CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-05-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
Brian Sanford

Profile:
MRI set for Tuesday.

Hello all. New to the forums and have been lurking for a bit. The information is awesome.

To start the story... I played baseball all growing up and in high school and college. I had arm pains, but wrote it off as just soreness. Tylenol and biofreeze were my friends for several years. Went through physical therapy that was standard in college and stuff.

Baseball career ended, so I started playing tournament softball. The past 2 years, my shoulder/arm has gotten progressively worse. It is getting to a point where I cannot deal with it. Went to the ortho doc that repaired my torn achilles.

My symptoms are:
Awful pain from shoulder to elbow. 12 on a scale from 1-10.
Burning sensation in shoulder
Sharp pains throughout the day
Range of motion is horrible
Loss of strength big time. Cant hold a gallon of milk without shaking.
One hard throw and fingers tingle and become numb
Extreme bicep pain as well as a little bruising in bicep after physical activity.
Cant raise arm after physical activity.

Went in to the doctor and they did XRay's and he set me up for an Arthrogram MRI. He did some ROM exercises and looked at me and said, you have a torn labrum most likely.

How am I supposed to stay positive pretty much knowing that even before my MRI is done? Does it sound like a labrum tear/rotator cuff tear or whatever else?

Anyone that has had prior injuries like this, please help!

Thanks all and sorry for the long story.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Re: MRI set for Tuesday.

Labral tear sounds par for the course based on your activity history. Wouldn't be surprised to find some rotator cuff damage as well.

People with a long history of overhead/throwing sports tend to get way over developed anterior shoulders and chest. This leads to the classic rolling in of the shoulders you see on a lot of people these days, which is a very unstable position for the shoulder. Now add lots of dynamic and ballistic movement and you have a recipe for labral/RC problems.

Good news is typically these things can be fixed up pretty well and with some smart PT you can be pretty functional down the road. The key is going to be doing lots of exercises that help balance that shoulder out though. Think deadlifts, Rows, overhead press, Pull-ups, Chin-ups, lots of gymnastics stuff (front levers in particular), Even Snatches and Cleans once your shoulder is ready for them will help out a lot.

Stay positive and keep focused on the rehab. It may be a long road, but there are a lot worse things that could happen and if you work hard you may find that you can come back stronger than you think!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Brian Sanford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Labral tear sounds par for the course based on your activity history. Wouldn't be surprised to find some rotator cuff damage as well.

People with a long history of overhead/throwing sports tend to get way over developed anterior shoulders and chest. This leads to the classic rolling in of the shoulders you see on a lot of people these days, which is a very unstable position for the shoulder. Now add lots of dynamic and ballistic movement and you have a recipe for labral/RC problems.

Good news is typically these things can be fixed up pretty well and with some smart PT you can be pretty functional down the road. The key is going to be doing lots of exercises that help balance that shoulder out though. Think deadlifts, Rows, overhead press, Pull-ups, Chin-ups, lots of gymnastics stuff (front levers in particular), Even Snatches and Cleans once your shoulder is ready for them will help out a lot.

Stay positive and keep focused on the rehab. It may be a long road, but there are a lot worse things that could happen and if you work hard you may find that you can come back stronger than you think!
Thanks alot for the info Robert.

Surgery is a long road to recovery if surgery is what I have to face. But anything is better than feeling the way I do now. I cannot do any of the activities that I choose to do without pain through the roof. I cannot life a gallon of milk without shaking beyond belief and almost dropping it. And it truly stinks not being able to pick up my 2 year old daughter without pain.

Sure, I wouldnt do those things right after surgery, but I also know that my arm would be fixed and I could continue living life active and happily after my recovery is over.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
Donald Lee

Profile:

Eric Cressey and Mike Reinold have a lot of stuff available on the internet on labral tears.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:18 AM   #5
Brian Sanford

Profile:

Well guys...

Had the MRI done as well as a CT Scan.

When I was first injected with the dye, they took an xray and actually saw some leaking from the rotator cuff, which the doc said is likely a tear in the rotator cuff.

Go Friday to find out the results.