CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #371
Nick Hoffman

Profile:
Re: What is your #1 strength training question?

What would you reccomend as a shoulder exercise for ME day?

Also, I just ordered Results. On days I both lift and run, does it matter which one I choose to take Results after?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #372
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hoffman View Post
What would you reccomend as a shoulder exercise for ME day?

Also, I just ordered Results. On days I both lift and run, does it matter which one I choose to take Results after?
That is a good question, I would say a bit of a tossup... I would lean towards after running.

Some form of a shoulder press. Seated or standing with a barbell or dumbbell.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #373
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

Not a question.

I've been taking the Nitrean+ strawberry supplement for about a week now. The first time I took it, I was a little dissapointed with the taste; there wasn't much of it. I quickly realised that this was a good thing, though. That and how smooth it mixes made it very easy to chug the drink. Most of the protein powders I've tried have a very overpowering taste that isn't exactly good, and it always takes me awhile to get the whole thing down.

So kudos.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #374
Nathaniel Foster

Profile:

I have noticed on all my lifts there is only a 10-20lb difference between my 5 rep max, to my 3 rep max, and to my 1 rep max. Does this tell anything about potential? I would expect there to be a bigger jump between them, especially because I am not ridiculously strong by any means and think there is a lot of room to move on my 1 rep max #'s for sure.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #375
Chris Mason

Profile:

Nathanial, it likely says a lot more about your training than your potential. If you don't regularly train with heavy/max singles you will not optimize your max single potential. If you want absolute strength very heavy singles are the best way to get it.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #376
Nathaniel Foster

Profile:

Chris, thanks for the response. I understand what you are saying. I workout alone in my basement so heavy singles are hard to do safely. I feel like I could more safely work on heavy 3's, as I can then judge my proximity to failure better. I assume this would increase my overall strength and 1 rep max without being able to do 1 rep maxes. I have always been better at strength endurance than just strong. It seems to freak my body out when I try to do anything once "really heavy," but take 20lbs off and I can do it 5 times. I will adjust my training and see where it goes. I would really like to get stronger. Thank you again.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #377
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Nate--do you have a power rack? If so, you should fail once or twice in it squatting just to see how safe you are. This took away a lot of the fear of squatting on my own. Same thing with the bench, I've crawled out of a few failed benchs a couple of times without a problem. If you work a single hard and after a good effort it is stuck, just try to let it down controlled--almost like a negative.

Also, once you get in the habit of singles, you'll have a feel of where you stand when attempting a new weight. On good days you go hard, on tough days you get some good work in but don't go for broke.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #378
Nathaniel Foster

Profile:

Rob, no cage/power rack, just a squat rack and regular bench. I do like to build stuff so maybe some boxes on each side of the bench at just the right height and the same for squats.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #379
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel Foster View Post
Rob, no cage/power rack, just a squat rack and regular bench. I do like to build stuff so maybe some boxes on each side of the bench at just the right height and the same for squats.
You really should not bench heavy without a spotter or safety catches. It is just too dangerous.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #380
Nathaniel Foster

Profile:

I hear you, but we aren't talking about 500lbs. I meant something just above chest level that I could get out from under if necessary. I weld too so I could make it stout or maybe it is time for new equipment...