CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-10-2011, 06:32 AM   #1
Kev Wyness

Profile:
Crossfit beginner and older

Hello All
I have not tried crossfit before and am nearing 50. I lift weights, cycle and played rugby however are there WOD's for beginning old folks? If so where do I get them....please??? Thanks
Old 08-10-2011, 07:18 AM   #2
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: CrossFit beginner and older

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev Wyness View Post
Hello All
I have not tried CrossFit before and am nearing 50. I lift weights, cycle and played rugby however are there WOD's for beginning old folks? If so where do I get them....please??? Thanks
Hi Kev

Older folks follow the same WODs as younger folks.

With this said there are several things to keep in mind for everyone.

1) Most older athletes find warming up to become more and more important and often takes longer to accomplish.

2) Scale workouts into your personal correct range. See BrandX scaling to get scald down versions of Mainsite programing.

3) Beware of your mobility. In the beginning lack of mobility will most often show up in the inability to maintain good form. Got tight shoulders, racking the bar well will be tough. Work slowly and carefully through mobility issues.

4) The older we get the more rest it takes to recover from heavy lifting and long met-cons. We can do both no problem but we may need an extra day for recovery the younger ones don't need. Get 7+ hours of sleep every night.

5) Be more risk adverse when working out. It takes us older folks much longer to recover from injuries then the young ones. As a result of this we should not push the edges of the envelope as much. Because we pay a higher price in terms of length of recovery then the young ones.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
Bill Houghton

Profile:
Re: Crossfit beginner and older

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev Wyness View Post
Hello All
I have not tried crossfit before and am nearing 50. I lift weights, cycle and played rugby however are there WOD's for beginning old folks? If so where do I get them....please??? Thanks
Ken - check out the "Over 50 CrossFitters" fourm for some truly inspiring men and women. http://board.crossfit.com/showthread...9&goto=newpost WFS