CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-19-2004, 10:00 PM   #1
Joseph Blaire

Profile:
Hey Everybody,
I did the recent 10k run WOD as a 10 K row on the Concept 2 Rower. My question is while the Row was not easy it didn't take as much out of me as a 10k run would. I did the 10k row in 54 Minutes, which I know is not a good time but it was at a brisk pace. After and during the workout my legs where worked hard and felt like jelly when I was finished. However, I wasn't winded at all like I would be if I ran 10k (6 miles). Hell, I don't even know if I could run 10k. I guess what I'm asking is does the Concept 2 rower really compare to running?Because it seems way easier to me. I want to push myself so I guess next time I'll run the 10k.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:35 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Joseph, I know the feeling! I looked at the 10k run and thought, "it's cold out. . .I'll just do the row." Then I thought, "you commited to running every time it came up, do it you wimp!" I did and ran a PR. Running is, by far, my weak point. I ignored it for a very long time and bought into the, you only have to lift B.S. I'm paying for that now. I think the running takes more out of you physically and mentally than the rowing. . . exactly what, I don't know, but others will.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:39 AM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Joe:

C2 rowing is often presented as a "next-best" substitute to running in the WOD if you simply can't run . . . but I think it's exactly that, a substitute (not an equivalent "alternative"). Rowing trains the body in some marvelous ways, but running is sufficiently different to be necessary for complete all-around fitness.

My own experience (and performance) of the rowing substitution for running is almost exactly the same as yours (right down to the times for a 10k row). It definitely stresses the legs, and lungs, but still seems easier than a run of the same duration.

Face it, we gotta run.

But, when it's 8 degrees outside (this morning here in NJ), that's not gonna be fun. Treadmills are a whole 'nother story ... again, sufficiently different from "real" running to make me wonder about the equivalence . . .
Old 12-20-2004, 05:56 AM   #4
John Frazer

Profile:
I agree, my only 10K row time so far was several minutes faster than my 10K run (or 10K point of a 10-miler), and I didn't feel nearly as winded.

The hard part for me was maintaining a grip, my fingers felt like a mess by the end.

JF
Old 12-20-2004, 01:02 PM   #5
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Gravity. That seems to be the missing ingredient from rowing. You're sitting for an extended period and the heart doesn't have to work as hard to get the blood from the legs to the lungs. Also, gravity's effect on the upper torso can be felt once into a run. Specifically, I feel the pull on my shoulders and rib cage around mile 2, and it doesn't stop until I rest my hands on something.
That's my unscientific .02!
Old 12-20-2004, 02:27 PM   #6
Joseph Blaire

Profile:
That's sounds about right to me Ron.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:08 PM   #7
Pat Janes

Profile:

I did the 10km run this morning. It is the 1st time I've run any more than 5km; and I hadn't even run as far as that until I started doing the WOD.

Previously, I've substituted 50 mins of rowing (computer on the rower is broken so I had to guess), shorter runs (5km) and something completely different, but I know I was missing out.

I've always had bad knees (ilio-tibial band syndrome been giving me hell on/after the long runs), but I've been treating them nicely with stretching, ice, anti-inflammatories and they're doing much better.

To be honest, the idea of a 10km run just plain freaked me out. I've never been much for distance running, but this morning I finally decided to give it a go. My knees are making me pay now, but I wouldn't change it for anything; setting out for a 10km, pushing myself through it and finishing without a pause, when you hate running, is a great feeling.

Although, next time I move house, I'm moving somewhere flat, because the hills around here are steep and long, and I hate them with a passion...
Old 12-20-2004, 05:12 PM   #8
Pat Janes

Profile:

Oh... one more thing.

Running for distance (and 10km is a fair way) is an extremely functional ability. I fully agree with CrossFit's emphasis on shorter, sprint like efforts (mostly 400-800m). But every now and then, throwing in a distance effort is an excellent gauge of another facet of fitness.

It is a "real-life" skill that could be called upon just as much as lifting heavy things, climbing over obstacles etc.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:50 PM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Great job Pat! I think it is an intresting measure of how well short CF workouts prepares you for long distance efforts. Two years ago if you told me I could do one long run a month and improve every month, while training with weights and occasional sprints through out the month I would have thought you were crazy.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:30 PM   #10
Edward D. Friedman

Profile:
Pat,

As a guy who used to enjoy running long distances but stopped because of knee issues, I have recently been looking at www.chirunning.com because of it's purportedly excellent results with such situations. ( www.posetech.com may also be of interest to you, but I am leaning toward the chi site.)

I don't intend to return to a "diet" of mostly LSD running, but it's great to feel you can do it effectively and painlessly when called upon ( ie;
the functional aspect.)

Perhaps this may help your knees as well. I probably won't give this much serious attention until the spring, but I'll post any worthwhile feedback I may have.

Eddie