CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-13-2005, 11:53 AM   #1
Richard Boulet

Profile:
HI,I would like to learn to deadlift the proper way as I have never used this exercise before , any ideas or links would be helpful.THANKS.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:24 PM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Check out the main page today (050113). Use the starting postion on the right. Use a mixed grip or a overhand grip. Wiggle your toes prior to the lift, this ensures your pulling from your heels. Look up, arch your lower back, pull your shoulder blades together (tense your upper body), drive straight up through your heels, lock out on top and lower. You need to keep tension in your abs, don't look down or round your back! don't bend your arms throughout the lift. This lift should be performed with weights that have the same diameter as a 45lb plate. If you can't DL greater than 135lbs and don't have bumper plates, you may want to DL with the plates resting on a low box or somthing like the aerobic step. This is probably the most important basic lift you could learn!
Old 01-13-2005, 12:27 PM   #3
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Richard,

If you haven't already seen it, check out the discussion in the comments window for today's WOD (050113) on the main page. Deadlift form is the topic, with some helpful info from Coach et al.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:55 PM   #4
Michael McMahon

Profile:  
Another useful tip if you can not deadlift 135 or more. Find someone that knows how to use a jigsaw and using 1/2 in. plywood, have them cut 2 peices that are the same diameter as a 45 lb plate. That will put the bar at the correct height and allow you to use as small of plates as are necessary.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:10 PM   #5
Ron Nelson

Profile:
I really don't think I can say more than what Larry said. As a matter of fact, I need to do some of those things to improve my DL form. I will ask, though, would suitcase deadlifts be another good way to learn the movement? You have to get lower, but the movement demands you keep the upper body straight, back arched, and drive with the hips to get up. Plus it works the grip if you use thick handled db's.
Just a thought as I started using these in my warm ups.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:07 PM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Ron, not great for learning or re-enforcing DL form, but great core exercise, keep it in.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:05 PM   #7
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Thanks Larry, I'll be keeping them! I've acctually come across loads of things to try, so I'm incorporating them into the warm up!
Old 01-18-2005, 11:17 AM   #8
John Frazer

Profile:
What is the diameter of a 45-lb. plate?