CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 02-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
Jennifer Ellington

Profile:
Back squat form check

I finally bought myself a copy of Starting Strength and have been doing a hybrid program. I've been trying to follow the SS cues, but could really use some feedback on my form.

These sets were part of 5x5 at 115#. There are three different angles. I apologize for the pixelated video - my phone camera is not that great. All the links are WFS.

1st set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs8ijr7MXuw

3rd set: (not sure how useful the angle is on this set)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYUh-FoR01o

5th set: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1T-ajbMXr0

Thanks in advance!

Jenn
Old 02-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Re: Back squat form check

You are leg pressing the weight up. The cue you need to focus on is HIP DRIVE! Your chest should be rising at the same rate as your hips, not faster like it is in this video. If you finish a little tilted over still that is fine. Really over exaggerate the hip drive and practice driving that butt up hard out of the hole.

Hope that helps

-Robert
Old 02-06-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Robert is correct, you have no hip drive. The other thing that will help with is proper knee movement. Your knees should move forward the first third of the motion and stay there until you hit that same spot on the way back up. To do this you must have hip drive, and if your knees stay put you will be driving your hips up.

Also, tilt your head so looking straight head means you are looking at a spot on the floor about 6 feet in front of you.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
Jennifer Ellington

Profile:

Thanks, Robert and Jamie! I couldn't really tell what you were talking about until I looked at the rate of movement of my chest and shoulders in relation to my hips. Definitely have to work on that. I see the head-up problem as well.

I will be probably do squats again this weekend or early next week. I'll try to get another video to see if I've improved at all.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
Graeme Marshall

Profile:

a better quality video would be better, with it being taken from directly side on so you can see bar travel line, knee position etc. PLus the 1st set looked like you weren't getting down and getting any drive from the hole like mentioned before.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
Jennifer Ellington

Profile:

Here are a few videos from my last squat workout. The quality is much better on these. I tried to concentrate on the hip drive and hopefully did better on that part. Looks like I may have some butt wink going on too.

Thanks in advance!

All links are wfs:

First two are @ 95#, and the third is @ 105#
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LorZEdqG8Ug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faC0rZeF4ME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQtEaj9t1C4
Old 02-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Hip drive looks much better at 95lbs. You lose it a little at 105, but it is still much better than before. Now the only major problem I see is that it looks like you are trying to not move your knees forward at all when you start and that forces them to slide forward at the bottom. This is not what is supposed to happen. At the same time you are pushing your butt back you should be shoving your knees forward to where they need to be so that by the time you are ~1/3 the way down the squat your knees are where they need to be and thus should not move the rest of the decent. You can work on this by using the TUBOW drill (terribly useful block of wood) from SS. I think pg 47.

Nice work, they are coming along nicely! Keep working hard!

-Robert
Old 02-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
Greg Pieris

Profile:

In addition to the above, I would recommend trying to push your knees out to track over your toes and keep them out throughout the descent and ascent. You may need to think of pushing them outside of your foot angle because they need to go out further than you think - they're currently bowed in slightly. Thinking of spreading the floor with your feet might also help. This will help with hip drive and create some tightness in the descent, which is currently lacking - it's a bit of loose at the moment, but this will all come with practice.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:52 AM   #9
Jennifer Ellington

Profile:

Thanks for the feedback, Robert and Greg! I was trying not to let my knees slide forward throughout the entire movement (which I think was happening before) and instead ending up going to the other extreme. And I was concentrating on driving my butt up and didn't think about keeping my knees shoved out.

Lots of things to think about!