CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
mike vinson

Profile:
Yeah that's right...i did a double under

i've been setting about 5 min a day aside for DU. been CF since jan and got tired of not being able to do them. i have a some questions.

1. i did a few of them this morning but i have to lean forward and jump higher. is this going to mess me up later when i try and string them together?

2. i actually ended up doing 3 but it was in a 1-1-2-1-1-2-1-1-2 format. what should my next progression be 1-1-2-2 ?

3. if the WOD calls for 50 is it ok to use the 1-1-2 format and just count the 2's ?

4. i keep slapping my toes (hurts like a bear). i'm using one of the plastic bead ropes. are the leather ropes better?

5. I'm 5'8. what is my appropriate rope length?

6. i've watched a few videos and they were very helpful.

7. this was an exciting day for me i needed this!!!

thanks guys, mike

Last edited by mike vinson; 03-08-2013 at 09:57 AM..
Old 03-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
Hoku Kinzie

Profile:
Re: Yeah that's right...i did a double under

First of all congrats and may many more DUs to you!

1. Try not to put yourself into a pike position as you jump. Keep your body tight and your gaze fixed straight ahead. It can also help to extend your feet so your toes point down a while keeping your legs as straight as possible.

2. The 1-1-2-2 progression sounds good. It will give you some practice stringing a couple in a row. But if you start to struggle take it back to the 1-1-2-1-1-2.

3.You can do a 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-2-1-1-1-1-1......and still have your DU count. Just remember that it will take twice as long and you'll tire yourself out a bit more.

4. No offense but both the beaded and leather ropes suck! Invest in a quality speed rope with bearings. This is a crucial piece of equipment all CFers should have IMO.

5. When you fold a rope in half by stepping on the middle of the rope, the handles should come up to your armpits.

6. Check out Carl Paoli's site Gymnastics WOD. It's a wealth of info for a lot of bodyweight and skill movements.

7. Congrats and good luck with the Open!!

Hoku
Old 03-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Joseph M DAndrea

Profile:

I've done 2 DU's more by mistake really. lol
Old 03-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
mike vinson

Profile:

hey, its a big deal to me. im pretty sure i can shoulder press your current DL max at least 8 times. we both have things to work on. lol
Old 03-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
Kelli Talaska

Profile:

Hey Mike, congrats! I can still only string a few, but before that, my pattern was 1-2-1-2-1-2. a) The single gives you a second to reset if your posture isn't amazing. b) It's a little less tiring than straight DUs for those of us with a bit of extra weight.

Regarding posture, I'd look up Chris Spealler's video on double unders. Ideally, you don't want to be doing anything weird like leaning forward, piking, or donkey kicking.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
Joseph M DAndrea

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vinson View Post
hey, its a big deal to me. im pretty sure i can shoulder press your current DL max at least 8 times. we both have things to work on. lol
I wasn't insulting you. I am still working on my DU's that was the point I was making. I really cant do them the ones I have done have been by accident. Those PR are crossfit PR's I dont count what I was able to do when I was 19.

As far as having stuff to work on I assure you Olympic type lifts are the least of my worries.

I realize how my post could have been misconstrued I didn't mean to come across like a ******. I stopped going to global gyms to avoid the type of a-holes who run their mouth about what other people can and cant do.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
mike vinson

Profile:

my bad, that was uncalled for on my part too...... what are the "CF skills" that i can expect. so far i've seen; DU, muscle ups, handstand walks. i like working on these on off days.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
Joseph M DAndrea

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vinson View Post
my bad, that was uncalled for on my part too...... what are the "CF skills" that i can expect. so far i've seen; DU, muscle ups, handstand walks. i like working on these on off days.
I already had a good foundation in a lot of crossfit stuff from playing football.

Jumping rope in general especially DU's I lack the coordination for (and endurance for that matter which is my biggest weakness)

I am basically lost on most all the gymnastic type stuff. It will be a long time before I do handstand pushups. I am sure I am strong enough for it but to gain the balance required to do a handstand and a pushup will take some time.

It's weird helping other noobs out with their back squat form and watching them run circles around me on the metcons.

I'm not overly thrilled with my kettle bell swings either. I have short T-rex arms which doest help with the dead lifts and KB swings.

I can say though I can see myself getting better every day.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Jessica Seabright

Profile:

Congrats!! I'm still working on DU's.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Mike, DUs, Congrats on getting the first of them. A better(faster, lighter) rope will help greatly.

1 On DUs try to keep a straight body and BOUNCE high on your toes, Really high. Hands should be forward of your body, thing wrist speed, not arms.

Check this video out for pointers WFS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXovowbMsLE

Other skills other then barbell work. Kettle bell work. hand stand pushups, hand stand pushups with hands raised, single leg squats, alot of ring work, but you got muscle ups so I dont thing ring work is an issue.