CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-17-2003, 01:49 AM   #1
Per Nyberg

Profile:
I hurt my back last week when I was doing clean & jerks. It feels fine now but if I sit for while,
(for instance when I have seminars in school) I get stiff. Do any of you guys have a good stretching or strength exercise that I can use to gett the stiffnes out of my back. I have tries different stretching exercises, but they don´t seem to work very good. I really want to start the WOD agian, but I´m afraid I to hurt my back .
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Per
Old 09-17-2003, 09:35 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Per-

If it was a muscle strain you want to be conservative with the stretching. Active range of movement just short of pain. Ice the area agressively. I described how to do that in this thread:
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/000152.html

It may be inportant to reevaluate your technique or warmup. Lower the poundages you train with significantly (like to a broomstick) and really analyze technique. Buy the World Class Coaching tapes. Start easy and let us know how things progress.
Robb
Old 09-18-2003, 05:29 AM   #3
Joseph

Profile:

I also strain my back occasionally and have found that conventional static stretching is the worst thing I could do. I have found deadlifts and straight leg deadlifts to work magic, but you need to be careful with the weight and move at a moderate pace. It has something to do with stretching and retraining the spasming muscles. Incidentally, I found this same recommendation in The Weightlifting Encyclopedia (pp. 438-440), along with the same cautions.

The last time this happened was doing snatches. Two days later I thought a yoga routine would straighten things out and durn near crippled myself for two weeks. Supplemented a WOD with some deadlifts and the pain was greatly alleviated.

Good luck.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:49 PM   #4
Mike Mahler

Profile:  
I find that back bridging can help. However, I would get checked out by a chiropracter that knows ART. You will be amazed at what they can do. Go to www.activerelease.com to find one in your area.

Mike Mahler
www.mikemahler.com