CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
Sharon Ohayon

Profile:
New Here, New to Crossfit - Few Qs??

So I haven't signed up for Crossfit yet, but I got a 6 month membership for Xmas and I'm looking to sign up. The gym near my has intro classes on Weds at 630pm, so I'm likely to go tomorrow.

Just curious - how often am I supposed to go to see good results? I know diet is like 75% and I have a fairly good diet, it needs a bit more work, but I'm getting there.

The goal I have is to lose 2 dress sizes by July. That gives me 4 months to go from a 10/12 to an 8 to fit into a bridesmaid dress I ordered a size or 2 too small so that I would have some serious motivation. If my diet is good, how often should I go to reach this goal? I would even love to be a 6, even if it means having to pay extra for alterations.

How long before you see results? I have a really bad problem of losing motivation if I don't start seeing results fairly quickly.

Were you more or less tired as a result of doing Crossfit? I'm assuming you get more energy b/c you're working out, but are the workouts so extreme that they exhaust you?

How long are the classes and what should I expect in a typical class?

Thanks in advance for all the info!!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #2
Chris Jones

Profile:
Re: New Here, New to Crossfit - Few Qs??

First of all i want to say that its simply AMAZING that somebody gave you six months at a crossfit box, thats a ton of money i wish i wouldnt have to pay every month lol. But seriously, id like to know if losing this weight so you can fit into your dress is the main reason that youre looking to get into crossfit/diet changes or if this is something youre looking to do long term.
The classes are usually an hour long, and many consist of a warmup routine followed by some strength work and finish with the MetCon, or conditioning part of the workout. With a really good diet and doing crossfit 3-4x a week you will most likely see results very quickly, but again youre going to build some muscle so you may not exactly get smaller like you think you will. Lot of things to think about to get you to your specific goal, which you didnt really specify other than losing a couple sizes so i hope this helps.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #3
Chris Jones

Profile:

PS
Sharon, if you decide not to use that 6 month membership id be happy to take it off your hands
Old 03-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
Hoku Kinzie

Profile:

Results vary from person to person depending on diet, training, genetics, and other factors. And like Chris said you'll probably start to see some very noticeable muscle growth at some point (but it's a good thing ). Once you start attending the classes (the first and most important step) you'll meet a bunch of new people who will be more than willing to give you advice on things like your diet, recovery, and mobility work. When I first started I always left my class with this amazing high from all of the endorphins. And once I altered my diet my energy levels went way up! Since you got the 6 mo. membership for free, I would suggest using it till it expires as long as you're not injured or time permits. From what I've seen in the past I'll bet that you'll continue CF after those 6 months have passed. Have fun!!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Sharon Ohayon

Profile:

Thanks guys!

Crossfit is actually cheaper down South than it is in NY. My fiance and I can join a couples Crossfit unlimited membership here for the same price it would cost once of us in NY, so we're pretty excited about this opportunity. (We just moved from NY).

Losing the 2 dress sizes is my short-term goal. I have about a million goals. One of them is "looking better" - losing weight, getting smaller, tighter, having a flat stomach and beach body, etc - which includes losing about 35lbs that I gained about 2 years ago. The others are about being stronger, fitter, healthier, etc. I'd love to actually be able to do a pull up for once in my life!

My diet is pretty good, I think - lean protein, no bad/white carbs, tons of vegetables, healthy fruits, nuts/seeds, only 1/4c of dairy at most a day. It is not Paleo - I do still eat like 1 slice of bread a day or 1/2c of brown rice and I do eat legumes and I still have a bit of dairy. It's just smaller portions, very clean and lean. I eat 5x a day. I'm working on getting more water in.

My thoughts were to do it Sun, Mon, Wed, and Thur and do something active on Tues and Sats that is cardio related - running, hiking, kayaking, etc. Something outdoors on Sats, preferably. I just wanted to make sure that this was a good amount of time - enough to get me to my goal in 4 months, but not too much that it will be something I can't handle having not worked out in abuot 2 years.

Even if I build muscle (which is one of my 500,000 goals), as long as I'm also leaning out and losing fat, I'm sure I will get smaller. I know muscle takes up less space than fat, but weighs more and also helps you burn more calories during the day, and also looks pretty hot - and helps with doing pullups. So, yes - muscle, please!

Anyway - thanks for the responses!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
Chris Hohn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Ohayon View Post
So I haven't signed up for Crossfit yet, but I got a 6 month membership for Xmas and I'm looking to sign up. The gym near my has intro classes on Weds at 630pm, so I'm likely to go tomorrow.

Just curious - how often am I supposed to go to see good results? I know diet is like 75% and I have a fairly good diet, it needs a bit more work, but I'm getting there.

