CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
Michael Halbfish

Profile:
While normally I train bare grip, I keep a pair of gloves that I will use for about one 3 days cycle every 3 months. I use it only when caluses rip and start bleeding or causing major interference with my workout.

However, lately it seems that I'm having more challenge with ripping. I suspect that the culprit may be that lately I've been doing a lot of my pullups on a bar with foam padding. In the past I only used metal bars. I think my caluses are getting whimpy from the cushy bar.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
Luke Hope

Profile:
I've only ripped my hand badly once, this was doing a 5km row on the C2... which has a foam handle.

Perhaps it's the extra grip due to the foam padding that's causing the rips?
Old 07-08-2007, 10:19 PM   #3
Ian Carver

Profile:
The extra tacky grip caused by foam or rubber handles can often be too much for the hand to deal with. Unlike a metal bar, where the hand has some degree of movement ever so slightly due to moisture, re-gripping,etc., the rubber bar takes hold of the skin and does not allow for this minor movement of the grip. This in turn causes the layers of skin to pull and tear against each other since there is nowhere else to go, which in turn leads to tears in the skin between layers. In essence, your hands really lock into a set position on a rubberized surface and all friction goes directly to the skin and it's underlying layers. I have found the skin usually tears, it doesn't really callous up and rip. I'm sure the skin would toughen up over time, but I am in no desire to go through that process for leather mitts. I use gloves if I am ever on something with a tacky surface for an extended period of time, otherwise it's just chalk, skin, and steel. Hope this explanation helps.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:56 AM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Injuries