CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-04-2006, 06:35 PM   #1
Joshua Hass

Profile:
OK, these hand stand push ups have been giving me unbelievable fits. Granted, I'm a bigger than average guy, (5'10", 200 lbs), but I'm in what I thought was pretty good shape and w/ better than average strength in the standard power lifts, and can only knock out 4-5 with my feet up on the wall. I know that CrossFit is a different kind of fitness, but my experience is pretty much limited to the squat, deadlift, benchpress, and other bodybuilding-type movements, so that is all I have to measure myself by. I'm relatively new to CrossFit and Olympic-style lifts, but I'm seeing improvement in all areas except the HSPU. What techniques or methods have others here used to improve in this area? I'm not looking for a silver-bullet that will make me knock out 20 at a time after a couple of weeks, but a way to bring up this lagging area. Thank you in advance to everyone that attempts to bring me along!!
Old 09-04-2006, 06:46 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Lower your legs a bit at an angle so that you can do 10 or so. Next workout, lift your legs at a greater angle and do 10 and so on. This will get you to 10 HSPUs depending on how fast you can progress up the angle.

Also, negatives have been known to help after you can't do anymore positives... and should be familiar if you used them when reaching a plateau in BBing.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:06 PM   #3
Steve Serrano

Profile:
Get a set of paralettes next to a bench and with your feet on the bench, bend forward at the hips. Grab the paralettes and get your shoulders straight over your hands. This will have your torso almost upside down like in the HSPU's but without all your body weight (feet stay on the bench).

Grease the groove in that range of motion and see how the push ups feel. You may need to start with more shoulder presses to help build up. Either way, careful on the shoulders.
Thanks to Bill Pappas (CF Edna Valley) for the initial exposure to that HSPU mod.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:19 AM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Exercises...
Old 09-05-2006, 06:50 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
No magic bullet, just practice...practice...practice. If I picked up a tuba I can't expect to know how to play it on the 1st time. Do the pike version as mentioned above, do a few every warmup that are easy and not fatiguing to "grease the groove" as they say. It will come in time young Jedi.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:35 AM   #6
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
Static holds upside down will help also. Basically just spend time upside down, add 30 second static holds to your warmup.

-Jeremy
Old 09-05-2006, 09:06 AM   #7
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Do handstands every chance you get. Handstands are not a normal position for most people and it takes a while to get your body to figure out what to do while up there. A lot of your limitations at this point are neural muscular, not just strength. You'll get tremendously more efficient at the movement as you get upside down more.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:09 AM   #8
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Yep agree with all above. Think about how often you are doing those "other" areas you mention...and how often you are doing HSPU's...I think you'll find the answer to your riddle right there...start doing Handstands in your warm-up...start doing them at home...start doing them when you're out shopping with your significant other, drives my wife crazy.

Aush</textar
Old 09-05-2006, 10:35 AM   #9
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Joshua, I had to start by putting hands on the floor, then "walking" up the wall until I found an angle I could work at.
Make sure you don't go all the way to muscle failure or you'll think your doing the infamous "feet, knees, & face" landing on the DZ (but it will be mostly face).
Old 09-06-2006, 06:48 AM   #10
David Luu

Profile:
you're frustrated? at least you did not have one of your arms give out and fall on your head in front of Crossfit DC. :crutch00:

practice on a mat.