CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-22-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
Francis Palattao

Profile:
Sell or store crossfit equipment

I'm currently planning to sell my place. My basement right now is complete with my crossfit equipment.

Rogue Bar/Bumpers
Squat Rack
Stall Mat
Kettle bells
Jump boxes
Rings
Matts
Sledge Hammer
Tires
Bands
Concept 2 rower
Slam Ball
Dynamax Med ball

Now my dilemma is the new house I'm getting will close on 2013, and I'm currently going to rent a finished basement in the meantime. Should I consider storing all my equipment or sell some large ones like the rower since there is some maintenance required.

In the meantime I'm going to be joining a box so I wont really be needing the equipment.

Thoughts and opinions please?
Old 08-22-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: Sell or store crossfit equipment

I guess it just comes down to economics. How cheap are you getting the storage for? Some storage units around here run about 150-200 dollars. Anything less and it probably wouldn't store a lot of equipment.

But basically I guess just figure out how much you're going to be paying per month x however long you're going to be storing it and see if that comes out to less than it would cost to just buy all new stuff (plus shipping) when you're ready for it.

However, another consideration is that when you're ready to have your garage gym back you're going to have just bought a brand new house and you're probably going to want some stuff for it, so at that time spending a couple thousand dollars to re-build your garage gym might not seem like a smart idea to you. If you keep all your equipment you won't have to make that decision because you'll already have it all and any money you spent on storing it....well it's already gone

I think my vote goes to keeping it just so you don't regret not being in a position to get it back later.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Palattao View Post
I'm currently planning to sell my place. My basement right now is complete with my crossfit equipment.

Rogue Bar/Bumpers
Squat Rack
Stall Mat
Kettle bells
Jump boxes
Rings
Matts
Sledge Hammer
Tires
Bands
Concept 2 rower
Slam Ball
Dynamax Med ball

Now my dilemma is the new house I'm getting will close on 2013, and I'm currently going to rent a finished basement in the meantime. Should I consider storing all my equipment or sell some large ones like the rower since there is some maintenance required.

In the meantime I'm going to be joining a box so I wont really be needing the equipment.

Thoughts and opinions please?
If I were you, if I had the room I'd hang on to the following being as they're small and a bit more expensive. (if you can keep them in a corner of your basement)

Rogue Bar/Bumpers
Squat Rack
Stall Mat
Kettle bells
Jump boxes
Rings
Matts
Sledge Hammer
Tires
Bands
Concept 2 rower
Slam Ball
Dynamax Med ball
Old 08-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I think I'd add the rack to that list too just because it's a pretty big purchase and if you dismantle it, it won't take up much room.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
I think I'd add the rack to that list too just because it's a pretty big purchase and if you dismantle it, it won't take up much room.
I was actually debating adding the rack to the list, but those are easily acquired on craigslist if you are diligent. But yeah that can also be added to the list if you have the room.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
Francis Palattao

Profile:

Thanks for the reply guys.

I'm also leaning towards selling the rack as I dont mind getting a new one since I got mine used. Plus I can sell them on craigslist.

right now I'm thinking of selling the rower, mats and power rack.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Palattao View Post
Rogue Bar/Bumpers (What plates/weight?)
Squat Rack (What rack?)
Stall Mat
Kettle bells
Jump boxes

Rings
Matts
Sledge Hammer
Tires
Bands
Concept 2 rower
Slam Ball

Dynamax Med ball
Hey Francis. In the event that you end up deciding to sell some of your equipment, please do not hesitate to PM me. I love buying new equipment and happen to be about 30 mins away from Milton, in Vaughan (Toronto).

The bolded items are things I would be interested in. If you DO decide to PM me, we could discuss prices and such.

Regards, Daniel
Old 08-22-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
Don Fell

Profile:

sell it to me

i pm'ed you too...
Old 08-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

I have another alternative to propose to you...

FIND SOME FRIENDS THAT WANNA BORROW SOME EQUIPMENT FOR FREE!!!

Seriously, if you have decent equipment, it's not like that stuff's gonna go bad. Plus it's not going to see commercial use. I sold some stuff I didn't need, then the rest I moved to two different friend's garages till I figure out where I'm gonna live. This will keep you from wasting money on storage fees. You don't even have to do it for ALL your equipment... just the stuff that's too big. You can hold on to the small stuff if you like (like others have suggested).

In my case, I am at least now able to make a better (and less rushed) decision in case I DO have to sell my equipment later.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Jeremy Galo; 08-23-2011 at 03:25 PM..
Old 08-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Galo View Post
I have another alternative to propose to you...

FIND SOME FRIENDS THAT WANNA BORROW SOME EQUIPMENT FOR FREE!!!

Seriously, if you have decent equipment, it's not like that stuff's gonna go bad. Plus it's not going to see commercial use. I sold some stuff I didn't need, then the rest I moved to two different friend's garages till I figure out where I'm gonna live. This will keep you from wasting money on storage fees. You don't even have to do it for ALL your equipment... just the stuff that's too big. You can hold on to the small stuff if you like (like others have suggested).

In my case, I am at least now able to make a better (and less rushed) decision in case I DO have to sell my equipment later.

Hope that helps.
Actually, thats a pretty good idea.