CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-09-2006, 03:32 PM   #1
Ryan Copeland

Profile:
My mom has been trying to loose some weight. She is actually in pretty good shape for her age, compared to non-crossfit people. She would like to loose 10-15lbs. She doesn't have much interest in high intensity workouts. She prefers walking our dog. I told her she should include some weights into her program to build some muscle. She has access to a local gym, and I was thinking of creating maybe a 3 week program that she could cycle through. Ideally I'd like her to go to the gym four or five days a week on a Mon-Friday plan, but I believe this would decrease the odds of her sticking with it. So 2-3 times a week would be ideal. At home I was thinking of bodyweight stuff, and maybe getting some dumbells along with walking. Any plans/ideas on creating a plan for her?
Old 06-09-2006, 04:38 PM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Fitness. While we get there, check this thread: http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/25323.html
Old 06-10-2006, 05:37 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Ryan, base the movements around functional exercises: Squat, deadlift, pushes overhead, sit-ups, lower back work, assisted pull-ups or some kind of rowing, and push-ups (modify all exercises to abilities). Honestly, your mom could walk and tune in her diet better than you writing out an exercise program for her. She may not stick to a weightlifting program after the first DOMS sets in. I bet she's used to sticking to a diet, just hasn't been on the right diet. Get her on the Zone, this is where the real body comp changes will occur. Tell her to walk the dog for 1 hour every night. Once she loses the 10-15 lbs, and your at home...start to train her. She may be more excited to train after losing the weight and adapting to the Zone...just my 2 cents.