CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
Justin DiCarlo

Profile:
Zone diet? Where to begin...

Hey guys

Been crossfitting for a little over a year, and i guess i am ready to take my nutrition to the next level. i have been doing paleo...and i initially lost a lot of fat. However..i am a really hungry person..and with paleo...i lose track of how much i am eating...and have a tendency to overeat.

So i have gained strength...and my muscles are bigger than ever. The only problem is that I am would like to start doing muscle-ups..and getting faster at my WOD's..and the extra fat I have gained with it is slowing me down. i would like to ultimately keep my strength...but would like to start melting some of this fat away.

i hear Paleo/Zone is effective at this...but I do not know where to start. if it is a ton of work...it will be hard for me to follow..does anyone have a place or book they can guide me too..any experience where you guys were looking to loose about 10#'s of fat and keep strength gains? The zone just really confuses the hell out of me.

Just to let you know..i am 5' 9" and weigh about 195#'s

Thanks!

Justin

Last edited by Justin DiCarlo; 06-05-2012 at 09:47 PM..
Old 06-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Doug Blankenship

Profile:
Re: Zone diet? Where to begin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin DiCarlo View Post
Hey guys

Been crossfitting for a little over a year, and i guess i am ready to take my nutrition to the next level. i have been doing paleo...and i initially lost a lot of fat. However..i am a really hungry person..and with paleo...i lose track of how much i am eating...and have a tendency to overeat.

So i have gained strength...and my muscles are bigger than ever. The only problem is that I am would like to start doing muscle-ups..and getting faster at my WOD's..and the extra fat I have gained with it is slowing me down. i would like to ultimately keep my strength...but would like to start melting some of this fat away.

i hear Paleo/Zone is effective at this...but I do not know where to start. if it is a ton of work...it will be hard for me to follow..does anyone have a place or book they can guide me too..any experience where you guys were looking to loose about 10#'s of fat and keep strength gains? The zone just really confuses the hell out of me.

Thanks!

Justin
The best advice I can give in your current situation is to Not start the Zone diet. Sounds like you're already on the right track. The Zone diet isn't going to make you do muscle ups, or increase your performance just by doing the calorie restricted diet that is the Zone.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Hey guys

However..i am a really hungry person..and with paleo...i lose track of how much i am eating...and have a tendency to overeat.

This is both the problem and solution, and the reason you should not do zone. if you want to lose fat and not muscle then you will have to keep track of how much you eat. if you are already not having the discipline to keep track of how much you eat then trying to switcht to a diet that requires you to track EXACTLY how much you eat is not the answer. instead, try to start keeping track of what you eat now, and then slowly start eating a little less. lossing fat and not muscle is a long term process, you aren't going to lose 10lbs of fat in a month without losing muscle, at least the majority of people aren't. if you can lose 1 or 2 pounds of fat a month you are doing good. plus you body will not have the desire to rebound back to your current weight and body fat level once you reach your goal. if you are eating alot of fruit or potatoes, then cut back a serving or two. if you are having alot of really high fat stuff, lower the fat just a litle. go to lean cuts of meat, use less oil or butter, etc. but trying to go from not tracking what you eat at all to micr0-managing it is probably not the best way and is also probably not necessary.

The zone just really confuses the hell out of me.

yet another reason not to do this diet. trying to do something by yourself that you don't have a firm grasp of is not a good formula for success.

you are certainly not much overweight. what is your current body fat % that you feel you need to focus on fat loss? what are your current lift numbers, run times, etc?
additionally, what programming are you following and what does your workout schedule look like? you may very well be able to lose the fat and burn the extra calories without changing your diet at all.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
Justin DiCarlo

Profile:

Well..I workout approx 4 days per week. It really is quite varied really...but i am getting in the Strength 2X per week...and there is usually a metcon on all 4 days. Should I just start running the track 1X per week to make it 5 days...

You are saying that I should not have to change my eating habits at all? I can stand to lose approx 10-15 pounds of fat I think. I am as strong and as big as I have ever been...but there is a bit of fat that has come along for the ride.

