CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-09-2005, 01:18 PM   #1
cole mooney

Profile:  
Okay, so I know you guys are not going to like that I don't want to do the WODs but I have tried to do them and I just find it too frustrating with the lack of equipment and lack of training partners I have. I would still like to do a program that has the same ideals as crossfit but I would like something more rigid. I was thinking of doing something like making up 10 different workouts and cycling through them at a rate of 3 per week. I don't want to do anymore than 3 workouts per week because of other commitments I have.

-2 strength workouts that would consist of heavy, low rep deadlifts, squats, bench pressing, shoulder pressing etc.

-4 power workouts that would consist of simple oly lifts like hang cleans, power presses, power cleans, high pulls etc, things like dumbell thrusters and some interval training with weights (tabata intervals maybe).

-2 speed workouts that would consist of interval sprint training and other things... I'm not really sure what else is good for speed training.

-2 endurance workouts that would consist of bodyweight exercises and other things good for muscular endurance.

Now, I just want to know if something like this will still work fairly well. I know it won't be nearly as effective as following the actual crossfit program but this is what I would rather do.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:00 PM   #2
Seth Orell, Jr.

Profile:
Deadlifts, squats, cleans, thrusters? Sounds like you've got more equipment available to you than many CrossFitters. Make a set of $10 rings and you're in business.

Regarding training partners: yeah, they're nice. No, they're not necessary at all (don't max your bench-press without one, though).

Your access to equipment in no way appears lacking to me. All the excercises you mention are covered in CF somewhere, so mix and match if you want. But is there another reason you're reluctant to do the WoDs?
Old 09-09-2005, 02:09 PM   #3
Jesse Woody

Profile:
If that is what you'd rather do, then do it, nobody is stopping you :D You said yourself that you know it won't be nearly as effective, but to each their own.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:18 PM   #4
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Of course it would work, but try not to segment your workouts to "power day", "speed day"...etc. You won't be doing CrossFit otherwise...Mix them up. Why not order the WoR 2004 from Dan John to make your workouts.

You can use a die to match a CrossFit style workout with the exercises that you are able to do with your equipment. E.g.

First roll:

1-2 Focus day
2-3 Task priority - a 3-5 round circuit of 2 challenging elements completed for time
3-4 Time priority - a circuit of 3 moderately challenging elements completed as many times as possible in 20 minutes

Then roll to fill the elements:

1 Strength
2 Power
3 Speed
4 Bodyweight endurance
5 Cardio endurance
6 um...static gymnastic holds

And so on, if you want CrossFit style you need more randomisation and less segmentation than your current plan has.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #5
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I really like that idea, I'll have to use that one myself!
Old 09-10-2005, 09:36 AM   #6
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Not to be a contrarian, but, I'm curious, what equipment do you feel like you're missing? If it's a medicine ball, do thrusters. If its a dip stand, use a couple of chairs. I mean, the front page says you can do most of the WODs with a bar and a tree to do pullups on, and a length of sidewalk.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:26 AM   #7
Tim Dewey

Profile:
Hi D. I understand you frustration, but quite frankly, learn to adapt, mix and match. Look at the FAQ by LynnE Pitts(I don't want the pescribed tabata HSPU's for mispelling her name again). I'm 56, have a very arthritic hip (right side) so running is out of the question. However, non impact doesn't bother me, so I get on my bike and do an equivalent. My neighbor had one of these things called a "rider" that was serving as a coat rack. I jumped on it, and it seemed to be a good sub sor a rower, same motions, so I gave her 10 bucks and walked off with it. I also like doing swings and snatches with DB's for the runs. Bottom line, adapt and enjoy.
Tim
Old 09-10-2005, 11:37 AM   #8
Nick Thomas

Profile:  
If you want to pick 10 workouts, you could do a lot worse than picking your 10 favourite "crossfit girls".

Maybe replace 1 of the 10 with a 5-10k run, if that takes your fancy.

If you have the energy, you could start or end each workout with some heavy low rep compound lifts, similar to the program described in the recent Crossfit Journal on Powerlifting.