CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
Amber Napoleon

Profile:
USAF hatred of VFF

I'm just trying to understand why the Air Force hates Vibram Five Finger shoes. For a long time they were banned in PT attire, and now they're allowed at some bases... as long as you're wearing socks. What the heck? Aren't they designed to make it feel like you're barefoot? I've always hated socks. How I longed, as a child, for the day when I'd be grown up enough to decide whether or not to wear them. Foiled.

I'm wondering if the AF's incentive for making VFF's uncomfortable is a deal with a different shoe company. Or maybe it's just that the ones making the rules are a bunch of old folks with old-timey ideas - the ones who set the standard of female fitness at running a mile and a half in sixteen minutes and doing 18 pushups and 38 crunches. I'm waiting for the DOD to hire Tracy Anderson, but I'm digressing into a completely different rant.

Anyway: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Last edited by Amber Napoleon; 08-17-2011 at 10:01 PM..
Old 08-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
John McCord

Profile:
Re: USAF hatred of VFF

The AF has never banned the use of VFFs in PT attire...repeat, never.

Some leadership at the unit level may frown on their use, but Big AF has (to date) not provided any guidance on the issue, that I know of. Unfortunately unit leadership can add to existing guidance as they see fit, for the most part.

The AF has, however, always required the use of socks, specifically white socks, long before VFFs went mainstream.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
John McCord

Profile:

Strangely enough I had more trouble with my green Inov-8s than with my VFFS in PT gear, apparently green is not conservatively colored.

I could go on for days about the other issues I have with the AF PT program and uniform.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:

well, the Army recently banned them and in typical AF fashion to copy all things Army, I'm sure they'll be banned also in the AF.

the unwritten policy out here is you CAN wear them and be without socks while actively exercising. For "casual" wear, you must have on socks
Old 08-17-2011, 11:07 PM   #5
Amber Napoleon

Profile:

Casual wear? Like when PT shirts could go untucked while exercising but you had to go straight back to Urkel afterwards?
Old 08-18-2011, 04:59 AM   #6
Dave Mahoney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Nedorolik View Post
well, the Army recently banned them and in typical AF fashion to copy all things Army, I'm sure they'll be banned also in the AF.

the unwritten policy out here is you CAN wear them and be without socks while actively exercising. For "casual" wear, you must have on socks
Who knows. I was sure the Navy was going to ban them but just came out with a message allowing them.