CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
Mike Carpenter

Profile:
Cool Wall Balls

Hey Crossfitters,

I have a silly question that I was hoping one of you veteran Crossfitters can answer. Why is it that Wall Balls irritate my trachea so much..?? I have done some tough WOD's but I never seem to cough very much after them unless Wall Balls are included. Is it just me, or is there something about this movement, body position or effort that makes you cough like you have tuberculosis? I love the Crosssfit philosophy and the community associated with this sport. Thanks for listening.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
Geoff Archibald

Profile:
Re: Wall Balls

Not a veteran but I would guess that you are craning your neck backwards too much. Are you holding the ball at your throat? If you can keep the ball at face level or above your head you can maintain a more neutral neck position. Standing back further from the wall can help as well. I think Kelly Starrett mentions something about this in one of his MWOD videos but I will never be able to find it.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Mike Laroche

Profile:

This happens to me too, but it also happens if I go for a hard 5k run. I think it just has to do with the level of oxygen exchange your lungs are forced to do in a given workout. Most wall ball centered workouts will get my heart rate and breathing up to a pretty wicked level. I also notice it with high rep thrusters.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Carpenter View Post
Hey Crossfitters,

I have a silly question that I was hoping one of you veteran Crossfitters can answer. Why is it that Wall Balls irritate my trachea so much..?? I have done some tough WOD's but I never seem to cough very much after them unless Wall Balls are included. Is it just me, or is there something about this movement, body position or effort that makes you cough like you have tuberculosis? I love the Crosssfit philosophy and the community associated with this sport. Thanks for listening.
What you are experiencing sounds like what most people describe as "Fran cough". As Mike Laroche described above, it effects many people when they are maxing out on WODs, and it really seems to effect people with a thruster or wallball type movement. Sorry - I can't explain it better than that. Just take comfort in knowing you're not the only one to experience it.

That said - when doing wall balls, there is a tendency to kick up dust, so make sure that is not a contributing or exacerbating factor.

BEst wishes - and to the board.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
Daniel Dang

Profile:
Smile Re: Wall Balls

I would call that "Karen Kough."
Old 04-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Archibald View Post
Not a veteran but I would guess that you are craning your neck backwards too much. Are you holding the ball at your throat? If you can keep the ball at face level or above your head you can maintain a more neutral neck position. Standing back further from the wall can help as well. I think Kelly Starrett mentions something about this in one of his MWOD videos but I will never be able to find it.
Its this. Looking straight up irritates your throat...I'm not sure why. The same thing happens to me when I'm looking up belaying another climber.