CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
Fellippe Galletta

Profile:
No love for the bench press

I've noticed there's not a lot of love for the bench press at CF. I hear that's it's not as functional as the other lifts, but if it's considered 1 of the 3 main powerlifting lifts, it can't be all that bad.

I wonder if it's a knee jerk reaction to hate on the quintessential globo gym lift....a lot of CF dudes (but not all) have no chest.

Anyways, wanted to hear what people thought.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:
Re: No love for the bench press

I bench once a week.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
James Yates

Profile:

There is no reason to NOT bench, so I do it... but I don't base my manhood on it or make it my primary focus or follow it with flys or do 5 sets flat, 5 sets incline, and 5 sets decline.

It is an excellent pressing movement for strength, certainly functional. You do not need to be lying flat on your back to use the strength you will gain from BP.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
SP

Profile:  

I don't bench because it inhibits my shoulder flexibility for my olympic lifting.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Tom McFarlane

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellippe Galletta View Post
I've noticed there's not a lot of love for the bench press at CF. I hear that's it's not as functional as the other lifts, but if it's considered 1 of the 3 main powerlifting lifts, it can't be all that bad.

I wonder if it's a knee jerk reaction to hate on the quintessential globo gym lift....a lot of CF dudes (but not all) have no chest.

Anyways, wanted to hear what people thought.
Crossfit has intentionally marketed itself as a counterculture fitness program, so the "bench and bis"' get no love.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

My name is Bob, I've been benching since high school, I do some butchered version of CrossFit and Westside and I still bench.

Lots of boxes bench, just not on a regular basis. Usually as part of a strength program. A lot use Wendler, many use some version of Starting Strength and many are using a Conjugate model now too. CFFB uses it too.

Bench has never been a main CF movement, but is has its uses and has never been banned or forbidden. It's been taught in its Powerlifting and Strength Seminars.

Probably part of the reason why it is not a movement you see in the games is to keep the sport unique compared to other strength sports.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:45 AM   #7
Brian Flynn

Profile:

The bench press isn't functional unless you're trying to push a 300 lb. woman off you.
Go ahead, bench if you want creeky shoulders. You're better off doing pushups, dips, inclines.
Once I stopped benching, 2 years ago, I haven't had any shoulder issues.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:54 AM   #8
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

We do bench every now and then, strangely my bench press numbers now with just doing CrossFit are as good if not better than they ever were. I guess all the pushups, burpees, ring dips, etc we do have been working pretty well.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:27 AM   #9
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Flynn View Post
The bench press isn't functional unless you're trying to push a 300 lb. woman off you.
Go ahead, bench if you want creeky shoulders. You're better off doing pushups, dips, inclines.
Once I stopped benching, 2 years ago, I haven't had any shoulder issues.
Maybe your shoulders hurt because you were doing something wrong. As in your form. With your way of thinking, then why do pushups, dips, muscleups, cleans, snatches, double unders, burpees, SDHP, butterfly kipping pullups, etc.

Nothing wrong with benching. I always thought there wasn't too much benching in CrossFit because some boxes weren't set up or well equipped to do them, and it would be too safe to incorporate benching in a Metcon, although that hasn't stopped some coaches from programming dangerous stupid stuff in the past.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:56 AM   #10
Mark Martinez

Profile:

Benchpress(BP) prior to CF stagnated at 225.

Last BP session done as a cooldown was at 295.

I don't benchpress, hardly but maybe every six months now.