Cheers

Justin
Old 06-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
Sara Mathews

Profile:

As someone else mentioned... staying on the path you are on and starting to track your calories would probably be more helpful than adopting a whole new plan. Your problem with paleo is opposite of mine, I tend to feel so satisfied and lack of cravings that I have to work to get more calories in, this is partly why I've switched more to primal. From looking at the Zone, I was very confused as well and didn't want to micromanage that much.

A calorie and macro nutrient tracker like myfitnesspal.com could be really helpful. Just go in and manually set your goals, their default system is way out of line for paleo. I also find the exercise calorie tracker doesn't work well with crossfit, so I set my goals high enough to accomodate activity level and don't bother with tracking exercies. Simpler.

Good luck!
Old 06-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

I agree with the above that you shouldn't go zone. But, you should start to track your macro-nutrient intake (protein, fat, carbs). Although the zone quantities (total calories or 'blocks') may be insufficient for you, I do recommend the zone macro-nutrient breakdown (40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein) as a good starting point. These percentages will most likely vary as you figure out what works best for your body and training schedule. Personally, I am closer to 33% each with fat and protein a bit higher.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
Travis Denman

Profile:

still no idea where to begin.........
Old 06-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
Diane Sanfilippo

Profile:

I would also consider looking at the nutrient density of the foods you're eating. Are you getting a TON of micronutrients along with your macronutrients? Or are you eating the same foods all the time- chicken breast, broccoli, coconut oil for example?

What about food quality? Are you getting grass-fed meats and pasture raised eggs? These foods will deliver MORE to your cells giving them (and you) more energy without more calories.

What about organ meats? HUGE nutrient density in foods like liver versus poultry (again, for example).

I highly recommend the Fermented Cod Liver Oil/Butter Oil blend supplement from Green Pasture (no other brand as this one is made quite differently than any other) - it contains a very dense amount of fat soluble vitamins that are hard to get from food all the time- A, D, E, K2-- also some omega 3 content as well as CoQ10 which helps with performance and recovery-- worth checking out.

And, agreed, don't go Zone- you'll likely lose energy and strength versus gain it. Belly fat is often a result of not enough sleep, stress, too much sugar and/or liquid food (spiking insulin).
Old 06-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Sanfilippo View Post
I would also consider looking at the nutrient density of the foods you're eating. Are you getting a TON of micronutrients along with your macronutrients? Or are you eating the same foods all the time- chicken breast, broccoli, coconut oil for example?

What about food quality? Are you getting grass-fed meats and pasture raised eggs? These foods will deliver MORE to your cells giving them (and you) more energy without more calories.

What about organ meats? HUGE nutrient density in foods like liver versus poultry (again, for example).

I highly recommend the Fermented Cod Liver Oil/Butter Oil blend supplement from Green Pasture (no other brand as this one is made quite differently than any other) - it contains a very dense amount of fat soluble vitamins that are hard to get from food all the time- A, D, E, K2-- also some omega 3 content as well as CoQ10 which helps with performance and recovery-- worth checking out.

And, agreed, don't go Zone- you'll likely lose energy and strength versus gain it. Belly fat is often a result of not enough sleep, stress, too much sugar and/or liquid food (spiking insulin).
Welcome to the nutrition section of the CF board, Diane! Very cool to see you post here as you bring a great deal of expertise and knowledge.

As usual everything you said above is spot on, although I would have to disagree with the last sentence above the Zone Diet. It really wasn't until I starting zoning my 90/10 Paleo Diet when I really noticed performance improvements in the gym including strength gains, body comp changes and overall improved well being.

I think the combo of eating Paleo-friendly foods in Robb's "Skin the Cat" Zone protocol (subbing 3 blocks of fat for 1 block of carbs) produces excellent results. Eyeballing my food portions have become a breeze these days so I don't have to deal with weighing and measuring meals/snacks.

I definitely wouldn't recommend this eating to everyone, but I think it is worth giving it a try for at least 2 months as I can speak firsthand of the results.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #10
Dave Mahoney

Profile:

Quote:
Hey guys

Thanks!

Justin
Look at the bold because it does not make success. You had success and lost fat, gained muscles and "muscles are bigger then ever." Yet you also say you have gained fat, how much and how are you tracking this? Sounds like what you are doing is working so why change it.