CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 09-27-2005, 01:14 PM   #1
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Anyone who heard my CF Live segment heard me discuss physical testing in schools and gymnasts going through the tests. Also if you came to the gymnastics seminar you met Gabe. 12 yr old gymnast on a darn good path. Anyway, he just had Jr high Phys testing, and well pretty much dominated. He was talking with his dad and said he broke a few records. His dad asked how many? His response, "Well.. all of them".
Old 09-27-2005, 01:30 PM   #2

Profile:

Awesome.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:00 PM   #3
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Roger,
Did they write him off as a genetic mutant? I am amazed at how often a kids hard work is trivialized.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:19 PM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
That happens to Gabe all the time. He plays baseball also and the other parents are constantly telling Dan "He's such a natural athlete". Dan's perpetually telling folks it's because he does gymnastics 20 hrs a week. The problem is we need to carry around "before" videos of all the kids, otherwise people don't believe that these kids started of as "normal" kids.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:05 PM   #5
Beth Moscov

Profile:
I see that minimalizing all the time. It is annoying. Give the kids credit for their serious hard work, their focus and dedication.

Good Job Gabe.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:11 AM   #6
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
My eleven year old son had his one mile run test last week. We have worked on him pacing his start so he does not have to slow too much later.

Finished in 6:31, first half mile 3:40, I told him he could let loose, second half mile 2:51. He was pretty spent at the finish, but two hours later was at his two hour soccer practice. Teacher mentioned what a "natural athlete" he was.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:54 AM   #7
Joshua Newman

Profile:
I remember this ****ing me off when I was in school. Double the closest second on pullups and it's "well, sure, but you're lighter than they are." Rock the 'sit-and-reach' and it's "I guess some people are just more flexible than others."

Frustrating stuff, especially because I knew my results weren't the result of 'natural talent', but of busting my butt at the gym.

Still, if there's any upside to it all, it's learning early that real satisfaction in fitness (and nearly any other area of life) comes from achieving your own goals, and not from achieving arbitrary external ones.

[And, it also comes from getting out of PE for the rest of the week by betting your teacher that you can hit 200 pullups by the end of class. But I digress.]
Old 09-29-2005, 09:10 AM   #8
Jeff Martin

Profile:
A couple of weeks ago Connor came home and was upset about his pull up score on the Phys. Ed testing. He had started his test doing kipping pull ups and the coach stopped him and said "No swinging". Connor was upset because he was only able to get out 27 deadhang pull ups. I asked him how that was compared to the other kids. Connor said "I didn't beat the second place guy by much." How many did the 2nd place person do Connor? "11"
Old 09-29-2005, 03:34 PM   #9
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
HA HA! [Nelson Laugh at other kid]

The only thing 'natural' about most of these athletes is dedication.

All the kids are going to have to get used to a society (and public school system) that is focused on 'caressing' those who choose not to perform.

Forget rewarding the hard worker. . . let's make sure all his peers don't feel bad for not performing as well.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:09 PM   #10
Roger Harrell

Profile:
During the fitness stuff they had rope climb. The gym instructor had noticed Gabe was doing well so asked him to demonstrate a rope climb to the other kids. Well he grabs the rope and climbs it hand over hand in a straddle L (This is what we require for gymnasts when they climb the rope). The gym instructor says, "Ok, well, don't do that". Heh.

I hope Connor realizes that 27 dead hang pullups is an awesome acheivement for anyone, not even considering his age. Kudos.