
Shane Christopher Imbert

Profile:
Hi there crossfitters,

I read somewhere that a workout after 70 minutes is too long a time frame for a ME workout...... something about cortisol and muscle breakdown?

I took on board the advice given to me last week for a hardgainers workout with CF. I did my first ME workout this morning which lasted over an hour (is this too long?).

I am going to repeat this program Mon, Wed, Fri and do a CF MetCon on saturdays. I have decided that I cant give up the metcon as I need to get to a low BF % before attempting mass gain program.

My ME workout as follows:

Deadlift 5X5(snatch grip, mixed grip) 5X5
Front Squat 5x5 (superset with kettlebell swings)
Bench Press 5x5 (superset with bent over row)
Military Press 5X5 (superset with SDHP)
Dips 5x5 (cant do weighted yet)
Chin ups 5X5 (cant do weighted yet)
Calf Raises 5X5 (Ok I couldnt help myself on this one, I just HAD to do it)

I am just about to order Rippetoes SS and will research a bit more on this when it arrives in the mail. Thanks again for your assistance and input here.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Cortisol does go up after 60min...want to cure that, then sip on a mix of carbs and protein during the workout. Strength workouts take longer due to the rest periods you need. If you want to speed it up you could SS opposing muscles..but that may also take away from the performance.

By first look...you are doing wayyy too much on one day too...and why the added swings, rows? Chinups shouldnt be last especially if you are struggling with them. and by the way...calfs respond better to higher reps than 5.

Rips workout are for example (off top of head)
Mon: Squat, Bench, Pullup
Wed: Squat, Press, DL
Fri: repeat Mon

Separate your Presses and DL/Chins. If you are really wanting strength...follow what the expert (Rip) tells you to...or take years trying your own ways only to find out that the expert knew what he was talking about. Takes getting used to not going nuts and overdoing it...but it works. It doesnt have to be complicated to work....and if you are doing too much or going to quick on increasing weights...you will not make alot of progress. Keep it simple...it will work...and dont think you need an advanced program...as 95% of us are not advanced lifters.

(Message edited by mike_od on February 25, 2007)
Old 02-25-2007, 08:42 PM   #3
Shane Christopher Imbert

Profile:
I was super-setting with kettlebell swings and rows to work the opposing muscle (to avoid muscle imbalances), hamstrings and upper back respectively.

I actually forgot to do squat cleans in the workout. I take your point though in the fact that I did too much, after my shower I wanted to have a nap but went straight to work.

My goal is functional mass and strength for the moment.

Thanks for your feedback Mike

Old 02-26-2007, 05:51 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
50 sets is way to much! Rip's program has you doing 11-15 sets of 5 reps. I am doing an O-lifting program with 21 sets M-W-F, but it's only a three week, advanced, concentrated program. Try 3 exercises a workout, alternate the exercises, but squat every workout. Dump the bench press and calf raises, and I'd do a low bar back squat rather than a front squat (you could load more, and that's the point). Stop supersetting, if your squatting, deadlifting, pressing, and doing pullups, your working your whole body.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:37 AM   #5
Daniel Miller

Profile:
Shane,

I thought ME, meant ala Westside barbell, max-effort and was scaled work to work up to a 1RM...and was performed only 1 x perweek lower body and one time per week upper body??
Old 02-27-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
Shane Christopher Imbert

Profile:
Hi Daniel,

I have just started Crossfit training with the Sydney affiliates in Australia. I have had no prior gymnastics or oly lifting background, only competitive swimming and lots of Ashtanga Yoga. I have not yet received my Starting Strength book in the mail as yet, so in the meantime I guess I have been making some mistakes along the way.

At this stage I am not concerned with getting a 1RM. My goals as I stated in my very first post are a high level of crossfitness, functional hypertrophy/mass (I`m a hardgainer so I cant do too much Metcon), some added strength...... although not necessarily in that order. I am also working on my rings at home and doing gymnastic skills once a week.

Crossfit Sydney and people on this forum have guided me onto Rippetoe's 5x5 program and John Beradi's "Scrawny to Brawny", who advocates 3-4 sets of 8-12reps. Pavel T states 10sets of 3 for my goals. Its very confusing.

My mass diet is in check and I am trying out each weight program mentioned above, for about a month each, to ascertain which one serves my goals more effectively.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #7
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Shane, you need to focus more on where established coaches agree than where they disagree. Although each recommends different repition ranges they all recommend consistently showing up for your workouts, bringing intensity, making measurable progress, and the importance of diet. Your idea of trying them all out is a good idea but you might want to give yourself closer to 6-8 weeks on each program before switching. If I could suggest an order I would vote 5x5 then 10x3 then 3-4 of 8-12. This way you work on "basic strength" then go to a new strength stimulus and then use the standard "hypertrophy range."
Old 02-27-2007, 04:54 PM   #8
Shane Christopher Imbert

Profile:
Hi Nick,

Thanks mate, but just for your info, I do consistently show up for my workouts (self-discipline and self-motivation has never been an issue for me....hence "lazy" and "non-chalance" are not in my vocabulary). Where I do fail is that I do too much and sometimes overtrain...which is something I am trying to address.

I`ll give 6-8 weeks for each program instead of a month and as I said my correct diet is in place.

Thanks for the feedback:happy:
Old 02-27-2007, 05:50 PM   #9
Nick Cummings

Profile:

I was not trying to imply that you were not. I was aiming to emphasize the importance. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:16 PM   #10
Shane Christopher Imbert

Profile:
No worries Nick, all good