CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-20-2006, 04:56 PM   #1
Joseph Hart

Profile:
Anyone heard of these? I just noticed thier site in the equipment section. They seem to be targeting the garage gym CFr. Prices don't seem bad.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:36 PM   #2
Jeff Davis

Profile:
FWIW, Glenn has said on another forum that some of his lifters at Wichita Falls prefer his new bar over the premium bars. Here's a few copy and paste from that other forum, regarding the bar:

"and yes, i have a vested interest. i designed the bar. i coach about 50 lifters and we went thru about 10 prototypes before we got the design, knurling, etc just right, good enough that all my lifters couldnt think of any more ways to improve it. but it is just right. i already have a couple in my gym, and several of my lifters prefer them to the eleiko, uesaka, and york IWF competition bars that we have. for the price, you cant beat it."

"the bar is manufactured in the united states. the design of the bar is different than the werksan bar.

This is not a bearing bar, it uses brass bushings. Now, before people dismiss this as a poor quality bar, consider that i looked at every option when designing and developing this bar, and had prototypes made of many different designs. What I ended with is, i think, the best bar I could have made.

Let me explain a few things about brass bushings... first of all, there are two types. there is a cheaper, oil impregnated brass, which takes little or no maintanence, is cheap, BUT... is not as smooth or tough, much easier for them to "egg out" and impede the spin. good quality cast brass needs to be oiled every year or so. its more expensive. but with oil, it lasts and lasts, and spins quite well. there is also the question of bushing size. its not uncommon for bushings to be quite small, less than an inch, to save cost. the smaller the total bushing area in contact with the shaft, the less likely it is to last, and continue to spin smoothly for years and years.

the bushings in this bar are high quality cast brass, and there is over 6 inches of bushing surface in each bar. everyone has had experience with the old york bars made in the 60's and 70's. our club has 5 or 6 of them, they have brass bushings, GOOD brass bushings, and they still spin, 40 years later, and in fact spin quite well, well enough that our lifters, who have access to eleiko, zhangkong, york competition bars, have no problem training with them. some prefer them!

Now the question of bearings. Lets face it, good bearings, like those in eleiko or werksan bars, are great. they also cost MONEY! how do you make a great training bar with bearings? you cant, unless you scrimp on the bearings. its as simple as that. if you have $700 to spend on an eleiko bar, great. If you have only $400 or less, you are not going to get a great bearing bar for that kind of money!

The fact is, bushings have gotten a bad reputation because so many of the bushing bars are cheaply and sloppily made. and bearing bars have gotten a great reputation because the only bearing bars most people have experience with are great, expensive bars like eleiko or werksan.

however, if you want a great bar for under $400, i am convinced that bushings are the way to go. good quality bushings. they spin plenty good. they are more durable than bearings. and with a good bar design, the bar can be made with great steel and tight tolerances and still for a reasonable price."

If I could go back I would have bought this bar instead of the questionable York International bar.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:24 PM   #3
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Any idea how the Pendlay bar compares to the Chapman 20 kg economy bar? Here's a link to the Chapman:
http://chapmanpower.com/control.cfm/ID/3

$399, which includes shipping in continental US

vs. $349 (not incl. shipping via UPS) for the Pendlay, here:
http://store.wfwclub.com/me20webar.html

Thanks,
Rene'
Old 06-21-2006, 05:08 AM   #4
Chris Forbis

Profile:
The economy bar has a max load of 250 pounds, so I think a better comparison might be the elite ($509 with shipping).

My interest is piqued though.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:50 AM   #5
Don Woodson

Profile:
Jeff Davis said, "however, if you want a great bar for under $400, i am convinced that bushings are the way to go. good quality bushings. they spin plenty good. they are more durable than bearings. and with a good bar design, the bar can be made with great steel and tight tolerances and still for a reasonable price."

I'd have to agree with that. Generally speaking, in aircraft, roller bearings go in high speed, low shock areas (jet engines). And solid bushings go in low speed, high impact areas (landing gear struts, flap hinges, ailerons etc.). As far as the best roller bearings for high speed AND high shock loads, tapered roller bearings are the best (landing gear wheels), right behind solid bushings. And I haven't seen any oly bar with tapered rollers in it.

(Message edited by 54ford on June 21, 2006)
Old 06-21-2006, 07:32 AM   #6
Josh Everett

Profile:
I've used the pendlay bar and I like it. I may buy them instead of chapman next time.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:18 PM   #7
Jeff Davis

Profile:
Don, I wish I knew enough to have said that stuff but I was just quoting Glen Pendlay from another forum.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:53 AM   #8
Christian Salas

Profile:
Re: Pendlay bars in equipment section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Forbis View Post
The economy bar has a max load of 250 pounds, so I think a better comparison might be the elite ($509 with shipping).

My interest is piqued though.
I thought the max load for an Economy Bar was 350 lbs?
Old 02-10-2008, 08:16 AM   #9
Kim Layton

Profile:

I have 9. I love them, my clients love them and I will be buying more.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #10
John Seiler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Salas View Post
I thought the max load for an Economy Bar was 350 lbs?
Wow, this is an old thread.

On his site Glenn recommends moving to the Pendlay bar if you are putting 350-400 pounds overhead and dropping. Not many of us here are doing that.