CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
Brent Sallee

Profile:
Exertion - My Journey Through CF

Hi all, my name is Brent and I've finally joined a CF affiliate. I've done CF before, but jumped into it too quickly when my tendons/ligaments weren't quite well-adapted for the volume. Now I've joined CrossFit DAC and will be there for about 6 more weeks. I'll try to join up at CF 714 or another affiliate down in southern CA afterward.

For my background: I was a sprinter in high school, specialized in the 400m, and got some decent times. After high school, I went to UC Davis to get a degree in Exercise Biology. I got sick of just sitting around so I ran through the Max-OT program and gained 20 bulky pounds in 10 weeks. This is before I really knew anything. After reading a ton of research and coming into my own (with some education and some more experience), I ran through SS and had PRs of 5x305 in the back squat, 5x325 in DL, 5x185 in bench (bad shoulder), and 1x155 in shoulder press all at a body weight of 155ish. I lost access to my gym, did some Krav Maga and Muay Thai, came back to the gym, trained some LSS with running and biking, but never fully got back into a good program again. Well, I finally said screw it and got into CF again.

I've done the following workouts so far:

Thurs 6/17/10
5 rounds for time of (with 45 pounds):
1min behind-the-head jerk
1min overhead squat

Result: Didn't count my reps. Just wanted to get back into things. My shoulder is still fairly sensitive so I will scale all shoulder work for a bit.

Fri 6/18/10
As many rounds as possible (AMRAP) in 12min of (with 1 pood KB):
15 situps
12 Russian KB swings
9 KB Power swings
6 American KB swings

Result: 6 rounds, 15 situps, 3 Russian KB swings

Mon 6/21/10
"Fight Gone Bad"
3 rounds of:
1min Wall-Ball to 10 ft high target (20lbs)
1min Sumo-deadlift high-pulls (75lbs)
1min 20" box jumps
1min push press (subbed to 55lbs from Rx'ed 75lbs)
1 min row

Count all reps (calories for rowing) and add up for a total score

Result: 238 reps.

This was a low estimate since the trainer had to record 8 people's results and missed at least one set for each person. I had trouble getting over to the rower and getting situated quickly enough. I typically only had 30s to row.

6/22/10
AMRAP in 15min of:
10 one-handed, 35lb DB burpee clean and press (scaled from 50lbs)
10 knees-to-elbows

Results: Either 5 or 6 rounds plus 10 burpee C&P and 3 K2E

I couldn't remember for the life of me if I got 5 or 6 rounds. I'm fairly certain it was 6 plus the leftovers, but I'd rather low ball than give myself high numbers to try to beat later.

6/24/10
AMRAP in 20 min of:
20 side to side hops (over small hurdles)
15 box steps (28" tires for me)
10 ball slams (23lb ball)

Result: 12 rounds, 20 side to side hops, 3 box steps

6/25/10
5 rounds of:
1min Power Snatch
1min Overhead Squat

M:95, F:75
Add reps to get score

Result: 83 (80-85, was hard to count after a while). I also used 75lbs since I don't want my shoulder to get too finicky. Also, afterward, I worked with the trainer on my jerk.

Right after the WOD (since it wasn't too intensive), we did a 2 round buyout of:
1min situps
1min plank

Result: 33 situps, 1 min pushup plank, 26 situps, 1 min pushup plank.

Split Jerk:
2x75
2x85
1x95
1x105
1x115
1x125
1x135
1x145
1x155
1x165
Fx175

My technique wasn't bad, but I was having trouble getting explosion from my hips. Guess I'll have to work on this. It's not bad at 155lbs of body weight, especially for my first time. I wanna work on these a bit since my shoulders are feeling pretty dang good.

Nagging areas: Achilles is very slightly sore, but nothing mentionable otherwise. I'm sure I'll have plenty to fill in here after tomorrow... We're doing Murph.

6/26/10
"Murph"
1 mile run
100 pullups
200 pushups
300 squats
1 mile run

The pullups, pushups, and squats can be split up however desired, but the workout must begin and finish with a 1mi run.

Result: 42:04 Rx'ed

I split this up into rounds like Cindy (5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 air squats) and found the pushups to be the most challenging part by far (due to my shoulders). I opened with a 6:32 mile, which was pretty good. I didn't really stop working at any point, but my last mile was crap from the pullups (bad arm swing). Goal next time is definitely sub 40, hopefully under 38min. To be perfectly honest, I'm pretty proud to do Murph as Rx'ed after one week of CF, let alone beat some of the CFer's at my box. This workout is built for me since it's all body weight stuff. I'll try to do this workout again before I move just to have something to compare to. Good stuff.

