CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-08-2013, 01:48 AM   #1
Simon Zeitler

Profile:
Level 1 Cert with only little lifting experience?

Hey everybody,

I am relatively new to CrossFit, I basically started after seeing this years Games. Mostly I have been doing MetCons after I got 2 kettlebells, a slamball and a cheap barbell with metalplates.
Because I wanted to get better at my strength-endurance & endurance, then I had felxibility issues which develop great since starting CrossFit and buying KStars book, but mostly I was afraid of injuring myself with big lifts.

This December in Nuremberg, Germany there is a new Level 1 Cert, and I thought about attending.. So is it a problem I have never snatched or cleaned in my entire life? Or is it even better because I will learn from bottom up?

I mean maybe in 2014 I'll make it to a city like Nuremberg jobwise, and might be able to train, but I want to learn CrossFit the sooner the better... But do you guys think it will be a good idea to attend? I just dont wanna stand in the way all the time (also I cant kip on Pullups, cant do Muscle-Ups by far, etc...)?

Thanks for your advice
Old 09-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Level 1 Cert with only little lifting experience?

IMO, $1000 is a whole heck of a lot to pay for two days of basics instruction. I wouldnt go until you know a little more and are interested and prepared to train people.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
Steven Wingo

Profile:

How often do they hold Level 1 Cert courses near you? If not that often, then go when you have the chance.

In the interim, I would suggest trying to learn as much about the complex lifts as possible, both from an understanding them perspective and through doing them to get your body accustomed to the movements. You will get more out of the course if you have some prior experience. If everything is totally new to you it might be tough. But, if you have limited chances to go then by all means go.

If you can join a quality box in the meantime, for formal instruction with quality coaches, that would be the best route. If not you can learn a lot from videos.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
Andy J. Newton

Profile:

I'm new-ish to CrossFit but an experienced gym rat. I feel like "$1000 is too much for a block of instruction" is relative. Meaning, if you're like me, where you have strength and conditioning experience and want to make CrossFit a focal point of your life, then $1000 is nothing. Before I ever jumped out of an airplane I was taught how to do it so I wouldn't hurt myself.
I'm going to get my certification in October and have only been Crossfitting since April. I'm already excelling at it and plan to find a coaching opportunity after completion of the Level 1. I'm also finishing up my CFT, which I began before I started CrossFit.
To each there own. Be unafraid. Money is nothing for a kick to a better lifestyle.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
Simon Zeitler

Profile:

Yeah thats what I was thinking as well, that this is for my lifestyle and money shouldnt be a problem. More I am concerned about the olympic lifts and that I cannot benefit as much if I dont know them, but then again isnt it better to learn them right instead of doing them wrong a lot of time...

These certs are about every half year... so you would rather wait some time? I mean until 2014 I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere with no Box, so maybe I wont learn too much in that time, thats what the cert would be mainly for... Trainingwise I would love to coach while studying in order to earn some money
Old 09-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
Jennifer Munzner

Profile:

I don't think that I would recommend the level 1 cert to anyone that was expecting a lot of individual instruction. At the cert that I attended, along with about 70 other people, we were put into groups of 8-10 with a single coach. I can tell you that in two days I received a total of maybe 3 comments about my own lifts. I was never one of the people brought in to the middle of the circle to be critiqued, I really left with very little new knowledge. But I knew going in that I had already studied most of the material myself, watched the videos, talked with my own coaches, etc. I wanted to be eligible to coach, so now I am. I think that maybe the Oly cert would be a very helpful cert for specific lifting instruction, I think you might be a little disappointed if you're looking for that in the level 1. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Exactly my point. The L1 is NOT meant as a primer to CF movements, it is a primer to coaching with the CF philosophy.

FWIW you can learn anything relative to performing the movements either for free on the internet or for much more value from any kind of good strength and conditioning coach. On the other hand, I've never taken the cert or directly coached CF and I guarantee you I ccould pass the L1 test right now and probably explain and perform many of the movements at a level at or beyond a great deal of certified people.

I'm not bashing the L1 as a certification by any means, just my 2 cents.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Unless you want an L1 so you can coach at a CF gym, you'd get a lot more value from your $1000 by lining up some individual or small group sessions with a coach at a nearby CF or Olympic lifting gym.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
Kevin Don

Profile:

I wouldn't worry about not knowing any of the lifts, you will learn those as part of the course, with PVC pipe to learn the correct techniques, HOWEVER, the emphasis is on the 9 fundamentals of CrossFit:
press
push press
push jerk
squat
front squat
overhead squat
deadlift
sumo deadlift high pull
clean

It is unlikely that snatch will be covered in any detail, CrossFit has speciality courses for this.
I would, however say that you should probably save the 1000 usd investment unless you are planning to start coaching yourself or have been doing it for long enough that you want to take things to the next level.
Good luck!
Old 09-09-2013, 04:06 AM   #10
Andy J. Newton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Unless you want an L1 so you can coach at a CF gym, you'd get a lot more value from your $1000 by lining up some individual or small group sessions with a coach at a nearby CF or Olympic lifting gym.
I stand corrected. The $1000 would be better spent this ^ way.