CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Erica Bonilla

Profile:
CF Newb starting Monday

Hi! I'm new to CF. I bought a 3 month CF deal on Groupon for my local box. I'm looking to get into shape and get my fitness and endurance back. I used to run and join races (5K, 10K, and half-marathons, long-mile bike rides, etc) and I currently and am on a recreational adult women's soccer league. I have not run distance in almost 2 years, and am not nearly as active as I used to be. I want to get back to my mid-20's type of endurance and stamina (I'm 37 y/o).

I don't follow any time of established "diet" plan but I live and eat clean. There are no processed foods in my house, red meat once every two weeks or so, lots of fish and seafood, and chicken. Vegetables are daily. For the last 2 months, I've committed to juicing using my new juicer which I love. I'll replace 1-2 meals a day with juice, but have not done a complete juice fast (diet).

I'm nervous but excited. I want to steer clear from injury, but I'm ready to take on this CF challenge. I start Monday because the instructor said all his classes are full for the rest of the week. I've done Barry's Boot Camp classes, and still *TRY* to work out as much as possible, though I know it's not nearly enough.

Any first time advice. And I mean, complete first timer!
Old 03-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Danny Edwards

Profile:
Re: CF Newb starting Monday

Welcome. First, learn proper form and movement- your box should help with this. I don't know nearly as much as those in this community, but I can tell you that I am 39 and have been at it now for a little more than two years. I am in WAY better shape than a 20's version of myself and I thought I was rather fit then. You should be able to attain that goal for sure.

Good luck!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
jeramy park

Profile:

Welcome to the site. Its great you decided to take it upon yourself to better your fitness. No matter what you do, its probably more than you are doing now. My advice would be to take it easy at first to learn proper form, dont worry about what others are doing only focus on yourself. Once you get the hang of it, push yourself and have fun. Good luck and keep track of your progress.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
Hoku Kinzie

Profile:

Congrats and I'm sure you'll have a blast meeting new folks and pushing yourself beyond what you thought you were capable of! As for replacing meals with juicing you may find that you won't be getting enough "fuel" in your body after doing a few CF wods. Everyone's different, but I know I personally need a good amount of protein, veggies, and fats after a workout!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
Tristan Hoyle

Profile:

Keep a log! One of the best feelings in CrossFit is looking bak sometimes even just a few months and thinking "Wow, I would destroy that time now" or seeing your old max lifts and you have gained 20-30lbs on them. One of the main things with CrossFit is that it is observable, measurable, and repeatable. A log is your best friend when it comes to that aspect.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
Erica Bonilla

Profile:

Eeek! 2 more hours! I'm excited. A good friend of mine who has been at it for 4 months at another box is joining me for support. And just yesterday at an Easter party, I met a girl who's 1 month in and she just loves it. She was also excited for me! I'm already feeling the support and encouragement from CFers not even in the box that I will be going to tonight! Can't wait! (Ok, not gonna lie...super scared but ready!)
Old 04-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Erica Bonilla

Profile:

Day 1 was AWWWWEESOME! I'm actually just a little sore. I did a modified WOD:

21 KB swings
800m run
21 KB swings
400m run
21 KB swings
250m run

This was after the warm-up (which is in itself a workout! Whew!)

I absolutely loved it. My box is small but everyone was great! I had to current CFers from another box there with me for support (there was no room for them in the class which they wanted to take) and my husband came to watch. He will now be signing up and joining me at tonight's 6:00pm class! I'm so excited!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
Jon Hanover

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica Bonilla View Post
Day 1 was AWWWWEESOME! I'm actually just a little sore. I did a modified WOD:

21 KB swings
800m run
21 KB swings
400m run
21 KB swings
250m run

This was after the warm-up (which is in itself a workout! Whew!)

I absolutely loved it. My box is small but everyone was great! I had to current CFers from another box there with me for support (there was no room for them in the class which they wanted to take) and my husband came to watch. He will now be signing up and joining me at tonight's 6:00pm class! I'm so excited!
Looks like a fun workout! Remember, besides just showing up, you can watch a lot of videos online to improve your form on oly technique etc.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
Erica Bonilla

Profile:

Last night's workout was tough, but I finished. It was called "10 to 1"

10 Pushups (On the box or handstand)--I had to do regular.
10 Jumping Lunges
10 Burpees

9 Pushups
9 Jumping Lunges
9 Burpees

etc.

Followed by a 400m with a weighted ball.

So sore this morning, but I love it!
Old 04-12-2013, 03:14 AM   #10
Stephen Morgan

Profile:

I've only just started too and loving it!!!!! like the look of this 10 -1 workout im going to give it a crack tonight! Thanks