Nagging areas: Left shoulder and left latissimus were a bit tender after the warmup from attempting the butterfly kip. Note to self - don't try butterfly kip unless substantially warmed up.

I've got quite a bit of experience now with lifting, metabolic pathways, nutrition, aerobic training, motor coordination, etc since I've finished my degree. I will continue to sub shoulder workouts for a few more weeks at least, since the rotator cuff problems (supraspinatus specifically) tend to come back with one screw up.

I just wanted to start posting to see if I could get some feedback and encouragement. I'm also competitive as hell so I want to compare my times to your's. What does everybody think of 42:04 for my first Murph time?
Old 06-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
Brent Sallee

Profile:
Re: Exertion - My Journey Through CF

Mon 6/28/10

AMRAP in 20 minutes of:
5 pullups
Max reps 95lb thrusters (scaled to 75lbs)

Result: 16 rounds + 2 pullups, 111 thrusters.

This workout kicked my *** pretty badly. The thrusters were the main workout and I couldn't bang out the pullups quick enough to keep up with the leader who was doing butterfly pullups. Hand almost tore at the end.

Nagging areas: Left shoulder sensitive from the thrusters. Need to ice and rest for the rest of the day.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Tues 6/29/10

Crossfit Total
1RM Back Squat
1RM Deadlift
1RM Shoulder Press

Result: 310 back squat, 335 deadlift, 115 shoulder press (stopped while warming up) at 155lbs body weight.

After yesterday's thrusters (all 111 of them), my quads, posterior chain, and shoulders were all pretty shot. It wasn't the best day for me to do a CFT, but I wanted to know where I stood on the major lifts. Today's assigned workout was 120 burpees of twelve different variations. My shoulders were aggravated from the press part of the thrusters yesterday so I decided against 120 burpees. I knew the CFT had the shoulder press in it, but I wasn't originally going to include it (due to shoulders and really fatigued triceps from repeated abuse - Murph, yesterday's workout), but I decided to just see how they felt. They felt shaky, but were ok up until 115. I went up to 140 and decided to quit there. Overall though, I'm alright with the 310 squat considering I haven't squatted in a bit and I'm still as strong or even a bit stronger than I was a month ago. I was pleased with my 335 deadlift though because it was much, much easier than my last max at 315lbs. I utilized the sumo-deadlift and the form was much better (thank to brikis cue of pushing myself away from the ground). I used quads and back at the same time and my hips completed opening the same time my knee was fully extended. I also utilized a weight belt for the first time on deadlifts and I have to say, I liked the increased intra-abdominal/intra-thoracic pressure.

Just for comparison, my previous maxes when I was only lifting were:

Back Squat - 5x305 (estimated 350lb 1RM)
Deadlift - 1x355
Shoulder Press - 1x155

I'm in much better cardiovascular shape now so if I can get back to those PRs while being able to run through the CF metcons, I'll be very happy.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Thurs 7/1/10

Maximal effort 500m row

Result: 1:38 (PR since I'm pretty damn short)

WOD
5 rounds for time of:
3 back squats (at 80% 1RM - 250lbs for me)
10 toes to bar
200m run

Result: 16:02

My toes to bars were terribly slow. I couldn't figure out the kip on them, but learned it afterward. I probably could've saved 2-3min if I had learned and executed the kip. Oh well. I was just glad to get under the squat bar again. I plan on practicing the butterfly kip a bit later today to try to speed up my WODs involving pullups. The last WOD, I got beat in the number of pullups simply because I couldn't bang them out as fast as the other guy. I'd like to change that.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Fri 7/2/10

"Barbara"
5 rounds for time of:
20 pullups
30 pushups
40 situps
50 squats
Rest 3 minutes exactly

Round results:

#1 - 3:32
#2 - 3:36
#3 - 3:55
#4 - 4:48
#5 - 6:40

Total results (including rest): 33:42.

