CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-31-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
Joshua Ryan Smith

Profile:
Sumo Deadlift

I was working on my deadlift today, and kinda came to a realization. I've had previous experience with powerlifting, and have always been taught to sumo deadlift (wide legs, big base). But I've noticed on all the WOD demo vids that most are doing deadlifts with legs closer in. What do you guys think?

Sumo, Regular deadlift, or are both okay?
Old 03-31-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
Jason Denny

Profile:
Re: Sumo Deadlift

Both are ok. Not too many people I know actually Sumo. I do, it suits me better. Works my legs a lot more I discovered. Sumo seems more natural for me. Still doing the work, just a bit differently.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
Joshua Ryan Smith

Profile:

Yea, I also think is a more natural position for lifting. Seems like your hips are more in line with your legs to me. I train both, because of the tension in my legs as opposed to my back. I am just much stronger in sumo than "regular" deadlift
Romans 8:28
Joshua 1:9
Old 03-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

I sumo better than I conventional pull. My hip flexor is a bit jacked up right now, but sumo doesn't hurt on the negative.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

I hardly ever pull sumo, just feels really awkward/not strong, I enjoy pulling conventional far more, and have gotten over 4-5plates, i've actually gotten in the low 600's on rack pulls.

conventional just suits my body more...and really that's part of lifting...figuring out your best levers, and what suits you more
Old 04-09-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

All depends on your body type and what you want to cross over into. Conventional deadlift will help with Olympic lifting a lot more than a Sumo style will as it resembles the first pull of the clean a lot more. From a geometric point of view the Sumo will always be a bit 'easier' as you do not have to move the bar as far off the ground to complete the rep and the leverage on your back is kept to a minimal which is the main antagonist in the deadlift.

I quoted easier because its a theoretical statement from the fact I never attempted a serious pull in the sumo stance. It kinda just weirds me out.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

The difference in the length of the pull is pretty much negligible--a sumo deadlift is "easier" for someone whose body is better suited for it. For instance, someone with a short torso and arms and very long femurs whose back is nearly horizontal when he sets up for a conventional deadlift.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Ryan Smith View Post
I was working on my deadlift today, and kinda came to a realization. I've had previous experience with powerlifting, and have always been taught to sumo deadlift (wide legs, big base). But I've noticed on all the WOD demo vids that most are doing deadlifts with legs closer in. What do you guys think?

Sumo, Regular deadlift, or are both okay?
They are both "OK", and as the other posts say, they're just different. My advice is to do both, maybe even alternating them in your training. You'll quickly figure out your favorite/best way, but you should continue training both.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
Seth Leaman

Profile:

I do both. I can pull more regular as opposed to sumo, but I like the variety. Sumo doesn't seem to tax my lower back, and has helped build some good hip strength which carries over to the squat more IMO. Depends on how you're built. Neither one is right or wrong