The goal I have is to lose 2 dress sizes by July. That gives me 4 months to go from a 10/12 to an 8 to fit into a bridesmaid dress I ordered a size or 2 too small so that I would have some serious motivation. If my diet is good, how often should I go to reach this goal? I would even love to be a 6, even if it means having to pay extra for alterations.

How long before you see results? I have a really bad problem of losing motivation if I don't start seeing results fairly quickly.

Were you more or less tired as a result of doing Crossfit? I'm assuming you get more energy b/c you're working out, but are the workouts so extreme that they exhaust you?

How long are the classes and what should I expect in a typical class?

Thanks in advance for all the info!!
Lucky you! I wish someone paid for my Crossfit . But honestly it's the best investment I've made.

I think how often you go is based on how you and your body feel. I started Crossfit a little over a month ago and began @ 5x a week. I wasn't in particularly great shape either. I was sore, but generally not sore enough that I desperately needed a rest day.

But I'm definitely seeing the results already. I won't step on the scale for another 2 months because it will look like I haven't lost any weight when in reality I've built muscle and shed fat. I have noticed that I've been moving a notch or 2 down my belt which is a great feeling and am beginning to gain some definition particularly in the legs.

I too get frustrated if I don't see results but that is definitely not the case. I'm pretty much addicted to it to the point that I think about it all the time. We had snow up here in the NE today and I couldn't make the morning WOD and I feel like crap. I think you'll notice that you feel much better as oppose to looking much better at first. But you'll definitely notice a difference.

I actually feel much more energetic and get a better nights sleep. I'm exhausted directly after the workouts because they are intense, but I'm still able to go right to work and function for 8-10 hours. I no longer need that morning cup of coffee.

As for workout length, mine have probably averaged 20-25 minutes. Don't let the time fool you though. It's a helluva 20-25 minute workout. That was part of the allure for me because I HATE spending an hour and a half at the gym. It gets really boring. I feel in that 20-25 minutes that I get a better workout than I would spending an hour and a half with my old routines. I may not be the best to answer a typical workout, but at my Box we have MetCon days and strength days. MetCon days are generally lifting combined with things like situps, lunges, runs for rounds or time. Strength days are focused on a single olympic lift where you're going for max weight. But this is a generalization. It's always different which I love.

Best of luck to you and welcome!

Last edited by Chris Hohn; 03-08-2013 at 10:06 AM..
Old 03-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
Edward Park

Profile:

That's Awesome Sharon! I have been Crossfitting for about 6 months after having plateaued on a quasi serious bodybuilding/ Long distance running regimen at the gym before and have gotten great results. Something I would note for the 7x week schedule is to remember to please let your body rest! progress and strength are gained from letting your body heal itself. This is noted also because you had mentioned that it has been some time since you last took on a serious training program so you need to let you body reorient itself to this new level of conditioning.

Maybe just trying out 3 days at your Box and then program in two cardio focused recovery days and see how your feel from there? if body gives you all green lights then by all means ratchet up the program and days to attend. Just found with myself I got over excited by the sheer range of new skills and activities to learn and tried pushing through the pain and found myself with a awesome over training induced injury in my shoulder which put me out for a couple weeks.

Welcome on Athlete!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
Joe Wannebo

Profile:

Understandably you have a lot of questions. Don't let all of your questions about how long a training session it will be or how many days a week you should go hold you back from starting. Many individuals literally talk themselves right out of even joining CF or even a workout routine because they have beat themselves up over all the questions they really cannot answer without trying first.

You know what they say...you will never know till you try it.

Just listen to your body. If you think you can handle it....you can! If your having feelings of doubt...EXPRESS THAT! Its normal to have those feelings. Just address them immediately and look forward towards the future and your current goal. The diet stuff you can dial in once you have started. I always find it easier to diet when I am on a regular regiment then to just diet without exercise.

Good luck!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
Sharon Ohayon

Profile:

Thanks for all the help everyone! I just wanted to make sure I didn't do too little or set a goal that was impossible to achieve. It seems like it's possible if I really dedicate myself. I will take it one day at a time and see how my body reacts. Thanks again!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
Sharon Ohayon

Profile:

Just wanted to update that I tried it out today and I really liked it. I was afraid it might be like boot camp with people yelling and pushing at you and that's not really my thing - so glad it's not like that at all!

However, they want us to do the On Ramp program which is 3x/week for the first 4 weeks to introduce us to the exercises. I think that's great, but I would like to go more than just 3x a week to start plus it doesn't start for 2 weeks. I hope they allow us to come in and keep doing some introductory classes between now and then because I don't want to lose the momentum - I'm motivated now, who knows what will happen in 2 weeks? lol But I'm the type of person that once I'm in it and I develop a habit and it's easy for me to continue, then I'm good to go. It's so much easier to maintain!

Are all the WODs "For Time"?