CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-11-2003, 11:42 AM   #1
Gregory Spilson

Profile:  
About how much does a concept 2 rower cost?
Old 12-11-2003, 12:03 PM   #2
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Brand new, I purchased mine for right around 900 bucks. I would have paid twice that. Great machine, bomb proof.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:58 PM   #3
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Greg,

I paid 700 for a lightly used C model in excellent condition from a seller on Ebay. I second Brad, it's an excellent machine well worth the money.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:14 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Greg:

Use the search function on CrossFit for "Concept 2" or "Concept II". We had a truly *lovely* sequence of e-mails a while back on the relative value of the Concept II versus other alternatives. Although the guy who started the thread was something of a troll, there was some potentially useful discussion.

Dave

P.S (I would second (third?) the comments above; the C2 is worth whatever it costs. Ebay seems to have them in the $600 - $700 range, but garage sales will be cheaper (if you can find one).
Old 12-12-2003, 06:47 AM   #5
Mark Mueller

Profile:
What are the maintenance requirements? When I get one it will be housed down in my barn...It can get a little damp down there...
Old 12-13-2003, 06:42 AM   #6
Coach

Profile:

We paid $2,500 for each of our stationary bikes and more for our StairClimbers (that's my recollection, at least). One of the two bikes and one of the two climbers had major malfunctions within the first year.

Our C2 Rowers cost $800 a piece, have been in constant use for five years and one needs a slap upside the console every once in a while (not the suggested fix, I'm sure), but other than that they've been perfect.

We saw one at the Outrigger Canoe Club's gym in Hawaii (a Model B) that has received no known maintenance in a decade or more of constant use. The thing's chain was orange with rust and the rollers were so shot that the ride was bumby. The rower worked just fine. You can't kill the things (but you'll think it's killing you).

Concept II Rowers are number one among stationary "cardio" tools in physiological demands, price, longevity, and reliability.

At $3,000 a piece it would still be a "must-have" for us.

Coach
Old 12-13-2003, 08:06 PM   #7
ART

Profile:

Where does the Concept II rower fit in with Crossfit? Perhaps it's a newbie question but do you do them after the WOD, on the rest day, or what? I would like to get one if the price is right but how often would I follow it if I only did WOD's?
Old 12-13-2003, 09:16 PM   #8
John McCracken

Profile:
It'll show up several times a month incorportated into the WOD. On other days, it could easily be used as part of your warm-up before attacking the WOD.

The new Concept 2 Model D is on my wish list (perhaps next year). http://www.concept2.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1
Old 12-19-2003, 06:56 PM   #9
DG

Profile:  
Ihave to brag about this one guys. I'm new to CrossFit but I started looking for equipment to build my CF gym about a month ago and managed to trade 3 cases of MRE's and 50 bucks for a model B C2 rower. It had been left outside for who knows how long but I took it apart, busted the rust and now it runs great. The good deals are out there, just keep looking!
Old 12-20-2003, 11:17 AM   #10
David Wood

Profile:

Sounds like a great trade! (I would have thought the guy would have given it to you just to NOT have to eat 50 cases of MREs .. . . or were you the one who had to take them? )

Dave