CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
Kristin Schoepfer

Profile:
Red face Last 10 lbs? Keto's not working.

Hey everyone. 5'9" female here, 145#, about 23% BF.

I've been Crossfitting for about 8 months now, and have eaten cleanly (read: paleo with monthly cheat days) the whole time. I like how my body composition has changed thus far (gaining muscle), but it just seems that I'm not losing much fat at all. I'd love to get down to about 18% BF. I've tried a few months on the cyclical ketogenic diet with no real fat loss. When going back to just plain ol' paleo, I made sure to keep carbs under 150g/day, because I notice the inches just stack on my midsection when carbs are over that amount. I've tried staggering my calories to break this plateau (2 days hi, 2 days mid, 2 days low, repeat), nope. These past 3 weeks I've gone back to keto, keeping carbs well under 40g/day. 0 change on the scale and in tape measurements.

Any tips out there to lose those last 10 lbs? I understand it gets harder to lose fat as one gets closer to their goal BF%, but I'm just getting frustrated at this point. I'm considering the LeanGains technique (intermittent fasting), but not sure if it will be worth the hassle.

Help please?
Old 08-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Dave Mahoney

Profile:
Re: Last 10 lbs? Keto's not working.

What is your sleep like?
Old 08-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
Kristin Schoepfer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mahoney View Post
What is your sleep like?
Definitely could be better. Think that could be the problem?

Last edited by Kristin Schoepfer; 08-19-2011 at 08:25 PM..
Old 08-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin Schoepfer View Post
Hey everyone. 5'9" female here, 145#, about 23% BF.

I've been Crossfitting for about 8 months now, and have eaten cleanly (read: paleo with monthly cheat days) the whole time. I like how my body composition has changed thus far (gaining muscle), but it just seems that I'm not losing much fat at all. I'd love to get down to about 18% BF. I've tried a few months on the cyclical ketogenic diet with no real fat loss. When going back to just plain ol' paleo, I made sure to keep carbs under 150g/day, because I notice the inches just stack on my midsection when carbs are over that amount. I've tried staggering my calories to break this plateau (2 days hi, 2 days mid, 2 days low, repeat), nope. These past 3 weeks I've gone back to keto, keeping carbs well under 40g/day. 0 change on the scale and in tape measurements.

Any tips out there to lose those last 10 lbs? I understand it gets harder to lose fat as one gets closer to their goal BF%, but I'm just getting frustrated at this point. I'm considering the LeanGains technique (intermittent fasting), but not sure if it will be worth the hassle.

Help please?
How will losing those 10lb improve your performance? Why 10?

At 5'9" 145, and 23% bodyfat there is virtually no way you need to lose 10 lbs. You could do with gaining 20lbs of muscle because you fall into the "skinny fat" body at this point. Your body is lacking muscle - Go get more quality rest, lift heavy weights, eat clean and be generally active.
http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-p...nd-percentages
http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/
(wfs)
Old 08-19-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
Kristin Schoepfer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
How will losing those 10lb improve your performance? Why 10?

At 5'9" 145, and 23% bodyfat there is virtually no way you need to lose 10 lbs. You could do with gaining 20lbs of muscle because you fall into the "skinny fat" body at this point. Your body is lacking muscle - Go get more quality rest, lift heavy weights, eat clean and be generally active.
http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-p...nd-percentages
http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/
(wfs)
After doing some calculations, losing 8-10lbs would put me at 18% BF. I know I could stand to put on some more muscle, and I plan to. I'm still making great gains in my lifts. I suppose getting down to 18% BF is more for vanity than performance. I also wouldn't consider myself 'skinny' by any standards.
But it is always nice to feel like you look good while kickin' butt in the gym....
Old 08-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
Chris Mason

Profile:

Do you know how many calories you are consuming on a daily basis?
Old 08-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #7
Kristin Schoepfer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Do you know how many calories you are consuming on a daily basis?
Roughly 1800-2100 on training days, around 1500 on rest days with at least 145g of protein/day no matter what.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:36 AM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin Schoepfer View Post
After doing some calculations, losing 8-10lbs would put me at 18% BF. I know I could stand to put on some more muscle, and I plan to. I'm still making great gains in my lifts. I suppose getting down to 18% BF is more for vanity than performance. I also wouldn't consider myself 'skinny' by any standards.
But it is always nice to feel like you look good while kickin' butt in the gym....
Sure, if the weight you lose is nothing but fat. But its hard to burn only fat, just like it would be hard to gain 10lbs of only muscle.

I agree with Rebecca--at 5'9" and 145lbs it's more likely you need to add muscle rather than burn fat. Putting on a few lbs of muscle will improve your body composition and make you look leaner, particularly if you give the muscle time to help crank your metabolism up and burn fat for you. Look at the
height/weight for the top women at the Games--most who are 5'9"+ are in
the 160-170lbs range and they look great.

What kind of training are you doing? About a year ago my girlfriend did the 70s Big program (ie lots of heavy lifting and a few metcons) and even though she gained about 8lbs her stomach got a lot flatter and her pants started falling off her at the waist because by lifting heavy she was burning fat and replacing it with muscle.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
Zach S

Profile:

Stress and sleep quality can play a huge role in fat loss. Make sure those are in check.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
Kristin Schoepfer

Profile:

Thanks, y'all. I'll definitely work more on adding muscle and managing my sleep patterns. The scale is my worst enemy from here on out, I suppose.