CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
Samuel U

Profile:
What is a reasonable salary for a trainer to relocate to Asia?

I am making a business plan for affiliating in an untapped market in Macau.
At this point I have no idea what salary range would sound interesting for a trainer to move to Macau.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance

Samuel
Old 09-11-2013, 04:24 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: What is a reasonable salary for a trainer to relocate to Asia?

I think this would be alot more enticing if you'd do some research on incomes and cost of living in Macau. I don't see how anyone, anywhere else would be able to help you with this. You, living there, should find the answers the easiest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel U View Post
I am making a business plan for affiliating in an untapped market in Macau.
At this point I have no idea what salary range would sound interesting for a trainer to move to Macau.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance

Samuel
Old 09-11-2013, 05:10 AM   #3
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

there's more than a few boxes in Hong Kong, plus one in Shanghai and one in beijing, i suggest you speak to them directly as they'll have more on-the-ground information, and you're not so close that you'd be a competitor for members.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:57 AM   #4
Eric G Taylor

Profile:

is this a communist country? if so would you need to include hazard pay in your salary for someone not from the country?
Old 09-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
Samuel U

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
I think this would be alot more enticing if you'd do some research on incomes and cost of living in Macau. I don't see how anyone, anywhere else would be able to help you with this. You, living there, should find the answers the easiest.
Thanks for the reply Brian!
Living standards can vary greatly in Macau depending on the standard you are looking for. For example a full time domestic helper from Philippines is legally entitled to 3000MOP a month (roughly 400USD) and Minimum wage here is 28MOP/hour (3.50USD/hr roughly). Therefore if I am to hire from overseas I would probably need to offer something better than what the trainer is earning at home.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
Samuel U

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cheung View Post
there's more than a few boxes in Hong Kong, plus one in Shanghai and one in beijing, i suggest you speak to them directly as they'll have more on-the-ground information, and you're not so close that you'd be a competitor for members.
Ya Kenneth Hiring from HK is one of my options but I am also interested in finding out what its gonna cost from overseas.

Btw I will be in SH for 3 months from late September. Which box would u recommend?

Thanks
Old 09-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
Samuel U

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G Taylor View Post
is this a communist country? if so would you need to include hazard pay in your salary for someone not from the country?
No we are not communists but we have different kinds of fees and quota issues to deal with.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G Taylor View Post
sorry, but that's a pretty close-minded statement. firstly Hong Kong and Macau are considered 'special administrative regions' - meaning they operate under law and governance outside of the china government something that was agreed to during their 'hand over' (i.e. return) to Chinese rule (hong kong was in 97). next, China might be 'communist' but that doesn't mean there are hazards to living in China (other than air pollution, terrible driving, and uneducated farmers), if anything the standard of living and quality of life is higher than the UK (i grew up in london) and i would guess some parts of the US. Finally, there's a thriving community of expats in china macau and hong kong, in shanghai (where i'm currently stationed) there's at least 400,000 expats (in a city of 30million).

you wouldn't need 'hazard pay' but you DO need to pay relocation costs, and a higher (expat) salary to make it worth someone to move there. in addition you'd need to pay for visas, health insurance, living expenses and usually an annual return flight. you'd be better off trying to hire local, which for Hong Kong and macau shouldn't be too difficult, mainland china might be more of a challenge.

Last edited by Kenneth Cheung; 09-11-2013 at 05:45 PM..
Old 09-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel U View Post
Ya Kenneth Hiring from HK is one of my options but I am also interested in finding out what its gonna cost from overseas.

Btw I will be in SH for 3 months from late September. Which box would u recommend?

Thanks

nice! i suggest Reebok Crossfit MeWellness - its a little out of the way, but it's by far the best one in shanghai (the other one, Iron Dragon, is down the road so you could visit both in on sitting)

there's a few L1 trainers around and i've been waiting for the right time to take mine.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:47 AM   #10
Samuel U

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cheung View Post
nice! i suggest Reebok Crossfit MeWellness - its a little out of the way, but it's by far the best one in shanghai (the other one, Iron Dragon, is down the road so you could visit both in on sitting)

there's a few L1 trainers around and i've been waiting for the right time to take mine.
hey thanks for the advice. i tried scanning the affiliate map but on dragon has a working website. what's the price range in sh?