CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 02-14-2004, 11:56 AM   #1
Doug Akers

Profile:  
On Friday's WOD it called for BW DL's. OK, I need to lose some weight so at 235# this was a tough workout for me (I've only DL'd 3 times as this was my 34th day on Crossfit but I digress).

Anyway, DL's were heavy but I slowly worked through them until the 6th rep of round 4 when my grip refused to let me safely do anymore. I finished round 4 and round 5 using lifting straps.

My question is whether this was a good strategy or should I have lightened the load so that I could continue the WOD without straps?

Doug
Old 02-14-2004, 04:14 PM   #2
Jim Hill

Profile:  
There are different schools of thought on the use of straps, but amongst the hardcore trainers and 'dinosaurs' they are generally thought of as a 'crutch'.

There's a saying: "If you need to use straps, you probably have no business lifting it"

You should probably work on developing your grip strength if you are struggling with bodyweight deadlifts on a standard bar; however, completing the workout with straps as you did was better than cutting it short.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:44 PM   #3
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
I agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Hill. I would suggest dropping the weight. Your grip will improve quickly by following the WOD. Between pull-ups, cleans, DLs, etc., your grip has no choice but to improve.

As a side note, there is a plethora of equipment at the CrossFit facilities. However, in my many visits there, I have yet to see a pair of wrist straps.:wink:
Old 02-15-2004, 12:21 PM   #4
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Two things: make sure you're using a Reverse Grip--one hand over, one hand under--and switch every round. Two: use chalk, it helps. Get it wherever they sell rock climbing stuff. Especially if you're sweaty. I wear tennis wristbands too. No style points, but they help.