CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-12-2005, 11:35 AM   #1
Jason Berger

Profile:

http://www.westonaprice.org/bookreviews/index.html

Interesting link to WAP Foundation's opinions of Barry Sears' and Loren Cordain's books. I'm more inclined to side with the Foundation, but it was strange to discover they were in conflict.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:26 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Sally Fallon is the reviewer for those books and has a serious axe to grind with Cordain and Sears. She and Mary Enig have worked on many projects and have offered up some good information...they strongly dislike soy, which I like, but some of their methods are highly questionable.

Sally Fallon does a straw-man character asasination on Loren Cordain by questioning his ability to do science because his PhD. is in exercise science (she calls him an "over glorified PE teacher). That is crap. If you have issues with the man go after his body of research which he posts for free on his site. They do not because (IMO) Fallon/Enig cannot wrap their minds around the information.

Cordain cautions against certain varieties of saturated fat because based off his findings of our ancestral diet we simply did not eat that much. He has no problem with ubiquitous amounts of monos and the correct type/ratios of polly unsat's but he IS cautionary in terms of Sat'd fats. He makes the caveat that high intake of sat'd fat is no guarantee of heart disease but may play a factor if other confounders are present.

Barry Sears takes issue with Satd fat and arachidonic acid due to its action on inflamatory pathways. His argument makes sense IMO given epidemiology and research.

Neither Sears nor Cordain advocate a no satd fat diet but they do recommend sat'd fat at a certain percentage of total fat intake.

That is my take on this.
Robb
Old 09-12-2005, 09:41 PM   #3
Rob McBee

Profile:
I found it interesting that the reviewer attacked Cordain's academic credentials(PH.D in exercise). Her own credentials seem to be that she raised four kids on meat and dairy products. Hmmm, which sounds more qualified? I was wondering if she was even referring to the same book, The PaleoDiet, that I read. Where the slant about 'political correctness' came from I don't know. Her pointed attacks were anecdotal at best. For example, grains found in ancient campfires = prehistoric man ate grains??? That hardly makes the case and Cordain did write that they ate grains if it was that or starvation.

The reviewer made a few other snarky comments on Cordains recommendations again selectively ignoring caveats Cordain himself makes in the book. The only way to eat 100% paleo would be to actually live in the paleolithic era. Cordain presents his book as an approach to getting as close as possible given the logical, obvious constraints.

I'm no one's apologist but I've had great results following Cordains prescription for paleo-style eating with Zone blocks for portion control. Lost fat, gained muscle/strength.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:43 AM   #4
Jim Caponi

Profile:
I read with great interest last night alot of the dairy information on the Weston website. Dr. Fallon is a huge proponent of raw milk. She has problems with pasteurized milk and soy and soy products. I went non-dairy about 3 months ago and it has completely changed my health and diet. I still eat meats, fish, etc. Does anyone drink raw milk? If so, what are your impressions? I am continually amazed at the debate in this country about the health (or lack of) benefits of milk.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:16 AM   #5
Michael Hill

Profile:

They sell raw milk at my local health food store and I used to comsume it, but I no longer do. Raw milk is touted as being beneficial because the lack of pasturization has keep the enzymes alive and the protein has not been denatured, thus making it easier to digest. Also, almost all raw milk is from grass-fed cows so it has natural vitamin A, D and other good stuff like CLA.

I stopped comsuming it because dairy still causes an insulin spike and I just feel better without it. I should also mention that all the vitamin and valuable nutrients in raw grass-fed dairy products are in the milk fat, so you may just want to eat some butter, cream, or cheese (I do). This is also why most raw milk doesn't come from Holsteins, but breeds like Jersey cows because they produce a milk with a higher fat content. The milk does taste better though since it isn't homogenized and has some taste to it.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:28 PM   #6
Zach Nikka

Profile:

i personally thought that was hilarious