I was severely limited by my pushups. After round 3, my shoulder began nagging at me and at the end, it plain out hurt. I'm taking the whole weekend off and will be taking ibuprofen and icing it to the best of my ability. I wish I could've kept my times a bit lower. I will work on preventing this in the future by working on my shoulder and doing Grease the Groove with pushups.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Mon 7/5/10

"Nancy"
5 rounds for time of:
400m run
15 overhead squats (M: 95, F: 75 - I subbed at 85lbs)

Result: 24:11. Switching from the cool inside to the hot, dry outside air aggravated my airways. I found out I have exercise induced asthma through my very labored breathing. On my round 3 run, I noticed I was having massive trouble moving enough air. I had to stop, which is when I realized I was wheezing a bit. I had already made an appointment with the doctor to get an inhaler last week, but this confirmed that I needed it. After allowing everything to relax, I completed the workout at a lighter intensity.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Tues 7/6/10

AMRAP in 20min of:
2 muscle ups
4 handstand push ups
8 ring push ups

Result: 8 rounds, 1 muscle up.

Buyout:
3x2min planche

Completed all three rounds of planches and added a 25lb weight for the last one. It sucked.

The muscle ups weren't too hard, but the lack of chalk available was all too obvious after I got myself up to the proper position, but my grip slipped for several reps. Handstand push ups felt fine at the beginning ROM, but hurt through the more intermediate ROM (120-160 degrees of flexion). I started with no ab mats and worked my way up to 2 throughout the workout. I wasn't dying during this workout, but took it easier because of yesterday's events. I'll be heading to the doctor and try to get an Albuterol inhaler tomorrow.

Nagging areas: Left shoulder was a bit angry, but really only during the work out. Push ups felt fine, which was nice.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Wed 7/710

Warmup
Tabata run with push up "rest"
Dynamic movements

WOD - 5 rounds for time of:
5 deadlifts (M: 275, F: 185)
10 strict pullups or chinups
250m row

Time: 16:08 Rx'ed.

This workout was a *****. The deadlifts destroyed me and I'm sure my form wasn't ideal. The only other guy who did it as prescribed was a bit bigger and had more deadlift experience than I did. Still, he finished around 12:30, which means he REALLY beat me. I was glad to finish, I didn't kill myself, and I'll be stronger because of it. I'm gonna eat a ton today to try to reduce the possibility of terrible soreness tomorrow.

Nagging areas: None! I love pulling.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
Brent Sallee

Profile:

7/9/10

"Chelsea"
5 pull ups
10 push ups
15 squats

Complete one set each minute for 30 consecutive minutes. Once you fail to complete a set within the required minute, complete as many additional sets in the remaining time left.

Result: 30 rounds/30min Rx'ed.

When I saw the workout online, I told myself I could do all 30 rounds. When I got to the gym and got to about round 5, I re-evaluated and aimed for 20 rounds. I've never done Cindy so my goal was just to complete that and push as far as I could. After I completed 20 rounds, my hands store (round 23-24), but I just re-positioned my grip and did a smaller kip. My pushups started to fail at rep 5 so they were the biggest time consumer of all. I shook my arms out and rested for ~5sec between reps 5 and 6 so hopefully I can do unbroken sets of 10 next time. My round lengths were between 35sec and 45sec and I finished the WOD at 29:44. I was glad to be done.

Nagging areas: My right knee is starting to bother me a bit. I'm not quite sure why since I don't remember any event that actually induced it, but it has been a bit tender. I'll continue to ice it to reduce any swelling, but if it continues aching, I may call some PT friends and ask about it.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #10
Brent Sallee

Profile:

7/10/10

50-40-30-20-10
Double Unders
Plank

*Plank time is equal to time it took to complete double unders for the round.

Result: 15:00.

1RM Weighted Chin Up
8xBW
5xBW+35lbs (1 pood KB)
3xBW+53lbs (1.5 pood KB)
1xBW+70lbs (1.5 pood KB + 0.5 pood KB)
1xBW+105.6lbs (1.5 pood KB + 1 pood KB + 0.5 pood KB)
1xBW+123.2lbs (1.5 pood KB + two 1 pood KBs = 56kg)

For this WOD, we completed our DUs and rested to the next 30s increment. From there, we completed a plank equal to the time it took us to complete our DUs and our brief rest. For me that was 2:30, 2:00, 2:00, 1:00, 1:00. I really got punished on the planks for not having practiced DUs lately. For the first set, I got flustered and had to do 150 single unders as a sub. I did a 1-2-1-2 schedule for the rest of the double unders, only counting the actual DUs. We also had a buy-in of 100 situps and a buyout of 100 situps.

The weighted chin ups felt really good today. I was sore from yesterday's workout utilizing 150 pull ups, but this was quite good for me. My previous PR of BW+90lbs was good in my book, but I'm glad to have beat it. For absolute work, that puts me at 273lbs in a chin up. I'm happy with that.