CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-05-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Nicolas Castonguay

Profile:
Avoiding shoulder injuries, and fixing them - What's the best course of action?

This is in relation to my old post: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=25082 (wfs)

Although when I keep my shoulder blades pulled back when doing Shoulder Press, I still feel some pain, even if it's not as sharp as before. Because of this, I have decided to undergo a rehabilitation course for my shoulders to better improve them.

Question: I have two different options. Either completely cut off any WODs that directly demand heavy use of shoulders (any kind of cleans / presses / bench press), and do some RC strengthening exercises, OR keep doing the WODs, maybe at a lighter weight, but also making sure to stretch a lot before and also making sure to do the RC strengthening exercises. Since right now I am not injured, but only feel some pain, from light to mild, which option would be best?

Here are the stretches, at the bottom of the page: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/likness22.htm (wfs)
I will also do Doggcrapp's broomstick's stretch: http://www.intensemuscle.com/6997-ho...ime.html?pp=25 (wfs)
Here are some RC strengthening exercises that a member here suggested to me: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...1&postcount=74 (wfs). I will also add internal and external rotations with light weight and high reps (10-15lbs, 30-40 reps)

Once I have decided what to do (stop shoulder WODs or not), how should I do it? This is where I'm quite clueless. Should I do the RC strengthening exercises every day? How should I know when to stop doing one and switch to the next one? How should I know when I can start doing the WODs again (if I decide to stop doing them). Any info on this would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Avoiding shoulder injuries, and fixing them - What's the best course of action?

RC exercises are not the answer to all shoulder problems nor is quitting exercises or even going light. First you have to determine what the actual problem is.. mostly due to what hurts on what exercises and where.

Again, in the other thread we didn't really determine what's cause the problem. From the description of where it hurts it does NOT seem like an issue of RC imbalance (which doing RC exercises would correct) although scapular work does seem to help relieve the pain it may or may not be directly related. Retracting the shoulder blades can, for example, create a bit of space in front of the shoulder relieving impingement if that is/was indeed the cause of the problem. In effect, if you start doing stuff without determining a cause you can make it worse.

I would like to see a couple pictures of your posture (lateral, front and back view if possible) and you can highlight where it hurts on the pictures.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
Nicolas Castonguay

Profile:
Re: Avoiding shoulder injuries, and fixing them - What's the best course of action?

Alright I'll get some pictures really soon and I'll try to pinpoint where it hurts. Problem is, it's hard to tell exactly where the pain is :/ do you have any pointers to help me figure out where the pain could be? Or any kind of exercise/stretch that could trigger the pain and then tell me where it is?
Old 01-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Generally, you can somewhat tell what it is by what exercises are hurting it... but sometimes it's a bit harder than that which is why it is good to know locations.

Is yours more of a multi-area pain or one that spreads or something?
Old 01-07-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
Yong Tang

Profile:

dieselcrew has a great video on youtube for shoulder rehab protocol. there are many exercises on there i didn' konw of that are important for the shoulder, and are often overlooked. take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ONHZmsFec (wfs)
Old 01-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong Tang View Post
dieselcrew has a great video on youtube for shoulder rehab protocol. there are many exercises on there i didn' konw of that are important for the shoulder, and are often overlooked. take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ONHZmsFec (wfs)
That's actually a very good video. I would recommend it to anyone with shoulder problems. All of the exercises have intended targets whether it be the RC or scapulae or whatnot.

The only thing they don't target is thoracic mobility which does affect the shoulder though so add in some overhead squats and/or SOTS presses along with some stretching and you're good to go.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:23 PM   #7
Bryant Yee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Castonguay View Post
Although when I keep my shoulder blades pulled back when doing Shoulder Press...
Aren't you supposed to elevate your shoulder blades when doing shoulder presses (the shove your shoulders to your ears technique) rather than pulling them back? And then depress/retract them when doing the opposite motion (ie. pullups)? I thought the idea on both being that the shoulder blade supports the weight better/more naturally. Please correct if wrong.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:52 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Strict presses, HSPUs and maybe thrusters should more or less have the active shoulders you're talking about where you shove them as high as you can to keep them active (aka push them as far away from the socket as possible.

As far as push presses, push jerks, split jerks, snatches, overhead squats and any of the more violent ones or stabilizing heavy weights above you will retract and elevate them because it provides a much more stable base to support the weight from. You're not so much using your arms in this case to elevate the weight which is why it's not the same as the brute strength strict press or HSPUs and other things of that nature.

Good question though Bryant. I had to think about it for a little bit.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:45 AM   #9
Nicolas Castonguay

Profile:

Alright well I got some minor update. I've pretty much figured where it hurts in my shoulder, and tonight, I will take the pictures you asked and pinpoint on them where it is painful. As for the type of pain, I've realized yesterday that it's the same type of pain that I feel in my elbows (although not as sharp) when I do too heavy skullcrushers... I'm guessing that would be AC pain? Because I already injured my RC once at work (according to the doctor, not to me) and I'm pretty sure the kind of pain was different then what I'm feeling when I do presses or other shoulder exercises.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

Uhm, well, elbows and shoulders are totally different joints.. so it can't be similar, lol.