CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-28-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
Gordon Mckendry

Profile:
Hanging Rings from Tree

I'm all psyched to get going on my rings, a great way to keep the upper body strong while I nurse a snapped tibia back to health. I have a beautiful Big Sur Oak right outside my shabin, but I can find no guidance on the best way to hang the rings. The limb I intend to use is about 11 inches in diameter and is relatively level at the point I want to attach to. I just don't know the best way to do it so that spinning, catastrophic failure, or any other negative is eliminated. If anyone has a method I would be truly grateful. The only idea of I've come up with so far is strapping a 4x4 to the underside of the limb with three straps - one securing each end and the middle of the 4x4 to the limb - and having eyebolts for the ring straps on each end of the 4x4. It's crude, but it's the best of I've come up with.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:
Re: Hanging Rings from Tree

How about just running the straps through sections of garden hose to protect the straps from rubbing against the bark. Then just throw the straps over the branch and run them through the buckles. The straps on the rings are very long, so you should have plenty of length. This method is easy and won't kill your tree.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
Gordon Mckendry

Profile:

Thank you, Eva. I'm almost embarrassed realizing that I should have thought of that. The limb is pretty high, so I may have to run some chains through tubing and then maybe clip biners on the ends so I can just click my straps in from there. Great idea!
Old 03-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
Greg Boyd

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Mckendry View Post
I'm all psyched to get going on my rings, a great way to keep the upper body strong while I nurse a snapped tibia back to health. I have a beautiful Big Sur Oak right outside my shabin, but I can find no guidance on the best way to hang the rings. The limb I intend to use is about 11 inches in diameter and is relatively level at the point I want to attach to. I just don't know the best way to do it so that spinning, catastrophic failure, or any other negative is eliminated. If anyone has a method I would be truly grateful. The only idea of I've come up with so far is strapping a 4x4 to the underside of the limb with three straps - one securing each end and the middle of the 4x4 to the limb - and having eyebolts for the ring straps on each end of the 4x4. It's crude, but it's the best of I've come up with.

If I were you, I would get some tubular webbing. Loop it around the limb a couple of times and secure it with a water knot. You can use hose as a protective measure if you want. Then get a couple of carabiners to secure the rings to the webbing loops. With this set up you can come and go as you please and take the rings with you if you go out of town.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
John Lough

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Mckendry View Post

Why hang rings from Tree? Better to hang from the rafters of your cabin.
That way all weathers work.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:20 AM   #6
Vincent Tam

Profile:

I hang my rings off a tree too. I nailed two nails about an inch apart on the top of the tree limb and hung the strap in between the nails. I did the same for the other strap as well. It's worked fine so far, and my limb's not parallel to the ground.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
Morgan Guthner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boyd View Post
If I were you, I would get some tubular webbing. Loop it around the limb a couple of times and secure it with a water knot. You can use hose as a protective measure if you want. Then get a couple of carabiners to secure the rings to the webbing loops. With this set up you can come and go as you please and take the rings with you if you go out of town.
Thats what I'd do.